Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil Consum.. Long Road Trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:33 PM
QUIX is infamous around these parts
Oil Consum.. Long Road Trip

I have around 850 miles on the ticker of my new 07 RS4.. Reading a couple posts about Oil Consum and referring to the owners' manual I checked the oil.... "MIN"... So I added a quart of recommended oil..

My question is how much longer is this huge oil consumption going to take? I understand that breakin period there is a time for large amounts of oil consumption but when can I look for a break?

I am taking a road trip to my new Air Force base , approx 1500 miles, Would it be wise to take a couple quarts of oil, because I am stil in my breakin period at this time? Suggestions?

Kind of related.. I noticed a couple fluid spots in my drive way after I left for the gym.. Possible oil leak? I have been monitoring it for the past couple hours and nothing has formed.... Possible for it to be Oil? Hydro Fluid? Coolant? ...

Thanks,
-=Art=-

Old 07-23-2007, 02:29 PM
kem
kem is infamous around these parts
It is pretty well documented that oil consumption/oil dilution are common for the RS4 engine. I believe the problem is more severe during the first 10K miles. Some people have recommended changing the oil at 2500 miles as a percaution, and then letting it be changed at 5K miles again for the regular dealer service. After that I would recommend you change it every 5K not every 10K like audi says.

I believe due to the high revving nature of the engine and also the FSI technology there is oil dilution that has been noticed and it would be well for you car to always have fresh oil.

Also, as someone with some miles on his, I had mine changed at 10K and now I'm at 12,500+ miles and still do not need to add yet. So I think it will get better for you too.

GL!