Item Condition:

986 Boxster FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
teckcar13 is infamous around these parts
986 Boxster FOR SALE

I have a 1997 Boxster...5 Speed Maual

ASKING for Offers.....Retail is around 17k and I cannot find many Boxsters in my area with 40k Miles for under 20.

Red with black interior. Only 40,000 miles, always garaged, new Michelin performance tires, new top, runs well, and looks like new!
-Very Clean
-Perfect CarFAX
-Accident Free
-New Michelin Pilot Sport Tires(1500 miles)
-New Top in 2007
-Oil just Changed at 38000 miles
-California Car cover included
This Boxster is in great condition and will be sitting for the winter. Fiance wants to move on to an SUV and need the garage space.
Email me @ BREID@gmu.edu
Call 540 840 7751

Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Dan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud ofDan98 has much to be proud of
wow , 101 posts

Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM
yeah 101...I needed a few posts I had not made in a while...needed to post this up for my fiance

Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I have had a few PMs...Anyone else interested

Old 01-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I have had offers around 15k anyone have a better offer

Old 01-20-2008, 04:42 PM
allenjdmb is infamous around these parts
I don't have all the facts, but I think I would...

take the 15k and run. 97 Boxsters are not really desirable merchandise, espcially with no options (read: 16" wheels). Other problem is that there's not a bunch of financing avaialable on an 11 year old car, and the average person who buys that car is going to need it. It's probably their first Porsche, or real car of any sort, and quick math tells me that $15k for 30 months or so is 5/600 a month, plus repairs and maintenance. Just my .02...

Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Fastback is infamous around these parts
Teckcar,

Don't be discouraged by Boxster haters.

1) They're not desirable cars - Interesting. I wonder who bought the 250,000 of them that Porsche has produced thus far. I wonder why, in addition to countless accolades it's received since, it received the following in 1997 alone:
  • Car and Driver– One of the 10 Best Cars of 1997
  • Automobile – Automobile of the Year
  • Motor– 1997 Performance Car of the Year
  • Autocar– Best Roadster in the World
  • Motorweek – 1997 Drivers Choice for Best Sports Car
  • The Philadelphia Inquirer – Best Sports Car of the Decade
  • Newsweek– One of the Best New Products of 1997
  • Business Week – One of the Best New Products of 1997
  • American Marketing Association – Best New Product of 1997
  • Automobile Journalists of Canada – 1997 Car of the Year
  • Automobile Journalists of Canada – Best Design of 1997
2) It's tough to get financing on a car of that age - Hmmmm. Maybe if your credit sucks. Otherwise, you can get financing for anything you want.

3) Your potential buyers will need financing because it will likely be their first real car - Really...Interesting.

Lets look at the flip side -

1) It's a great handling, affordable, two seat convertible.
2) It's a desirable color combination
3) It appears to be in very nice shape
4) Spring is coming
5) The '97 is not as desirable as the 2000 on...but it is more desirable than the '98 or '99 because the '97 didn't have the porous engine block problems that plagued
the '98 and '99.

Try 986forum.com. There are always people looking for 986s over there. 15 grand isn't bad money for the car. You should be able to squeeze a few more bucks out of it when the weather gets better, but you probably won't break 20k on a '97 when later model 986S cars are available in the low 20s.

Good luck.

Last edited by Fastback; 01-20-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Agree w/Fastback. Many Boxster haters have never driven one. The Boxster/Cayman S is my #2 choice amongst the newer Porsches (996/997 era) behind the GT3. '97 Boxsters in the $12-16 range is probably the best sports car buy for 1st or multiple P-car owners. Show up at an autocross or track day and you'll embarass a lot of drivers in more expensive Porsches!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 PM
allenjdmb is infamous around these parts
Didn't say I didn't like em....what I said was..

that in THIS marketplace, an 11 year old car at middle teens money is tough to sell. And I stand by that. I really don't think a heavy enthusiast board is going to be the right place for an inexpensive Boxster as well. Could we agree that most folks here are deeply into the Porsche religion? (I am--and am well past wanting a first year 2.5 Boxster with 16" wheels). Hey, this will make an excellent starter Porsche or toy car. But top of the market for a 97 Boxster? Very average cars can be readily bought for 11-12k. No, they are not as nice as this one appears to be, and they have 80k, not 40. Unfortunately, some issues will be the same with both (#5/6 cyl cooling issues, RMS issues, top issues, rear window issues, seat belt light issues). Maybe you noticed by now, I've owned a few of these, from cheap to really nice ones. And I enjoyed them. Might even own another one or two.
As far as the financing goes, perhaps you have not tried to finance an 11 year old car lately. It ain't what it used to be. It has nothing to do with poor credit. It has everything to do with pressure from big lenders put on them by manufacturers and their credit arms. Your big commercial bank won't touch it. And I would encourage you to see exactly what kind of terms you can get on one. 30 months is a generous reality figure. What kind of rate do you think goes with that? And even though many folks here may not, most Americans DO need financing. In case you haven't noticed, the new car business is struggling mightily, and this means cheap, long term financing on new and nearly new cars--and I don't mean just Kias either. BMW, Mercedes and Porsche all have low interest financing on their cars--and oh yeah, did I mention they have warranties too? Have you checked you local big city paper this weekend? Porsche dealers have a low mile, farily low drive off lease on a NEW Boxster at less than $500 a month.

I was only trying to say--perhaps poorly--that hanging on for another couple grand in THIS economy--with an 11 model year old car (and the first year of production I might add, with its associated issues)--might not be the best idea. There are some GREAT buys on stuff out there right now, given the state of the car business, and I wouldn't want to miss one by hanging on for another little bit of money.

That's all. Rant complete. Go ahead.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:59 AM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
I have observed, in our market, a number of "empty nesters" driving Boxsters (the early models) as the 3rd cars. They've paid for the kids college education and the house is paid off. They live in an area that would take a six figure income, so they have acheived "professional success".

Yes, prices on '97 Boxsters are soft, agreed. Still don't agree with the general statement made numerous times on many forums that Boxster's aren't performance cars. Buying the fastest car one can afford doesn't make for a good driver nor necessarily a fun car. A mid-engine, 217 hp car can be a blast and put a really big smile on the driver's face. My rant complete as well.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Former Vendor
PowertechSelect is infamous around these parts
I agree with allenjdmb.... If you can get $15k for the car, take it.

986 Boxsters (especially 97-02's) are GREAT values right now. Personally, I think they're incredible cars (especially for the money), and will likely pick one up (or a 987) sometime in the next year or two.

The fact is that they're just not selling for a lot of money. I recently saw an excellent 2001 with approx 48k miles that was in very nice shape for a little more than $18k!

Another data point is that 3-4 months ago I sold one for a customer of mine, it was her one-owner 1999 Boxster, nicely optioned with 48k on it for $17k...

Bottom line is that they are great cars that won't break the bank!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Trent is infamous around these parts
As a Boxster owner myself, I'd say take the $15K and run. I saw another 97 with moderate mileage sell for $13K a few months ago. I didn't pay attention to what options that car had, but seeing that you've got the 16" wheels and non-hifi audio, I'm guessing yours is pretty bare-bones.

I've got a 99 with 45K miles, and I'd be lucky to get $17K for it.. And mine has $12K worth of options!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:28 PM
SOLD...Thanks for all the info Everyone