Location (State):

Item Condition:

2005 Beck 550 Spyder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
ariA is infamous around these parts
2005 Beck 550 Spyder(Price Reduced)

Super fun weekend car that puts a smile on your face every time you start it up. Located in San Diego, CA with a asking price of $27,000. The vehicle was purchased from a fellow 6speeder about 2 months ago and I am realizing that I don't have the time to drive it as much as I would like. Since I purchased the car it has been driven a couple of times(75 miles added). Reference can be given to the previous owner who kept it garaged so the vehicle is in perfect condition. Vehicle is not registered in CA.

Rare black exterior/red leather interior
3,777 km or 2,346 miles
2165 VW cc engine*
3.88 pro-street trans*(4-speed)
Four wheel disc brakes*
Leather engine cover straps*
Fluted headlamp lenses*
Chrome mirrors*
Leather transaxle tunnel*
Leather shift boot*
Porsche shift *****
Nardi wood steering wheel*
Aluminum dash*
Chrome dash grad handle*
1955 Porsche tail lamps and front turn signals*

ariampudia@gmail.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	73777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2835.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	73778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2858.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	73779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2867.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	73780  

Last edited by ariA; 07-14-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
jjk996 is infamous around these parts
one of the nicest i've seen!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Does this have a VW vin in the rear cross member like most Beck's. Because there in no way to SB100 a fully built car in California anymore the Refs are hitting hard core.

But the VW vin method is still good.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM
kzrsoize is infamous around these parts
So this vehicle could not be registered until after jan/09, is that with all of these beck speedsters? Im in the market for one now so im concerned. gl with sale, i may hit you up if my tt sale goes through next month.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kzrsoize
So this vehicle could not be registered until after jan/09, is that with all of these beck speedsters? Im in the market for one now so im concerned. gl with sale, i may hit you up if my tt sale goes through next month.
Way off topic but important.

The 356's are built on VW pan's or most of one, so they have a vin to register, this is completely legal,since the motor layout and pretty much the running gear is a VW. Registered by the year of the pan as a VW. There are more 356 replica's and cobras running around then originals the ratio is something crazy like 7 to 1.

I have had four cars registered like this that were kits.

In the old days you could get a SPCN registration which is the same as SB100 is now but without the limit of 500 cars per year. I had two done like this it was a pain to transfer into my name but was done eventually.

SB100 is a flat pain rip, if you are not at the DMV at 8:30 in the morning on Jan 2nd with a appointment you WILL NOT get a number, its that simple. I have seen them go in as little as a hour. Remeber its not just kit cars but things that come out of Boyds shop, someone who built a glass 32, ATOMS's all that stuff gets rolled into this group.

They say its the equivalent of letting 2 cars into Ohio in a year because of the population here.

Now early 550 spyders like the becks, the thunderranchs and sometimes "vintage" would use the rear yokes out of a vw with the vin still attached to allow for the registration like the 356's as VW's but as good supplies of vw frames and titles has risen in price this is really no longer done. Also a lot of people think SB100 is the only thing that will stand up to legal challenge in the future.

SB100 requires that the frame/body and the drivetrain were purchased separately and installed by the registrar. Hence no turn key atoms into California.

I have built or owned about 8-9 kit cars so I know the regs at least as they stand now. If I felt that I could reliabliy get a SB100 number by just going to the DMV I would have a 65 Daytona in the garage right now being built. But at least for the short turm I am waiting it out because a number of cars improperly registered have had there registrations pulled the owners fined and the cars sold out of state or crushed.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful car. What do these run new?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Does this have a VW vin in the rear cross member like most Beck's. Because there in no way to SB100 a fully built car in California anymore the Refs are hitting hard core.

But the VW vin method is still good.
It does have the vin in the rear. I did not want to SB100 and go through the hassle but this is what I was told after having visited the local ref.

What is the VW vin method?

thanks...

Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by ariA
It does have the vin in the rear. I did not want to SB100 and go through the hassle but this is what I was told after having visited the local ref.

What is the VW vin method?

thanks...
Buy a registered VW hack the vin tag and yokes out of it and install it in the frame and keep the registration the same as the new vin. Throw the old one out. The current registration is flagged if you had to see a ref, and if you bought the car out of state you will never get that flag pulled off, ever.

550 being tube frame cars are much higher in inspection rate then the 356's. Chances are you could have a IMC 356 on a tube frame without any hassle but only the "Perry" spyders fall under the letter of the law in terms of registration as VW and they are rear engine no frame mods just replacement bodies.

California does not care what you drive as long as it passes smog and you pay full taxes. Since kit cars a a non standard item they don't have tax tables for them or smog/safety rules so they get uppity and they just shut down. Its a nightmare.

You can PM me for some more information if you want. If it had a SB I would e at your door looking at the car with a fist full of 100's.

Also DO NOT try to pull the title out of state and then bring it back in as something like a 55 Porsche. More then a few Cobra owners have had problems with this. In fact I sold a Shell Valley with correct SPCN registration and the owner tried to do this to title it as a 65 ford to refinance the car and lost it to the state.

www.cobracountry.com
www.cobraclub.com
www.spyderclub.com
www.ffrog.com

All these guys have good SB100 information.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Zuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant future
There is some really good info in this thread. Thank you Weary.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
very interested any better interior shots ??? thanks ben ..

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned
vk430gt is infamous around these parts
very interesting, we have been looking for a 550/1500rs but in silver, nice to see it in black but not the color we want.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by WheelB
very interested any better interior shots ??? thanks ben ..
Out of town at the moment, but will get you some interior pics within the next couple of days.

-ari

Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Black V12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Way off topic but important.

The 356's are built on VW pan's or most of one, so they have a vin to register, this is completely legal,since the motor layout and pretty much the running gear is a VW. Registered by the year of the pan as a VW. There are more 356 replica's and cobras running around then originals the ratio is something crazy like 7 to 1.

I have had four cars registered like this that were kits.

In the old days you could get a SPCN registration which is the same as SB100 is now but without the limit of 500 cars per year. I had two done like this it was a pain to transfer into my name but was done eventually.

SB100 is a flat pain rip, if you are not at the DMV at 8:30 in the morning on Jan 2nd with a appointment you WILL NOT get a number, its that simple. I have seen them go in as little as a hour. Remeber its not just kit cars but things that come out of Boyds shop, someone who built a glass 32, ATOMS's all that stuff gets rolled into this group.

They say its the equivalent of letting 2 cars into Ohio in a year because of the population here.

Now early 550 spyders like the becks, the thunderranchs and sometimes "vintage" would use the rear yokes out of a vw with the vin still attached to allow for the registration like the 356's as VW's but as good supplies of vw frames and titles has risen in price this is really no longer done. Also a lot of people think SB100 is the only thing that will stand up to legal challenge in the future.

SB100 requires that the frame/body and the drivetrain were purchased separately and installed by the registrar. Hence no turn key atoms into California.

I have built or owned about 8-9 kit cars so I know the regs at least as they stand now. If I felt that I could reliabliy get a SB100 number by just going to the DMV I would have a 65 Daytona in the garage right now being built. But at least for the short turm I am waiting it out because a number of cars improperly registered have had there registrations pulled the owners fined and the cars sold out of state or crushed.
Why not register your car out-of-state and be fine driving around on out-of-state plates? I don't get it.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 AM
blue997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Black V12
Why not register your car out-of-state and be fine driving around on out-of-state plates? I don't get it.
CA requires that all legal residents in CA have their cars CA registered within 20 days of arriving in CA.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by blue997
CA requires that all legal residents in CA have their cars CA registered within 20 days of arriving in CA.
Correct and because of CARB reg's the police have been instructed to pull over kit cars and check tags.

Now if say Arizona is your state of residence for federal taxes then yes you can do this, but you will be pulled over and harassed quite a bit and there is a limit to how long the car can stay in the state.