Location (State):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Collectors - Own an important piece of Porsche History!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 07:17 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Collectors - Own an important piece of Porsche History!

A good customer of mine is selling his, last remaining factory prototype, 930 Turbo. He can best explain it in this article he is about to have published in an upcoming edition of Porsche Owners Club magazine below. I will be happy to set up any interested parties with his contact information.

THE EARLIEST AND ONLY KNOWN PRE-SERIES FACTORY PROTOTYPE PORSCHE 930 TURBO CARRERA IN EXISTENCE

The history of Porsche 930 Turbos can be traced back to the early 70’s, when Porsche was searching for more horsepower and found they could almost double the horsepower of the Can-Am 917 engines with turbo-charging.

Porsche’s chief executive, Ernst Fuhrmann, was responsible for the development of the 930. However, accomplishments on the track in the United States Can-Am series were one thing, but translating these to the road would prove to be far more difficult. To see if a road application would work and to comply with FIA regulations for Turbo-charged engines, a 2142 cc engine was installed in a RSR chassis for the 24 Hour Le Mans 1974 race. After the surprising and sensational second place finish, creation of a high-performance road car seemed inevitable. The next step would require the production of 400 cars to be homologated into Group 4 racing within a 24 month period. The decision was made to produce these 400 cars and the Porsche 930 Turbo Carrera was born.

In the summer of 1975, at Porsche’s Zuffenhausen facility, four cars were singled out from the small series of U.S. 930 Turbos assembled prior to production. They were classified as pre-series vehicles. According to factory records, the four cars shipped to the U.S. were numbers 11, 12, 13 and 14. Numbers 11 and 12 were used for photographic purposes, while Numbers 13 and 14 were used for U.S. type approval, after which all four were sold as used cars.

Number 14 was originally sold to Pete Smith, former partner of Bob Smith Porsche in Hollywood, California. When Pete Smith obtained the car, it had 4,000 miles on the odometer, the mileage required for California emissions certification. Pete Smith subsequently sold the car to Steve Earle, who is the organizer of the Monterey Historic races every August. It was used as a daily driver by Steve Earle until he sold it to Dale Delanders, third-generation Owner, with his father, of Thomas Top and Upholstery in Hollywood, California.

I purchased number 14 in 1989 not really knowing its extensive history and significance. I then contacted the Porsche factory for any information they had on the car. After searching their records, they sent faxes confirming the vehicle number (9306800014), engine number (6860025, transmission number (760020) and original Oak Green color. All of this information was confirmed by a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche Cars North America, Inc. issued in May of this year.

Prior to my purchasing the Turbo, Andail Automotive did work on the heads and Turbo for Steve Earle, the second owner. When I acquired Number 14, all additional mechanical restoration and upgrading were performed by Pete Zimmerman at Redline Service in Santa Monica, including replacing all prototype items with later factory approved parts. Upgrades include late Turbo brakes, 16” x 7” and 16” x 9” factory Fuches wheels with Bridgestone Re-71’s and chain tensioners.

Number 14 came with a Brown leather interior with Red, Blue and Black Tartan inserts. This interior was later replaced with an entirely new factory Brown leather interior. I have been able to obtain the original interior, which includes the front and rear jump seats, the front and rear side panels and rear package tray with the original Tartan inserts and material.

In 2000, number 14 was given a down-to-bare-metal paint job in the original Oak Green by Brace’s Auto Body & Paint Service in Marina del Rey, California. It is rumored that this was a special color requested by Dr. Porsche himself.

Numbers 11, 12, 13 and 14 remain as the definitive vehicles that introduced Turbo-charging in passenger vehicles to the United States. After searching for 11, 12 and 13 for over 15 years, Number 14 remains the ONLY known pre-series factory prototype 1976 930 Turbo Carrera in existence.

This NUMBER 14 has a unique place in Porsche History and is still a joy and delight to take out on weekends.

A special thanks to Mr. Henry Rasmussen for his research, contributions and work in compiling the factory History of the development of the 930 and factory information and pictures for publication in the 1992 Edition of “Porsche Six-Cylinder Supercars”, which featured Number 14.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Thats unreal history...how much?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:44 AM
L Gancho is infamous around these parts
Wish I could add this beauty to the stable... I was born on Sept. 14 of '76!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
My dad had a 78 930 in that color when I was a kid. I loved that car, thanks for the memories. This car is a great peice of Porsche history.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:55 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marc996Miami
Thats unreal history...how much?
Don't know. He's saving the number for truly interested parties.

Or use this link:
Old 10-29-2006, 07:57 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
thats a cool cool car, will have to give my dad a look at it

Old 10-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
What number did he have in mind?

Old 10-29-2006, 08:59 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
is your friends first name ranson?

Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by steve harris
is your friends first name ranson?
Nope........

Or use this link:
Old 10-30-2006, 02:04 PM
133 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by L Gancho
Wish I could add this beauty to the stable... I was born on Sept. 14 of '76!

+1
Sept. 14th 82' for me

Old 11-03-2006, 11:05 AM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
how much???

Old 11-03-2006, 11:22 AM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Luis- We could split it.....

Old 11-04-2006, 07:10 AM
esemes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 133
+1
Sept. 14th 82' for me
+2

sept. 14 71' here.........

interesting........

Old 11-04-2006, 09:08 AM
133 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by esemes
+2

sept. 14 71' here.........

interesting........

I must know about 8 people that I am actually close with who have that same birthday...

oh and SWEET car!!!

Old 11-04-2006, 04:32 PM
The car has been appraised at $150,000 due to it's verified authenticity.

That's what he would like for it.

Or use this link:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Collectors - Own an important piece of Porsche History!