Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Cheapest car in 6speed classifieds history

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:05 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Cheapest car in 6speed classifieds history

1981 Volkswagen Rabbit cabriolet $800

225K miles on the body, approximately 39K on the motor.

The stock 8-valve engine was rebuilt approximately 10 years ago with the following parts added at the time:

2.0L stroker utilizing Dodge Omni crank and rods
Techtonics Tuning pistons
Techtonics Tuning cylinder head (which includes port/polish, oversize valves, stiffer springs, retainers, and

G-grind cam)
Techtonics Tuning exhaust (no catyletic convertor)
Neuspeed throttlebody
Fairly new interstate battery

Drivetrain:

Shortened gearbox (5-speed)
Quaiffe Limited Slip Differential
new clutch 39K ago when the engine was rebuilt

Suspension:

Bilstein shocks
Eibach springs
Neuspeed upper front strut-tower bar
Custom lower tie bar

Wheels/Tires:

15x6.5 Rota Attack wheels
Yokohama AVS-ES100 tires 205/50-15

Interior:

MOMO Monte Carlo Steering wheel
GTI Triple gauge cluster in lower console

Extras: I have the factory convertible top tonneau cover and 2 boxes of extras with the following parts.

3 x air filter
2 x oil filter
1 set spark plugs
1 complete set inner and outter cv boots
3 wheel bearings
1 new pair of Tokico Illumina rear shocks
2 front motor mount rubber
misc. front turn signal, side marker and rear taillight lenses
1 front grille with chrome trim, very good condition with foglights
2 driver's side mirrors
1 upper radiator hose
1 lower radiator hose
1 radiator thermostat
1 dash face
1 gauge cluster
1 glovebox door
1 rearview mirror
2 new fuel pumps and 1 used
1 oe horns
1 cam belt cover
1 lower steering column cover
2 side marker lenses (1 orange, 1 red)
1 locking fuel cap
misc. interior trunk panels, clamps, bushings and more

The good:

The car was built with a lot of care and attention by a reputable Porsche repair/tuning facility in North Hollywood,

TRE Motorsports. I bought it from the manager of TRE, who bought it from his friend that purchased the car new in

Southern California. The car has been in SoCal almost its entire life, except for a short stint in San Francisco.

It doesn't have any structural rust and the frame is in solid condition with no big accidents, all panel gaps are

uniform. All the lenses are there and aren't broken. The car has never left me stranded and fires up every time,

although it takes a few pumps and a few seconds after sitting for a while. The door panels appear to be fairly new

and are in great shape, the seats are also in pretty nice shape with only a 2-inch tear in the driver's side

bolster. Rear seat is dirty, but no tears, dash is near pefect with no warping or cracking, even at the leading

edge. Overall it would make a great AutoX car, car to learn stick shift on, project car, or beach cruiser, which is

what I have used it for. Even with all the performance parts, you can still pump 87 octane and get great fuel

mileage.

The bad:

The car has a bunch of small things wrong with it. The turn signals and taillights don't work (although the

headlights, brake and reverse do), the steering column bearing drifts and falls, causing the steering wheel to

shudder over large bumps, the exhaust hangers are shot and cause some vibration at idle. The engine is somewhat

down on power and out of tune and hesitates when coming off idle, but picks up nicely above 2000 rpm and revs clean

past the redline on the tach. I thought it might have been the head-gasket, but upon closer inspection it doesn't

seem like it. It runs cool, even in the summer heat, but the fan needs to be constantly switched on. The paint, or

what's left of it, is nothing to write home about, and the body has some dents which could be pulled out fairly

easily. Same can be said about the convertible top, which leaks around the rear window and at the leading edge,

although the inner liner is in good shape. Driver's seat has aformentioned tear in bolster on driver's side and

recline/ fore-aft adjustment does not work. It has no radio or A/C and will need new rear tires, although the

fronts are fine. Finally, it won't pass smog in CA due to no catyletic convertor, although if you put one on, it'll

pass fine.

Overall the car is all there and has quite a few really nice parts on it and a bunch of extras to keep it on the

road for a very long time at minimal cost. It ran me an additional $30/year to insure it on the family policy, so

it's cheap. It would make a great project car for someone who wants to get their hands dirty with something simple

to work on and cheap to maintain, or just drive the wheels off of it.

Asking $800, I would prefer if you emailed me at zamirz@gmail.com, but PM is fine (might take a little longer for me

to respond) for any additional pic requests, info and/or to setup an appointment to come and check it out. The car

is in Woodland Hills, CA in the San Fernando Valley, approximately 35 minutes northwest of downtown L.A.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of

Old 07-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 PM
jito504 is infamous around these parts
Pimp. That's a lot of car for 800.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM
The Pun
Perfect 6speed company car for Jimbo.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 PM
dphouse is infamous around these parts
Are you willing to take a trade? I have a mint 2000 Mustang GT 5spd Atlantic Blue on Grey leather that i'm willing to get rid of. It has roughly 60k miles and is in great condition. It's lowered on Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. Oh, the stock rims were powdercoated not too long ago. It puts down approximately 240 to the rear wheels. However, the car does need a new clutch.

What do you say?

Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 AM
NYSpeedRacer84 is infamous around these parts
Not bad for an '81 car...

Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 AM
saintv90 is infamous around these parts
Pimp My ride should be calling you!! This car is SCREAMING 42 inch PLASMA in the back!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 AM
club411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the roughclub411 is a jewel in the rough
Car is so gangsta! Shank - YOU NEED THIS!

Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
are you willing to part it out?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM
TraderHal, I don't have the time to, otherwise it's easily worth over $1200 in parts.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Smurf is infamous around these parts
This is way out of my price range but kudos on having a very complete advertisement.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 AM
FB123 is infamous around these parts
I agree the ad was incredibly detailed. You should have paid yourself more than the asking price just to write that whole thing. Cheers!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
Amir you did a great job with the write up, only if people selling $50-60k cars would do the same.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I've gotten more hits here than in all the other places I have advertised combined, it's probably because the thread title is catchy, lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cheapest car in 6speed classifieds history