Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

New Guy Saying Thanks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:27 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
New Guy Saying Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks, as i have read many of the messages on this section and the information here is perhaps the best on the web for newer production Bentley models. Especially appreciate the reprogramming info, front lower bumper protection piece and DICE mod. The information you guys posted on those may indeed come in handy
A new to me 2006 CGT triple black should be arriving tomorrow.

As we racers say, keep the shiny side up.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 PM
spyder625 is infamous around these parts
Can wait to see pictures, Congrads!!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Thx, though bummed because dealer had a snag. She'll be here Wed.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:49 AM
spyder625 is infamous around these parts
Hope everything works out for you today!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM
SSIIICK is infamous around these parts
Congrats. You can never go wrong with a CGT. Post some pictures when you take delivery.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Pics below

Driving impressions later tonight. Keep in mind i have regularly driven one of those red cars from Italy on the track/street and also raced an F2000 (won the driver's champion title). Again, driving impressions later this evening.

Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Very nice! Congrats.

Suggest you close your hood before going fast though!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM
jmchugh1101 is infamous around these parts
Great buy man! Enjoy!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes, the hood was closed, was taking some pics... Still, many thanks for the heads up!

Driving Impressions:

As for driving impressions. From stop to getting her going she can be calmly demure or, with the appropriate full pedal, she takes off like a brute. Frankly, better than the F2000. Have a feeling it is the 4WD that just grabs and holds (plus the brand new tires help of course). This brings up the dual personality of the car. She can be really nice and smooth and collected with subtle inputs, yet change a few settings and 'get on it' and she is a beast you need to be careful with. Steering feel at full stop to slow forward (like during turns at a traffic light) is extremely light to almost being that of full power assist). Once she is moving the street wheel feel is quite good, with nice feedback. Not 'direct' like a Ferrari or the F2000, yet gives you a good idea what the front grip is doing.

During spirited turns she is composed, generally flat, and digs in. She does not feel as heavy as she is. While i would not say totally crisp and the ultimate of precision, it is very good. Makes me wonder how low the CG is as it related to the suspension points/chassis/ground. Of course the car will not do 3+G like the F2000, yet grip is better than expected for what she is (which is big and heavy).

Medium speed (40 mph) traffic circle she easily stayed flat and had more than enough grip. Too much traffic on the road in the afternoon to try the circle at speeds to see what the 'skidpad' would be/feel like.

Hmmm... what else. Oh, the stereo actually sounds pretty darn good once i set the DSP mode to Driver Optimum (or whatever the DSP mode is called) and then adjusted the balance/fader and treble/mid/bass.

Brakes? Oh yeah, this puppy has 'em. Makes no sense having all that GO if you can not STOP her. The new brake pads on all corners probably help of course. The rotors are metal, not CF like the newer models and i disliked the CF when i tested the 2008 Speed and 4-seater a few years back. Easy enough to modulate and control the brakes for smooth stops or the desired reduction on forward movement.

No really major blind spots and the rear/side mirrors are very usable.

There is more yet have to get back to work as have been playing hookey all afternoon
Frankly, this car makes the 2008 Speed and four seater i tested seem like the 'old' car and this 2006 feel like the evolution that is a better sorted version. Maybe the factory did some tweaking to the electronic dynamic handling, etc?

PS: Can't believe i am typing this, as those who know me realize my love of the right pedal. The accelerator response is FAR BETTER than the 2008 Speed i test drove during a press event catered by the factory. Very little delay and smooth power or PLENTY of power given the input. The pedal is also a bit sensitive so careful use is key if you are just smoothly cruising along and then want to pass someone yet stay within reasonable foward movement limits.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-23-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 AM
More thoughts/impressions:

This car reminds me of a movie script sequence in Pulp Fiction, with a few writer's embellishments:

LANCE
Now this is the AMG CL65 from Germany. Very good stuff. This is Maserati, different, but equally good. And this is the Bentley CGT from England. Now the first two are the same, a hundred and forty-five or so each -- those are friend prices -- but this one... (pointing to the Bentley) ...this one's a little more expensive, but when you drive it, you'll know where that extra money went. Nothing wrong with the first two. It's real, real, real, good sh*t. But this Bentley is a f--kin' madman.

That about sums it up as the more i drove the Bentley CGT the more one could get a better grasp for the dual persona and unleash either of them when desired. Usually to pass someone on the road i simply mash down on the loud pedal and make the appropriate steering inputs. If there is one thing the Bentley has taught me is that the loud pedal is to be respected. The usual mashing down of the pedal is answered with outstanding forward launch of acceleration. Have a feeling this car has been chipped by a previous owner because she feels very reactive to throttle inputs... and with authority.

Seriously guys, and my close friends who know how i drive and handle cars, the Bentley has taken me by surprise (pleasantly). Combined with the 4WD she really grips and holds her footing. Maybe some time behind the wheel of a new Lambo would help me get a better understanding of mass power combined with 4WD. This is no Boy Toy WRXi. Anyone have a Lambo they can lend me for a track event at Watkins Glen

PS: And the in-seat back messager feels soooooooooooo good.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-22-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:42 PM
mburnstein is infamous around these parts
Hi Steve, Wonder why the 06 GT feels more powerful or a better drive than the 08 GT Speed you drove when they had them a dealers for test drives?

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Yes, the hood was closed, was taking some pics... Still, many thanks for the heads up!

Driving Impressions:

There is more yet have to get back to work as have been playing hookey all afternoon
Frankly, this car makes the 2008 Speed and four seater i tested seem like the 'old' car and this 2006 feel like the evolution that is a better sorted version. Maybe the factory did some tweaking to the electronic dynamic handling, etc?

PS: Can't believe i am typing this, as those who know me realize my love of the right pedal. The accelerator response is FAR BETTER than the 2008 Speed i test drove during a press event catered by the factory. Very little delay and smooth power or PLENTY of power given the input. The pedal is also a bit sensitive so careful use is key if you are just smoothly cruising along and then want to pass someone yet stay within reasonable froward movement limits.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:32 AM
Here is my best effort at a guess:

The factory tweaked the dynamic programming of the electronic fly-by-wire system for better human intuitive input and also optimized it for faster input/output. Another suspicion is that the car here may have a non-factory exhaust and has been 'chipped' per se. i can not verify the exhaust or chipping, as have not been able to locate the previous owner to verify the modifications.

While you did not directly ask about the brakes, it was one of my big gripes during the test drive of the 08 Speed. i came away from the 08 Speed UNDER impressed with the way the CF brakes reacted to driver input. So you know, i have driven many car plus a very large America truck with a 21 foot enclosed trailer to various track events. In the F2000, for example, you need brute force as it is a totally unassisted system COMBINED with the ability of subtle pressure modulation once you reach the grip threshold of the tire as it pertains to the track surface and conditions. When it came time to drive the 08 Speed, no matter how i tried to deal with the CF brakes they were more of an ON/OFF switch than something that could be finessed or brute forced. And yes, during my multi-hour test drive i tried the CF brakes 'cold' and 'hot'. Since these are drive-by-wire systems, the manufacturer can make changes to the feel and handling of the vehicle via new programming code.

Of course the only REAL way to make a modern comparison would be to test drive a 08 Speed TODAY as then one would know if the 08 is still the same or if the factory made such changes. As the two vehicles i test drove were supplied directly from the factory, including support personal from the factory, one would assume they were in 'perfect' and up to date operating condition.

Personally, other than weight savings and longer operating lifespan, CF brakes do not really provide that much much better braking given the normal driving conditions of this type of vehicle. For hard track use it would better due to less possibility of brake fade and lower rotating mass. In F1 CF brakes are NEEDED as the heat generated is too extreme for normal brake metal composition. Perhaps a compromise would be that next time she need rotors i will have my brake engineers, who worked for Brembo and designed systems for Ferrari, etc for many years and went private with a partner who was a top Porsche brake engineer... and they now design for various race teams... The next time she needs rotors will probably have them fabricate up some aluminum hat floating SLOTTED rotors design as this will lower the rotational mass combined with the benefits of the slot's wiping effect. Am not a fan of drilled rotors as have seen too many of them play 'connect the dots' (cracking). Frankly, am not even sure slotted is 'needed' either so solid face would be fine just like stock configuration.

Hope that better explains my opinion and how it was reached.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-23-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:23 AM
mburnstein is infamous around these parts
Sounds like your 06 CGT might have the GIAC ECU flash, making it more powerful than the GT Speed. Your car is a nice change of pace from the Ferrari I bet! Do you think Mark Levinson would want one and then place some Red Rose Music gear into it !!! Hahaha!Regards Mark
mburnste@dmc.org

Old 04-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Yes, it is a nice change of 'pace' from the recently past cars. Agree, have my suspicions the car has been 'chipped' as this may explain the throttle response and power output. Of course this has nothing to do with the brakes.

As for Mark the person, best bet is to seek out equipment designed by John Curl as he is a true genius (see www.parasound.com/pdfs/JCinterview.pdf ). John designs audio gear for Parasound nowadays plus John is truly a gentleman and honorable in his business transactions. For those unfamiliar, the brand name Mark Levinson is very good stuff and owned by Harmon International (same folks who own JBL, Infinity, Lexicon, Studer, AKG, etc). Harmon International is totally different than Mark Levinson the person and whatever company he may represent at any given time (what is he on, company number four or five nowadays LOL).

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 04-23-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM
john36 is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the purchase. Post some pics of the exhaust and I'm sure some members will be able to tell if it's aftermarket. Also you can most likely call GIAC and give them the vin# to find out if it's been flashed. Some companies also stamp or place a sticker on the ecu if they flash it, so you may check that as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Guy Saying Thanks