Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Found continental gt / damage report on carfax...please advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
what's the mileage? if it's high mileage like the one in CA you mentioned, i would opt for the one in CA. it lacks the mulliner pkg but at least it's a clean car. alternatively, renegotiate the price to $70k on this car. you can't lose at that price, even if the bumper was resprayed.

the dealer doing the inspection also services the seller's car right? so they may not want to tell you something that'd **** off their client, the seller. just keep that in mind. it is kind of strange that the dealer is making remarks abt no prior damage etc. they usually will not do that in fear of liability. a good repair can be nearly impossible to detect.

are you paying for the ppi on top of the $1k deposit?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:28 PM
wasuki is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by djantlive
what's the mileage? if it's high mileage like the one in CA you mentioned, i would opt for the one in CA. it lacks the mulliner pkg but at least it's a clean car. alternatively, renegotiate the price to $70k on this car. you can't lose at that price, even if the bumper was resprayed.

the dealer doing the inspection also services the seller's car right? so they may not want to tell you something that'd **** off their client, the seller. just keep that in mind. it is kind of strange that the dealer is making remarks abt no prior damage etc. they usually will not do that in fear of liability. a good repair can be nearly impossible to detect.

are you paying for the ppi on top of the $1k deposit?
yea I paid $550 for the inspection, the guy at the dealership is not affiliate with the seller in anyway, and I take back that he said there is no damage, he will however test it paint meter on Monday to find out the paint condition. So far I paid $1550 including deposit and PPI.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Hmm.. already 1.5k into this... and your $1k deposit is non-refundable.

Tell ya what- Carfax is not always dependable (on either side of the coin, actually). They don't always show damage when they should, and sometimes there are errors in showing things they should not.

All that said, there are plenty of Continental GT's for sale with low mileage, and are in stellar condition.

So you have to decide what you are going to eat here:

1. your $1.5k expenditure if you walk away
or
2. A carfax showing damage to this car and the perception potential buyers will have when you offer it for sale... and how much $$ that might cost you on the flip side.

You have an uncomfortable choice to make either way, even if your paint test comes up roses. Best of outcome to you, my friend.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 11-20-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM
touch choice indeed. Very frustrated, I think $$$ the cost will wind up higher when I eventually resell the car, chances are I will eat the 1.5k as a lesson well learned, I should've checked carfax first even though autocheck was perfect, my mistake, also learned bentley dealer's $550 charge didn't get me the results I wanted, they didn't even check for paint work, bit disappointed, well since I booked the flight to vegas anyway I might as well have a good time with my wife. Guess it's just another curve ball I have to dodge in life.....

I found another 1 owner 05 GT (NON mulliner) with no story clean carfax, all service done asked for 80K agreed on $72k 26k miles dark sapphire shows 2 owners on carfax, old lady been driving it over the past 5 years (private seller in LA) and it's only 4 hours away from vegas, who knows I might fly there and drive it back to vegas for a few days before ship it back to Texas.... what do you guys think? good deal? should I bother to use CARCHEX?

Thanks for the comments and feedback, you guys are AWESOME@@@!!!

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Hmm.. already 1.5k into this... and your $1k deposit is non-refundable.

Tell ya what- Carfax is not always dependable (on either side of the coin, actually). They don't always show damage when they should, and sometimes there are errors in showing things they should not.

All that said, there are plenty of Continental GT's for sale with low mileage, and are in stellar condition.

So you have to decide what you are going to eat here:

1. your $1.5k expenditure if you walk away
or
2. A carfax showing damage to this car and the perception potential buyers will have when you offer it for sale... and how much $$ that might cost you on the flip side.

You have an uncomfortable choice to make either way, even if your paint test comes up roses. Best of outcome to you, my friend.

Last edited by wasuki; 11-20-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
You should get ur deposit back if he never disclosed the carfax..thats misrepresntation. PLUS no dealer ever keeps the deposit..which dealer is this?? I buy alot of cars and I wont go there..thats for sure! Good luck and get your deposit back..thats BS!!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ruffinit
You should get ur deposit back if he never disclosed the carfax..thats misrepresntation. PLUS no dealer ever keeps the deposit..which dealer is this?? I buy alot of cars and I wont go there..thats for sure! Good luck and get your deposit back..thats BS!!
ABSOLUTELY on both points! I was under the impression that the dealer you mentioned simply did the inspection for you for $550, and this car is a PP "for sale" item that was being brokered for you, perhaps by the dealership you mentioned. I probably am incorrect here. So, was this a PP or Dealer offering this car?? If the latter I can't imagine how your $1k deposit is non-refundable, that is unless you already made a commitment to purchase in-writing, which I can't imagine being done here. More details please, and yes, when this is all over if they DON'T give your deposit back, let us know who they are, please.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 AM
well he emailed me after I wired the payment that I understand that the deposit non-refundable, unfortunately I did email him after I wired the payment saying that I understood that the deposit is non refundable so I guess I am screwed there since I acknowledged it, he NEVER mentioned anything about carfax, but I am sure he has copy of the email from me saying that I understood part, he does not have cars for sale on ebay except that one who he claims is owned by his friend, all the paperwork are legit the name is called las vegas luxury motors co license # 38762 address: 3310 sunrise ave suite #106 las vegas NV 89101

Old 11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
I am sure I can fight for it, but not sure if I'll ever get the money back after all the hassle, instead I can find a good deal elsewhere and move on.

I got this 05 dark sapphire with beige tan (non mulliner) 19' mulliner wheels 26k miles one owner clean carfax all original paint 100% throughout (her dealer tested it with paint meter prior offering to buyer her car and still wants to buy it). No story, all services up to date. What do you guys think??? I was able to negotiated down to $70k, a private seller (senior) had it for the past 5 years. Smoking deal? isn't it? Well she didn't tell me what her dealership offered her, but she said very very close compare to my offer.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 AM
about the $1k deposit, just to make me feel better< I will just consider having a few bad hands at the blackjack table tonight.... I had a feeling I was going to loose, so I didn't play....

Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
so you don't know if the 06 has an paintwork done. i'd definitely look into the $70k one. perhaps have that checked out (PPI). it sure sounds like a good deal if the service is done and brakes / tires are in good shape. LA and Vegas is only 2 hrs away. Definitely would be an easy and fun drive

Last edited by djantlive; 11-23-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 AM
birmy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by turbomx5
it would be hard to quantify the devaluation of the carfax. it depends on the perception of the buyer. At a minimum, it will limit the number of buyers willing to consider your car if you go to resell it. Even if the car is mint, the report will turn some people off...

I would also imagine the dealer has a certain obligation to give your deposit back, if the car was advertised as a clean car fax autocheck car. The old bait and switch. Another question I have is why wasnt the dealer aware of this. Did they just hope you were not going to do your homework.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by wasuki
well he emailed me after I wired the payment that I understand that the deposit non-refundable, unfortunately I did email him after I wired the payment saying that I understood that the deposit is non refundable so I guess I am screwed there since I acknowledged it, he NEVER mentioned anything about carfax, but I am sure he has copy of the email from me saying that I understood part, he does not have cars for sale on ebay except that one who he claims is owned by his friend, all the paperwork are legit the name is called las vegas luxury motors co license # 38762 address: 3310 sunrise ave suite #106 las vegas NV 89101
Well, even if you responded with an acknowledgment of the deposit terms; if, and this is IF, this dealer did not clearly state the deposit was non-refundable before you sent the $$ (I mean, obviously there was communication before you sent $$), this is a very underhanded tactic.

Pfft. yeah, take your lumps and learn, bruddah. Peace be with you.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 AM
CHAOS236 is infamous around these partsCHAOS236 is infamous around these parts
Resprays are not reported to Insurance companies,ie stone chips.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
wheretheroadend is infamous around these parts
Hi guys, about how much more should an '05 Mulliner be going for vs. a non-Mulliner? Original option was bout $8K right?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 PM
jpohl402 is infamous around these partsjpohl402 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wasuki
didn't get me the results I wanted, they didn't even check for paint work, bit disappointed, well since I booked the flight to vegas anyway I might as well have a good time with my wife. Guess it's just another curve ball I have to dodge in life.....

They said they would check with paint meter yet never did, AFTER you paid an additional $550? Number one, I would be furious about that.
Number two - Carfax and Autocheck are not always right (sometimes make errors on VINs etc) but generally speaking they are right. Also, look at the location of accident - if its a CA car claiming to always been in CA but damage reported in PA, could be an error. However if damage reported in Newport Beach (where the car is for sale) most likely truthful. As said, the damages usually don't appear out of the blue on the reports!!
Insurance companies & police departments SELL their information/reports to Autocheck/Carfax. If someone pays cash for a repair (i.e. No ins. claim) with no police report ever prepared - it will more than likely NOT show up on a history report.
Number three - OF COURSE the dealer is going to say no sign of paintwork - even if they clearly see it!! They want to sell the car they have your deposit on. Even more so if selling on consignment AND/OR from a prior/hopefully future service customer!!
Number three - deposits are typically non-refundable. However in this case I feel the deposit should be returned. You placed deposit (after asking & with assumption) of an accident free vehicle. You continued to do homework & learned that was not the case. Even though vehicle may or may not have been mis-represented (hard to prove) you were expecting, and communicated an accident free vehicle. You chose not to buy because of reduced resale later on down the road, but thats through no fault of your own. The selling dealer is responsible for their car & the condition of it. I would personally fight for the deposit.