Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Found continental gt / damage report on carfax...please advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM
wasuki is infamous around these parts
Found continental gt / damage report on carfax...please advise

hi Guys, someone of you may read about the recent mulliner edition car I put a deposit on, this morning I happened to run a car fax and found out there was a damage report on 11/25/2008 under Accident/Damage section with comments "Damage reported Damage to rear" the bentley dealership called me back and after 4 hours of inspection he said there is no damage nor any frame damage or sign of any repaint anywhere. The owner said the previous owner reported claim to have his hood repainted due to some rock chips and he may report at the time which might caused the insurance to report to carfax since it was insurance claim. The autocheck report has score of 95 points with no incident or accident damage report. Even though the dealer checked the car has no damage from the rear whatsoever, I am still concerened with the negative impact the carfax may bring when there is time to resell.

Any valuable suggestions guys? I am bit frustrated and nervous since the deposit is non refundable and not sure if I should walk away knowing the car has no damage in the rear.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
i'd believe the eyes of the honest dealer before the Carfax. Have the dealer print out a PPI for you noting anything/everything.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
You can also have them measure the paint.... Get that in writing for re-sale down the road if you have concerns now.

-Eli

Old 11-18-2010, 04:10 PM
thanks guys I also found this dark sapphire GT with NO mulliner regular 19 spoke wheels beige interior 1 owner (2 owner on carfax clean report) 05 with 25k miles no story in CA negotiated down to $72k, battling about which one to pull the trigger on.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:10 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
that doesn't sound right. rock chip in the front is showing as damage to the rear?

its good that the PPI is turning out clean. i'd use the carfax to renegotiate a better deal as if the car was hit.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:43 PM
that's what I am thinking too, hood repaint but report as rear damage on carfax. The service manager at the dealer said carfax sometimes make mistake or it could be someone hit rear bumper and paint it then insurance report to carfax. However if $74k is good deal with its options and if I ever resell it few months down the road without taking a major hit I guess I'll be alright. or maybe not?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
As you know, the Mulliner will hold a bit more value versus regular version of course.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
As you know, the Mulliner will hold a bit more value versus regular version of course.

on Monday, I will have test the trunk, side panels and any metal part from the rear with paint meter, if it shows any signs of repaint I am backing out and take my loss (deposit)

Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Loss? You dont get your deposit back? Thats BS.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by rossii
Loss? You dont get your deposit back? Thats BS.
it might be a $1k lesson well learned, however if all rear are good to go with no sign of paintwork on metal part, I guess I will take it, after all Autocheck has clean report with 94 score. Also I think there is difference between frame/damage vs accident/damage on carfax. Comment: rear damage could be as simple as spray on the rear bumper.

anyone has any idea how much this carfax's remarks could hurt its resell value if any?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Damage to rear could be a simple bumper respray/replace. No big deal there, and of course carFax could be wrong. Again, if the Bentley dealer says there seems to be no sign of problem... but whatever, your call of course.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:53 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I don't trust autocheck or carfax for that matter. However, if there is a note there, there has to be a repair done. It just doesn't come out of the blue.

Are you getting a great deal on this car? Or are you still considering it because of the $1k potential loss? There are clean cars out there. Lots of them.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:56 AM
turbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to beholdturbomx5 is a splendid one to behold
it would be hard to quantify the devaluation of the carfax. it depends on the perception of the buyer. At a minimum, it will limit the number of buyers willing to consider your car if you go to resell it. Even if the car is mint, the report will turn some people off...

Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I am really battling right now if I should take the $1k loss and move on. There is another dealership who sold similar condition same year for $83k he said despite of its conditions such remark on the carfax will net the car about $70-75k at the most if resell it. not sure if he was just trying to sell me his car or else.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
Are you getting a great deal on this car? Or are you still considering it because of the $1k potential loss? There are clean cars out there. Lots of them.

$74k is final price what do you think?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Found continental gt / damage report on carfax...please advise