Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Cleaning Honey Comb Plastic Grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:46 AM
jc_333 is infamous around these parts
I read the reason why it's chrome plates plastic as it will break apart upon impact. Just think if that grill was metal and hit anything living would make some very nice mince pie.

J

Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Yes chrome plastic is what I have read, designed to break apart on impact to?????? and then their logic lost me. If you hit some one or some thing I doubt the breaking of some plastic would help the poor impacted.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
jc_333 is infamous around these parts
I guess its designed to minimize damage to the poor soul. The metal structure behind the bumper will more than likely break anyones leg and upon being tossed up the plastic grill not dice them up?

J

Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Yes chrome plastic is what I have read, designed to break apart on impact to?????? and then their logic lost me. If you hit some one or some thing I doubt the breaking of some plastic would help the poor impacted.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Grwisher
I think my Bentleys have been metal. They have been chrome. I have developed a procedure that seems to work just fine on these chrome ones. I don't know about the black ones.

The method I use to clean the chrome grill is to use a pressure washer (low pressure at 1,800 psi) with a 25 degree tip. Then I use the soap dispenser on the pressure washer to coat them with the soap dispenser tip. Then pressure wash the soap off using a 40 degree tip. Then rinse them with the CR Spotless watering system where the rate of flow is 3.625 gallons/minute. Then I use a 4.0 hp Air Force Blaster to remove the water.

The reason I believe this works is because (1) the pressure washer will probably get off all of the larger particles, (2) the soap will emulsify most of the scum, (3) the pressure washer rinse will blast off the emulsified scum, (4) the CR Spotless water will be aggressive in dissolving any remaining small particles that reside in the pores of the grill (talked to Chuck at CR Spotless about this) and (4) the blower will get the water off before airborne contamination has a chance to combine with any remaining water droplets. It is also important to perform this procedure between .65 and .85 hours after an early morning rain because this is when the level of airborne contamination is at its lowest point and the humidity has had a chance to come down some.
Well this might be the most scientific answer given on the forum. It is also the laziest. Never seen a sot that was so afraid to use a finger.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
If you hit some one or some thing I doubt the breaking of some plastic would help the poor impacted.
With a 2.5 ton vehicle with 500+ hp (850 hp if unfortunate to be in front of Wedgeduck), 500+ ft lbs of torque and all wheel drive? Your think?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 PM
With a 2.5 ton vehicle with 500+ hp (850 hp if unfortunate to be in front of Wedgeduck), 500+ ft lbs of torque and all wheel drive? Your think?
According the opinion, postmortem, of all the bugs in the grill, plastic still hurts.
Darn I hope i get run over by you and not Wedgeduck. I bow to your superior wit.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
According the opinion, postmortem, of all the bugs in the grill, plastic still hurts.
Darn I hope i get run over by you and not Wedgeduck. I bow to your superior wit.
I think we all should insist that Wedgeduck change his grills to plastic in order to give the poor wretched creature he hits the best chance of survival. Oh wait, I forgot that Wedgeduck lives in California, he probably has to have Styrofoam grills.

Last edited by Grwisher; 07-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 PM
You are on a roll sir! Foam grills? Double funny.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Wedgeduck is infamous around these parts
I think we all should insist that Wedgeduck change his grills to plastic in order to give the poor wretched creature he hits the best chance of survival. Oh wait, I forgot that Wedgeduck lives in California, he probably has to have Styrofoam grills.
No way these hippies out here will sue the crap out of me for killing the ozone layer!

Old 07-21-2012, 02:05 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Guys to clean the grill google wheel woollies. The smallest one should work and save your pinky's.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
The grill is plastic chrome. The trick is, you need to do an initial detail on it requiring a light polishing to bring out the brilliance in the chrome. This is the most time consuming part. After this is done, apply a sealnt or nano wax to the grill to prevent future adhesion of bug guts and contaminants. The other main issue is the water used to clean the car. As Grwisher mentioned, DI water helps a lot. So, ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
The trick is, you need to do an initial detail on it requiring a light polishing to bring out the brilliance in the chrome. After this is done, apply a sealnt or nano wax to the grill to prevent future adhesion of bug guts and contaminants.
Great point. I do this on my wheels (as I do on the exterior paint). I am able to use a low power power washer connected to the CR Spotless unit and do what I call a refresh. This is when the car is still fairly clean and I do not want to do a complete wash. The refresh consists of power washing the wheels, the lower portion between the wheels and the lower part of the back. This takes about 5 minutes. The results for the amount of effort is pretty amazing. It also helps to be 68 and your eye sight is not all that great.

Question: What products do you use on the grill? Will the Autoglym polish and wax do a good job?

Last edited by Grwisher; 03-02-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Great point. I do this on my wheels (as I do on the exterior paint). I am able to use a low power power washer connected to the CR Spotless unit and do what I call a refresh. This is when the car is still fairly clean and I do not want to do a complete wash. The refresh consists of power washing the wheels, the lower portion between the wheels and the lower part of the back. This takes about 5 minutes. The results for the amount of effort is pretty amazing. It also helps to be 68 and your eye site is not all that great.

Question: What products do you use on the grill? Will the Autoglym polish and wax do a good job?
I use Menzerna Power Finish then followed by Rejex or a nano wax

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...-Finish/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...xes/Categories

I'm not sure which Autoglym product you have, but any light polish and wax would be fine and aid in spending hours cleaning the honeycomb grill.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I'm not cleaning mine any longer. Apparently the rich don't feel the compulsion to show off a polished car, and so a dirty car becomes a reverse status symbol.

Now all I have to figure out is how to become rich

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lthy-rich.html