Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Continental GT Speed or GTC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
smilecreator is infamous around these parts
Continental GT Speed or GTC?

Hope you can help. I'm looking for used Continental GT around £60,000 and I could get an older GT speed or newer standard GT (2008). Is the Speed worth getting over the standard model and is it likely to keep its value better after 2 years?

Originally thinking about a GTC but concerned I don't have a garage and what the convertible would be like left outside. Any guys with leaks?

Thanks very much,

James
London, UK
Having to sell my 997 C2S Cabriolet as the kids need more space!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Not sure how much I can help with a direct recommendation but am willing to think it though with you.

I have not done a direct comparative analysis between the two cars but that would be a good place to start. I do understand the Speed makes more power, is that the only difference? How important is that extra horsepower?

What is the major concern over value after two years? Are you trading or selling at that time? Older Speed is not worth more than a newer GT, as reflected by the similar purchase price.

Have you actually seen two individual cars? Many times the complete package of the car involving the colors and options is what gets under you skin and makes you want that specific car.

A dialogue would help me understand you and consequently clear your mind for choices.

Mel.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 05-10-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks Mel. It is more that the speed is apparently a better car to drive, more responsive and fun.I'm used to my responsive 911 and I know the Bentley is much bigger and heavier. Only driven the standard GT.
Also I never keep my cars longer than 2 years and would like to minimise my depreciation. There are less Speeds around so thought they may hold their value better than standard GT?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Makes more sense now. What is the real weight difference between the two? My car is quite fun to drive but the reality is that most of the time I am not racing or thrill driving on the public streets.

I drove a 911 when car buying and thought the ride was very sporty/responsive. The 07 GTC that I bought rode completely different than the Porsche. I would expect even the Speed will not track with the 911 IMHO. Much more luxury in the Bentley but not a slow ole lady car either.

Will this be a daily driver? With out a garage I'd want to cover any car but that can be a pain in the butt to do every day. My GTC does not leak, period but the soft top could weather over time. Paint it's self will be affected by sun and rain so outside is outside.

The Convertible looks great with the top down and open air driving is another experience. The GT coupe has a nicer profile with that great roof line. Choose your weapon mate.

ps are a dentist by chance, with a name like Smilecreator?

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 05-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by smilecreator
...Originally thinking about a GTC but concerned I don't have a garage and what the convertible would be like left outside. Any guys with leaks?
Hey James, I think leaks would be the least of your problems - a soft top outside ready to be vandalised by anyone passing holding a box cutter would be my personal nightmare. Maybe it's the paranoid in me, but I wouldn't leave any luxury car on the street. There's an old photo going round of an Aston Martin in London minus wheels...

Are you any closer to a decision yet? I often wonder what the attraction is for the Speed. There's nothing major outside that tells anyone it's a faster car, and the 0-60 time advantage over the standard GT is slight. What's your thoughts on a Speed apart from potential depreciation? Both Bentleys are going to be a totally different driving and riding experience from your Porsche anyhow.

Last edited by kensilver; 05-10-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks Ken I've had my 997s cabrio in the street for 2 years and no problems. Not sure if the Bentley would more likely to be vandalised?
Visually apart from the nicer wheels it was more about the sportier drive and hopefully better resale. The GT have dropped over £70k in 5 years, hoping the curve is flattening for 07 cars now.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by smilecreator
Thanks Ken I've had my 997s cabrio in the street for 2 years and no problems. Not sure if the Bentley would more likely to be vandalised?
Visually apart from the nicer wheels it was more about the sportier drive and hopefully better resale. The GT have dropped over £70k in 5 years, hoping the curve is flattening for 07 cars now.
Sadly I think the days of light depreciation are over for every car. Up until even 10 years ago I could even make money on most of the luxury cars I sold - Mercedes SL's were good for that.

But today is different. I dropped a bomb on selling my Vanquish - a car anyone would expect to be a classic in a few year's time. Prices are slowly rising in UK for this model, but you go crazy over Astons anyway.

No luxury car in our medium price range is immune. They are now all just expensive playthings

Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Is the GT going to be large enough for the kids in the back? I would hate to have four people in my car. I have the drivers seat back quite a bit and there really is no leg room there. Would have to be a car seat only behind me. When my 17y/o daughter is in the seat behind the wife neither one of them has any "extra" room. The Flying Spur is the car to have if you really need four seats. Unless you are really old and then the Mulsane is for you.

Truthfully I love the Mulsane.

Smilecreator are you a dentist?

Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I have a GT Speed...in sport mode and sport suspension...it's like driving a real sports car...a super heavy one...but it's great.

Personally, I went through the same dilemma and bought a speed version. I drive it year round with snow tires in the winter...can't beat it!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raclaims
I drive it year round with snow tires in the winter...can't beat it!

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
...Smilecreator are you a dentist?
He might be a comedian, like some of us here

Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by kensilver
He might be a comedian, like some of us here
Hope he is better at it than I am and makes more money at it.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
Absolutely

Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Wedgeduck is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kensilver
Hey James, I think leaks would be the least of your problems - a soft top outside ready to be vandalised by anyone passing holding a box cutter would be my personal nightmare. Maybe it's the paranoid in me, but I wouldn't leave any luxury car on the street. There's an old photo going round of an Aston Martin in London minus wheels...

Are you any closer to a decision yet? I often wonder what the attraction is for the Speed. There's nothing major outside that tells anyone it's a faster car, and the 0-60 time advantage over the standard GT is slight. What's your thoughts on a Speed apart from potential depreciation? Both Bentleys are going to be a totally different driving and riding experience from your Porsche anyhow.
You are not paranoid Ken. My GT got vandalazized twice. Someone once keyed my hood. Another time looks like someone used a blunt object to jab it so I had I ding. Anyhow, some people love the ride, others I can see the hate in their eyes. Gotta keep these cars away from those pesky 99 percenters.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
You are not paranoid Ken. My GT got vandalazized twice. Someone once keyed my hood. Another time looks like someone used a blunt object to jab it so I had I ding. Anyhow, some people love the ride, others I can see the hate in their eyes. Gotta keep these cars away from those pesky 99 percenters.
It must be natural for the lazy and worthless to hate the industrious and successful.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Continental GT Speed or GTC?