Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

The Case for Membership in the Rolls Royce Owners Club

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
The Case for Membership in the Rolls Royce Owners Club

First, the Conclusion:
I don’t know when I have had a better time in recent memory.

Second, the Reason:
It all started when I found out that the next national meeting of the Rolls Royce Owners Club (hereafter called RROC) was going to be in San Antonio which is fairly close to where I live. This would give me a good reason take my Bentley CGTC on a road trip and see some beautiful automobiles. However, I had concerns and I decided first to go to a seminar which was hosted by the Texas Region. The seminar was held in Austin this past weekend. I felt it would give me a sense of what to expect of the RROC in general and the national event in particular. The seminar was a 2 day event where the main objective was to examine the mechanical condition of the automobiles submitted by the attendees.

Third, the Concerns:

1. How welcome would a Bentley owner feel?
After all, it is called the Rolls Royce Owners Club. The bottom line is that Bentley owners are very welcome. In fact, the majority of the automobiles were Bentleys (by a slight amount - of the 19 automobiles, 10 were Bentleys). Many attendees owned a mixture of Rolls and Bentleys.

2. Are the members a bunch of stuffed shirts?
Nothing could have been further from the truth. They were young and old, came from towns large and small and from all walks of life. I found myself seeking conversation with new people, instead of hanging around with a select group, because of how interesting the attendees were. I imagine the 1% was well represented at the event but no one there was conspicuous about it. You could determine some who qualified by asking a simple question like “How many cars do you own?”. When they said 20 or more you knew, but I doubt you would ever find out unless you asked.

3. How would newer automobiles be received?
The reason I was concerned is that the “Modern Car” section of the RROC forum is titled “Modern Cars - Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars built after 1980”. It was hard for me to imagine that a 30 year old car was modern. In any event, I can report that newer cars are well received. As an example, several individuals thanked me for bringing my Bentley to the event. They seemed to enjoy the ones built after the turn of the century as well as the vintage ones.

4. Would I find examining vintage (by that I mean old) cars interesting?
I suspected I would like it, but it turned out that I loved it. It was very interesting to see how far the automobile has come over the years. The cars were hoisted up high enough to see what problems might be lurking there. It was most entertaining to watch an owner’s face when the mechanic would explain things like the brake rods on his car were installed incorrectly. The skill level of the mechanics was very high and their knowledge of the most intricate problems was amazing. We were able to ask questions about our cars and it was funny how one question led to another. That, by itself, was worth the time and cost.

5. Was the value received worth the time and cost?
This was one of the most cost effective events that I have ever attended. The cost of the seminar was $30. This included 2 breakfasts, a lunch, 2 dinners, an examination of your automobile by a skilled mechanic and secure parking which was manned by an off duty police officer at night. The cost of the Hotel (Homewood Suites) was $115 per night and the rooms were very nice and spacious. You would be hard pressed to find a more likable person than Phillip Reese, who headed up the event. He was tireless in his stewardship and a very high level of organization was the result.

I don’t know for sure if the national event will be a good as Texas Region’s, but it did convince me that it will be worthwhile to give it a try. I suspect that I am not the only one who would enjoy this organization and therefore I recommend that others in the forum consider membership. In addition, the national event could facilitate our getting together as some of us have suggested doing so from time to time.

Reference:
Rolls Royce Owners Club web site: http://www.rroc.org/

Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Wedgeduck is infamous around these parts
This sounds really fun Grwisher. I think they have the same programs here in So Cal. I just don't have anytime at the moment to venture out and enjoy the car aficionados. They are really a lively bunch. We have Cars and Coffee and a lot of unique and exotic cars show up.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
You would expect RR owners to be meticulous by nature, and so I'm not surprised the event went well. Were there any CGTs there? Or are they considered too flash!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kensilver
Were there any CGTs there? Or are they considered too flash!
No, but they did not consider the Continentals that were there too flash. There were 2 Continentals out of 19 total cars. There was an 2007 Flying Spur and my 2013 CGTC, but again they were just as interested in the new ones as the vintage ones. In fact, one of the attendees who had won 5 national show titles said that I had made his day because he followed my car to the garage and admired it. He then ask me if he could sit in the CGTC. A person with 5 national titles!!!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Grwisher
No, but they did not consider the Continentals that were there too flash. There were 2 Continentals out of 19 total cars. There was an 2007 Flying Spur and my 2013 CGTC, but again they were just as interested in the new ones as the vintage ones. In fact, one of the attendees who had won 5 national show titles said that I had made his day because he followed my car to the garage and admired it. He then ask me if he could sit in the CGTC. A person with 5 national titles!!!!!
I want to sit in it one day Grwisher! How about a GT that is all flash and all go? Would you think they would be offended?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
I want to sit in it one day Grwisher! How about a GT that is all flash and all go? Would you think they would be offended?
I think they would find you to be most fascinating Wedgeduck.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Grwisher
I think they would find you to be most fascinating Wedgeduck.
I recall Spock using that phrase "most fascinating"(raised single eyebrow). It was not always a sign of admiration.

Anyone have on jeans and cowboy boots? I need to look and see if that trip is doable.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 10-23-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I recall Spock using that phrase "most fascinating" It was not always a sign of admiration.
And they would have found you to be "incredibly fascinating" Dr. Disaster.

Anyone have on jeans and cowboy boots?
Actually I think, one attendee, from west Texas wore boots. He bought his Rolls Royce (195?) from a furniture auction place (the owner of the auction had the Rolls because of a death in someone's family). He was the only bidder and paid $15,000 for it. Another attendee, a very knowledgeable one, said he could get $65,000 for it in a heartbeat.
Everyone was casually dressed, so there probably were blue jeans. I know that none of the women wore jeans, but I don't know if any of the men wore jeans.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I will choose to take your post well.

I just mapped the trip and it will be 1200 miles each way. Sort of big for sure and right in the middle of turkey season. Sure would like to meet up with you and a few others from this site.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM
I wanted to rock those boots that the Doc was talking about. The red white and blue ones. those would be need just stepping out of a Bentley.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
I will choose to take your post well.

I just mapped the trip and it will be 1200 miles each way. Sort of big for sure and right in the middle of turkey season. Sure would like to meet up with you and a few others from this site.
I think the National meet would provide a wonderful time for a group meeting. As much as we all talk about a group meeting the chances of all of us deciding on a mutually agreeable place and time in the future is probably remote.

But more important the Rolls Royce Owner's Club (RROC) is a real trip in of itself. Saturday night my wife and I attended a party hosted by a couple of members. This second encounter has convinced me that RROC will be more than worthwhile. I think you Dr. Disaster and the others would find that the members of RROC are very much like we are on this forum. It is a great group of Bentley and Rolls enthusiasts.

Bentley Continentals are more than welcome. At the party, I met the president of RROC. He owns a Bentley Continental Flying Spur and it is his daily driver. When I met him I did not know he was the president. He, his wife and I went over our respective cars at some length. He liked my front license plate installation and I told him that I would send him information it at which time he gave me his card. We happened to sit at the same table with another Continental owner and had a grand time. We had barbecue prepared by the Texas Grand Champion barbecue team and margaritas. The next day I started putting together some information regarding my license plate project and only when I looked at his card did I realize he was the president. This is not a snooty, clannish crowd.

Again, I encourage the gang to at least consider a membership in RROC and the region that you are in. RROc is inexpensive - $100 for the 1st year and $70 per year thereafter and the regional membership is inexpensive as well. They have a breakfast every month in various Texas cities and seem to have a variety of activities. You and the others may not have time for all of the activities but this group is so good and the expense is so small it should at least be considered even if you only did a couple of things a year with them.

In any event I will be in San Antonio at the national meet next year with bells on.

Last edited by Grwisher; 10-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 AM
RROC Houston Breakfast Meeting

Picture taken last Saturday at Skeeter's Grill. The blue CGTC (toward the middle) is mine.The handsome dude, in the dark blue shirt and cap, to the left of it is Grwisher and the beautiful and talented wife is Debbie is just below the handsome dude. The national president of RROC (Rolls Royce Owners Club) is 2nd from the right (seated). They are an interesting bunch and they love their cars.

Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Looks like you are having alot fun there. I love the thread about the grand champion of barbecuing. Kinda made my mouth watered.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Better Late Than Never

Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
Looks like you are having alot fun there. I love the thread about the grand champion of barbecuing. Kinda made my mouth watered.
My only regret is that I should have joined sooner.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Which one is you in the picture?

I mentioned the club to my wife and she did not seem to enthused. Oh well she is my opposite so I could have guessed that. I'd love to take a big road trip and meet you and any others that would come from the forum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Case for Membership in the Rolls Royce Owners Club