Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Is it possible to 4wheel drive launch in 08 Flying Spur, or any Bently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Douyon is infamous around these parts
Is it possible to 4wheel drive launch in 08 Flying Spur, or any Bently

I read this and was wondering if my 08 FS could do this without breaking anything.

"Slide the gear selector into Sport mode, then put your left Ferragamo on the brake pedal and the right Ferragamo on the throttle flat to the floor. Hold onto your Brent Black fedora when you release the brake, because it throws you back like a turbocharged catapult."

Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Sure... in the snow or iced roads

Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Wedgeduck is infamous around these parts
Make sure to have both hands on to your steering wheel with both hands because some launches veer right or left. The cause of it is torque steer. Turn off the DSC. and try to do this somewhere safe.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 AM
jc_333 is infamous around these parts
We want videos!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Douyon is infamous around these parts
lol.. going to check with the dealer first to make sure the car was designed to do this..
I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I can not imagine that this is really good for any car. I would like to hear what the dealer's official response is however. I would believe that they would be very conservative to reduce liability.

Where is the stress concentrated? transmission? brake? motor?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, could be the linkage, maybe something in the tranny would break first. Spaghetting a gearbox is not a good thing.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
There was a thread on here a year ago and a guy from Colorado drag raced his FS. Thread is fastest Flying Spur in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 12-03-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
There was a thread on here a year ago and a guy from Colorado drag raced his FS. Thread is fastest Flying Spur in the 1/4 mile.
Did he use this launch method?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Did he use this launch method?
I have launched before on my Bentley. I was scared that I might ruin my tranny. So I stop doing it. Then again, this is the only way that you will take off fast. It's on that jump. So give or take, it works, but I don't know the effects of it on your tranny or motor.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 PM
jc_333 is infamous around these parts
Its not a GTR for sure so I wouldnt risk damaging your car unless you plan to sell it. haha

My bet would be a chewed gears and possible damage to bearings on AWD axle.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 AM
i have a 'chewed' gear right here from the F2000's LD200 tranny. It broke mid-race and cost me a win as was well in the lead at the time. When it got chewed, the sound was reminiscent of ball bearing in a blender. Not a good sound i assure you! Was a relatively easy fix in the LD200, but in a B it would be $$$$$.

Then again recall the time the engine began 'tapping' behind my ears during a race. Yup, the top end's top/end block cracked thus the 'tapping' sound

Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
i have a 'chewed' gear right here from the F2000's LD200 tranny. It broke mid-race and cost me a win as was well in the lead at the time. When it got chewed, the sound was reminiscent of ball bearing in a blender. Not a good sound i assure you! Was a relatively easy fix in the LD200, but in a B it would be $$$$$.

Then again recall the time the engine began 'tapping' behind my ears during a race. Yup, the top end's top/end block cracked thus the 'tapping' sound
All this in the middle of a race, talking about keeping it calm under pressure. At least til you pull into the pit. This is one of the reason why I want to buy a salvaged 2010 to 2011 Bentley Gt. Need to keep a spare tranny and motor around.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Wedgeduck, the good news is that the LD200 didn't just lock up as was going through a tight left/uphill upshift at the time with TONS of tarmac camber/grip (the back bowl T5/6 at MHMS). As for the top end, well, you hear something different, and then soon the slight tapping and you KNOW... game over. Do not pass go. Do not collect checkered flag.

The gear problem was actually a wrong spec gear in the box. Top-end cam holder cracking was a KNOWN issue of the Kent 2.0L engine design.

That's racing.

Remember during a HPDE day the Ferrari refusing to go into 3rd at the end of front straight of LRP. Long story short, top bar engine mount was not stiff enough, so hard braking means engine moves forward, which means shifter now out of alignment. Anywho, so out of frustration due to no 3rd gear threw my hand forward (she goes into 2nd) and stupidly released the clutch. Yup, high revs and she quickly spun about 230 degrees around and into the extra runoff area. Ahh yes, those were the days.

Come to think of it, you guys probably think i break cars and trash engine/trannys. Well, after MANY events and years, things do happen. i swear they are NEVER EVER my fault, it is ALWAYS the equipment. ALWAYS!!!!!! <driver's excuse #1, blame the equipment LOL>

Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Wedgeduck, the good news is that the LD200 didn't just lock up as was going through a tight left/uphill upshift at the time with TONS of tarmac camber/grip (the back bowl T5/6 at MHMS). As for the top end, well, you hear something different, and then soon the slight tapping and you KNOW... game over. Do not pass go. Do not collect checkered flag.

The gear problem was actually a wrong spec gear in the box. Top-end cam holder cracking was a KNOWN issue of the Kent 2.0L engine design.

That's racing.

Remember during a HPDE day the Ferrari refusing to go into 3rd at the end of front straight of LRP. Long story short, top bar engine mount was not stiff enough, so hard braking means engine moves forward, which means shifter now out of alignment. Anywho, so out of frustration due to no 3rd gear threw my hand forward (she goes into 2nd) and stupidly released the clutch. Yup, high revs and she quickly spun about 230 degrees around and into the extra runoff area. Ahh yes, those were the days.

Come to think of it, you guys probably think i break cars and trash engine/trannys. Well, after MANY events and years, things do happen. i swear they are NEVER EVER my fault, it is ALWAYS the equipment. ALWAYS!!!!!! <driver's excuse #1, blame the equipment LOL>
Steven, you make me want to go get a GTR or Porsche 997 gt2rs, and just strip everything down and get into tracking. Sponsored it would be great. But just to spin around with the fellas, that would be fun too. I don't need the glory anymore, only self satisfaction. Miss B can do it, but all the finer luxury will be stripped. We will see what the GT3 can do on the track, enough wins and hype, and we are all stripping our Bentley's down for the track. The GT3 is here at the LA Auto Show. I gotta make some time and get down there to take pics.

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 12-04-2012 at 10:06 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to 4wheel drive launch in 08 Flying Spur, or any Bently