Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Quarter glass side molding , need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 AM
REDNOSEGT is infamous around these parts
Quarter glass side molding , need some help

Driver side molding is ripped a bit at the bottom
I called a dealer they said I had to buy a whole new peice of glass because it's all one peice now, this is bs,

Anybody can chime in or had this problem?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm... it could be the technique/glues/etc they use really makes it a permanent thing. There may be a 'solvent' or sheer heat that could work to remove the broken part, but not sure how to do specifically nor how to get JUST the part you want. It could also be the work/time it takes to change just that part is less economical than replacing the entire assembly.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 AM
jc_333 is infamous around these parts
I agree with enjoythemusic, looks like the strip is pretty much stuck on the glass. you can find some high quality tape to repair tear or just leave it until it gets worse.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:12 AM
the molding is sold seperate , there is just a bit of urethane holding it on to the window at the top.

i got it from a dealer. around 100 for the molding.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Great news and 100 seems reasonable.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 PM
New molding seemed more thicker and much less wind noise

Easy install took me 10 mins

Old 12-16-2012, 03:54 AM
Interesting, my driver's side every now and then gets wind noise. Always wondered if removing that part, then bending metal slightly and reinstalling would work.

Can you describe what you did to remove the part and what adhesive was used to reinstall. Thanks!

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 12-16-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:36 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Interesting, my driver's side every now and then gets wind noise...
Had wind noise on my 2006 from the driver's mirror. Painters removed it then couldn't fit it back properly, even on two tries. Problem was caused by the seal to the body even though the gap was really hard to spot.

Just another avenue to look for noise.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM
it sits in a groove in the window. there is no metal you can bend.

the top peice is glued onto the window with some rtv black silicone. once you peel it off clean it up with a razor blade because some glue will be on the glass, then just apply some rtv into the new gasket at the top only where it glues to the glass, after you get it on snug just apply some tape to hold it in place overnight. some rtv silicone squeezed out i left it and cut it off with a blade in the morning.

easy install. if you dont feel comfortable im sure a glass should could do it for you it was really easy. the new gasket was much thicker.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Thanks and sounds easy. Already have plenty of RTV here too

Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM
jc_333 is infamous around these parts
Could you take a photo of the new trim vs old side to show difference in thickness?

Might be a good update mod to make to decrease wind noise.

Thanks

Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM
the thickness is about the same, i just double checked. its just seems thicker because it has not formed from the glass. the old one seems to be like formed to the glass shape and has no resistance to make a good seal, hope you understand what i mean.