Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

The right combination or “I can’t get no satisfaction”

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
The right combination or “I can’t get no satisfaction”

Two events triggered this thread.
(1) Recently, one of our most distinguished forum members vehemently cast aspersions on the idea of owning a Mercedes SL 500 (KenSilver’s) as well as a Bentley Continental. He said, and I quote: “It's like having and extra ugly girlfriend and doing her so you don't get tired of the hot one.” Since I also own a SL500, I felt his attack was leveled at me as well.
(2) Today KenSilver, normally of good cheer, agonized profusely about his dissatisfaction with his present car collection by stating: “I'm very happy with my Mulliner CGT, but I really want the Bentley Continental GT3 (when it comes out) a lot. I'm happy with my SL500, but I really want the Mercedes SL65 Black Series. I also want a McLaren SLR and a Veyron.”

These comments bewildered me in that, although I thoroughly enjoy my 2013 CGTC there are times that the 2004 SL scratches a different itch and I enjoy it as well. I have a 3rd vehicle, a 2001 Mercedes ML430 which does the heavy lifting when necessary. This combination was painstakingly collected over the years and although I am somewhat of a malcontent, I like to spend money and I am always wanting to improve my lot, I am about as happy as I can be at this time. My question is: “Am I the only one that has multiple rides that he/she enjoys and is relatively happy with them?” If so, what are those vehicles?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
The grass is always greener....

Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I meant no attack at all sorry for giving that impression.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Grwisher
“Am I the only one that has multiple rides that he/she enjoys and is relatively happy with them?”
ABSOLUTELY NOT. We have a variety of cars and we love them all for different reasons. We have had 4 SLs over the years and they are wonderful cars. The other car we considered while looking at the Bentley was the SLS. That being said, I'm always on the look out for something different. That itch just won't go away.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
I split my time between Miami and Sanibel so I have an "island car" in Sanibel, a '61 Triumph TR3 and in Miami I have a '63 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ7. We also have a 2012 Audi Q5 crossover SUV and an '06 Jag XKR convertible so there's never a shortage of cars to drive besides the 2013 CGTC. That being said, I am always lusting after other cars. This doesn't mean I'm unhappy with my cars, just that I can never be satisfied and will always want an exotic in the stable.

Gone but not forgotten:

Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
I split my time between Miami and Sanibel so I have an "island car" in Sanibel, a '61 Triumph TR3 and in Miami I have a '63 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ7. We also have a 2012 Audi Q5 crossover SUV and an '06 Jag XKR convertible so there's never a shortage of cars to drive besides the 2013 CGTC. That being said, I am always lusting after other cars. This doesn't mean I'm unhappy with my cars, just that I can never be satisfied and will always want an exotic in the stable.

Gone but not forgotten:
Beautiful collection. All of them classic beauties!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
...(2) Today KenSilver, normally of good cheer,...
And still of good cheer GR. It's just hard to smile with my tongue in cheek

Old 01-08-2013, 12:52 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I split my time between Miami and Sanibel so I have an "island car" in Sanibel, a '61 Triumph TR3 and in Miami I have a '63 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ7. We also have a 2012 Audi Q5 crossover SUV and an '06 Jag XKR convertible so there's never a shortage of cars to drive besides the 2013 CGTC....
Appreciate the extra photos. That's a lovely stable you have there!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
...The other car we considered while looking at the Bentley was the SLS...
If all goes to plan I shall have the use of a SLS Roadster for a few weeks in February. While I'm not a fan of the SLS in the looks dept, it's certainly a very fast automobile!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Sanibel, lovely collection!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Wedgeduck is infamous around these parts
Beautiful collection Sanibel.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I meant no attack at all sorry for giving that impression.
I should have added a instead of a . I was just kidding.

BTW Dr., you didn't have to reveal who posted quote number 1. I would have never revealed your true identity.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Since you qualified the statement like this"one of our most distinguished forum members" I am sure no one would have known it was me.

I don't want to get overly philosophical but you are leading us there so here we go.

I believe a small amount of dissatisfaction is needed for personal growth and development and helps motivate us to set and reach goals. Complete satisfaction with ones life results in lazy apathy. On the other hand a pathological insatiability leads to despondency and just never being happy or fulfilled. The well man has all things in balance always filled with gratitude for what he has been allowed to have and yet allows room for journey of life and personal growth.

How's that for some overly high minded drivel?

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 01-08-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
My question is: “Am I the only one that has multiple rides that he/she enjoys and is relatively happy with them?” If so, what are those vehicles?
Am I the only one on this forum who answers GR's question? Thanks for the nice comments but don't leave me hanging here: let's see what you guys ride when you're not in your Bentley.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Am I the only one on this forum who answers GR's question? Thanks for the nice comments but don't leave me hanging here: let's see what you guys ride when you're not in your Bentley.
GR and I have an ongoing banter so I don't always jump at his questions till I'm ready to. Can't make it to easy for him.

I drive a F250 Super Duty for commuting and recreation and the wife's Audi A7 when not enjoying the GTC. I am not fortunate enough to have multiple cars and spend on my other interests.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The right combination or “I can’t get no satisfaction”