Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Speed vs Supersports

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Speed vs Supersports

Need some advice from you folks. I am trying to decide between a 2010 Speed and a 2011 Supersports. The car is going to be a daily driver and the roads where I live are far from perfect. I also like cars with sporty handling and firm (but not harsh) ride. Finally, I am planning to go to a few track days.

I read many pages of information about the differences between the two, but still cannot decide. I test drove the 2010 Speed car last week and it was nice. I put suspension on the firmest setting to minimize body roll and it handled OK. Obviously not as good as my 911, but still better than I expected.

The money is not an issue since the price difference between two cars is now down to $16K.

However, many other things remain open, such as:

On one hand, I resolved the seating issue by finding a few Supersports cars with a "Comfort Seating" option, so that's all good. On the other hand, the car loses the 100 Lbs weight difference by adding those standard seats back, so the overall weight difference between a Speed and a Supersports shrinks to 143Lbs, which is negligible.

On one hand, I could always use the extra HP and TQ of the Supersports, but on the other hand the increase from the Speed is only 3.5% HP and 6.7% TQ, which is negligible. The weight from standard seats being added is going to minimize the difference further.

On one hand, I appreciate the added performance from carbon ceramic breaks, but on the other hand I suspect I will be paying 3-4 times more than the price of a conventional break job.

One of my biggest concerns is the suspension. I don't actually know if it has the same range of firmness adjustment as the Speed, but the last thing I need is to be beat up on the way home after a brutal 10-hour day in the office.

I know most of these things can be easily clarified by doing a test drive, but the nearest Supersports with a Comfort Seat option is about 50 miles away from me and getting out there is a pain, because the weather has to be great, it has to be on the weekend, etc.

Can someone who drove both cars back to back please comment? I would also love to hear from Supersports owners who drive their cars on a daily basis.

Thanks

Eugene

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
From driving both the SuperSport and the Speed..The SuperSport is great once you sit in the car and rip the crap out of it. But on a long road test it can get a little annoying..the seats are manual adjust, no electrics, the ride is stiffer, the carbon interior sections I've noticed to make cracking noises when cold, a normal property..nonetheless minor things besides the rear seat deletes. But if you don't mind to sacrifice ride quality for handling..then SuperSport is great.

I'm 29yrs old and for a D.D vehicle, I would get sick of the SuperSport real fast..the Speed is more of a D.D vehicle that I could use year round, no matter what the weather, no matter what my mood..Hehe and if your looking for something to take a nice ride in after a 10hr shift..Speed is great.

If I wanted a weekender..of something to just rip around in every other day..and already have a D.D vehicle..between the SuperSport and the Speed..SuperSport would be my choice hands down!

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by irish07
From driving both the SuperSport and the Speed..The SuperSport is great once you sit in the car and rip the crap out of it. But on a long road test it can get a little annoying..the seats are manual adjust, no electrics, the ride is stiffer, the carbon interior sections I've noticed to make cracking noises when cold, a normal property..nonetheless minor things besides the rear seat deletes. But if you don't mind to sacrifice ride quality for handling..then SuperSport is great.

I'm 29yrs old and for a D.D vehicle, I would get sick of the SuperSport real fast..the Speed is more of a D.D vehicle that I could use year round, no matter what the weather, no matter what my mood..Hehe and if your looking for something to take a nice ride in after a 10hr shift..Speed is great.

If I wanted a weekender..of something to just rip around in every other day..and already have a D.D vehicle..between the SuperSport and the Speed..SuperSport would be my choice hands down!
I definitely agree about the seats, which is why I found a few cars with a "Comfort Seating" option. This option basically puts the seats (both front and rear) from the Speed into the Supersports, so you get the full adjustment, massage, etc, etc. I think I can live with carbon fiber creaking at cold temps, though I can see how annoying this can be. So the real question now is the suspension on a Supersports - is the ride still jarring when it's set to it's softest setting.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM
ek1
Originally Posted by irish07

I definitely agree about the seats, which is why I found a few cars with a "Comfort Seating" option. This option basically puts the seats (both front and rear) from the Speed into the Supersports, so you get the full adjustment, massage, etc, etc. I think I can live with carbon fiber creaking at cold temps, though I can see how annoying this can be. So the real question now is the suspension on a Supersports - is the ride still jarring when it's set to it's softest setting.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The SuperSport is a little firmer in the softest setting, bascially feels like this through any of the ride quality settings when compared to any of the other CGT models..but its still soft when compared to some other exotics for this class..don't know if you have ever drive a DBS in track mode, that thing would be the definition of stiff jaw shattering ride..SuperSport is still a air-ride spring setup so even on a firm setup with the right dampers its going to be smooth

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I have not driven the new Speed but if allowed i would give my input.

The SS has no back seat and as you said you might change out the seats and I understand fully. Why buy a luxury GT and have hard anything? Do you really need super stiff suspension? You might enjoy the soft on the road more often than you need the stiff on the track??

Now to the power I would simple say buy the Speed and tune it to eat a SS.

I am not a fan of changing out the fine woods of the Bentley for the carbon fiber for weight savings as to much of the Bentley soul is sacrificed for performance. If you like the look the let your eye be the judge but for me the beauty of the Bentley is a paramount virtue.

Good hunting mate and since I stated at the onset you may disregard my writing entirely.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Wedgeduck is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I have not driven the new Speed but if allowed i would give my input.

The SS has no back seat and as you said you might change out the seats and I understand fully. Why buy a luxury GT and have hard anything? Do you really need super stiff suspension? You might enjoy the soft on the road more often than you need the stiff on the track??

Now to the power I would simple say buy the Speed and tune it to eat a SS.

I am not a fan of changing out the fine woods of the Bentley for the carbon fiber for weight savings as to much of the Bentley soul is sacrificed for performance. If you like the look the let your eye be the judge but for me the beauty of the Bentley is a paramount virtue.

Good hunting mate and since I stated at the onset you may disregard my writing entirely.
Yep Doc. Gotta let them know. Get a regular old GT and tune it with an upgraded ECU and exhaust system. Will cost you less than buying an SS or Speed and probably a few more ponies because of factory conservative tuning and exhaust. But go ***** out, everybody panel you can have in carbon fiber and carbon fiber race seats and I am pretty sure you can smoke a stock SS.