Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

To do or not to do: LEATHERIQUE the leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
My holster needs something. I pulled my concealed the other day, I got a buddy that won't let me on his property with out a gun, and the holster pulled with the gun. It's new and needs some working in.

Now all I need is some "spare time"(nothing else i could possibly do) and I'll oil all my chit.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
sonicd0012 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Dr. D, the system seems normal to me though have been using it for many, many years. Dry leather needs 'natural' oils.... said oils appease the Leather Gods and they thus reward you with supple and durable material. This oil ALSO helps to 'force out' contaminants.

The cleaner just helps to remove excess oil whilst also removing dirt/etc that was stuck in the leather material and now drawn out.

The oil only needs to be used once a year, whereas the cleaner maybe 3 times a year or so depending on how dirty things get. The result from their system is excellent!!!

BTW while at the dealership a few weeks back did a comparo to my old 06 GT seats versus others in the showroom. Came away knowing Leatherique kicks **** You really should use it.

PS: It is also EXCELLENT on leather jackets, Hartman / LV luggage, etc. Leatherique says their stuff is also good for plastic such as weather stripping, yet prefer 303 Protectant for that. Plan to use 303's Fabric Guard and Top Cleaner on the GTC's fabric top once the outside temps come up in a few weeks. www.autogeek.net/303-fabric-combo.html
Question. Is it a good idea to apply Leatherique to roof liner? Maybe the oils will soak in the leather and affect the gluing underneath it.

Have you done all the areas of the car such as the front dash and behind the rear seats? Will the oils affect the gluing underneath any of those areas"?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Sonic, great question! On 2005 and 2004 I'd avoid the leather inner roof, it is an already known to have glue failing problems it seems. On the 2006 GT i did the roof liner leather without any ill affects so Bentley must have changed things for 2006 on up.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
sonicd0012 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Sonic, great question! On 2005 and 2004 I'd avoid the leather inner roof, it is an already known to have glue failing problems it seems. On the 2006 GT i did the roof liner leather without any ill affects so Bentley must have changed things for 2006 on up.
Right, unfortunaly, this repair on my sagging headliner will cost 1.5K from Bentley. I could take the thing off and take it to a shop to save money but im afraid of messing up.

How will this affect other areas of the car besides the roof. What if the same issue will exist on doors/ dash etc.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Have not heard of any other problems. Worked great on all leather in the 06 GT and 07 GTC.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:27 AM
67427 is infamous around these parts
Update

Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I understand the system but others clean first then apply a conditioner. The Leatherique conditions first then cleans excess. No worries I and going to use it but i am wanting the weather to warm a bit so the oil can penetrate better.

Roger that about the other leather applications. I have a set of FXRG pants and jacket that I will be treating also.
Late to the discussion. Dr. Did you finally use the product the way it is described in the posting, conditioner first, cleaner second? I am with you, not having used the product (but I will), it seems backward, and I wanted to see what was your experience. I have a bad problem with the leather of the driver's seat, I clean and condition it, and days later the leather feels sticky, it picks up lint from the pants or other clothing (eg., shirt) and the leather of the pant's belt sticks to it when I am sitting. Never had that experience before, so I am looking for the best leather cleaner /conditioner to see if it remedies the situation. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Digger11 is infamous around these parts
I have used the two leatherique products in the recommended order and they really didnt make that much difference.
I think the leather was well maintained by the previous owner so the leatherique didnt do much at all.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:32 PM
67427 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Digger11
I have used the two leatherique products in the recommended order and they really didnt make that much difference.
I think the leather was well maintained by the previous owner so the leatherique didnt do much at all.
Thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 67427
Late to the discussion. Dr. Did you finally use the product the way it is described in the posting, conditioner first, cleaner second? I am with you, not having used the product (but I will), it seems backward, and I wanted to see what was your experience. I have a bad problem with the leather of the driver's seat, I clean and condition it, and days later the leather feels sticky, it picks up lint from the pants or other clothing (eg., shirt) and the leather of the pant's belt sticks to it when I am sitting. Never had that experience before, so I am looking for the best leather cleaner /conditioner to see if it remedies the situation. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Yes I did the full tx as per the instructions. I was pleased with the results and had no issues. I did not and would not use it in the headliner in my GTC. I did find the process to be a bit messy and time consuming and therefore will look at it as a once or twice a year deep treatment/cleaning. The oily conditioner found it's way onto glass and wood where it did take some extra effort to remove thoroughly.

I do feel that this is a true leather treatment and conditioner as opposed to to a cleaner with a top dressing like most other one or two step processes. Try it but make sure you have the heat and time too let the oil penetrate. LMK what you think and if it cures the sticky seat.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 AM
DrD has it 100% right, Leatherique is a true leather conditioner and thus adds needed 'lubrication' back into the leather. Of course it may also depend in you live in a dry or moist (humidity) climate. Those of us in dry climates, at least me, find that once to perhaps twice a year is plenty and it keeps the leather from drying out plus avoids the usual pitfalls in leather when it gets too dry.