Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

My first bentley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM
cbarkly is infamous around these parts
Talking My first bentley

Hi All-
After years and years and years of looking, wanting, and saving, I finally picked up my first Bentley. It is a 2005 GT.

There are a couple of things wrong with it as it is used an advice on the price/method of fixing the following would be so greatly appreciated:

1) Headliner sagging - typical price?
2) Took out back bucket seats today to install subwoofers in trunk and found that the cotton mat underneath the seats were soaking wet (yes, there was and still remains a smell in the cabin) - any ideas how this can be?
3) when opening the trunk after it has rained or car has been washed, water which seems to have stayed in the spoiler will rush out and totally soak the trunk - this may explain #2? Am I missing a rubber strip or is this a defect in the 05s?
4) Car came with 22" rims and of course the TPMS is on. I assume I need a local rim shop to add them. Any advice on what it should cost?
5) Not sure how/why, but a few times the radio unit seems to freeze and go into a reset cycle. This has happened a few times now and only when going through the FM stations quickly... Advice?
6) Massager on chairs - mine massages, but has a very, very light touch to say the least. An 04 I tested last week was the exact opposite and was drilling waaaay too hard in my center back. Any input here?
7) My car did not come with an owner's manual - does anyone here know what it says about the use of Regular Unleaded. I have had an Audi A4 and a Jaguar XF - both said to use Premium but careful reading of the manual shows that using Regular would be just fine, although I would lose the obvious power gained in a higher octane gasoline. Input?
8) I have a Parking Brake signal in the center console. I saw others mentioned different issues that may be present. What's typical cost of fixing this?
9) Someone told me the GT needs a good service 1 time a year (he said oil change, etc)(not sure what the etc means here!). Someone quoted me $700. This sound right?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH to all. I am really enjoying the car and am happy to be a part of the community. I will likely post some pics soon.

Last edited by cbarkly; 06-13-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: update list
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on your new Bentley. Post some pics!

For #4:

From my research and other posters on this forum, TPMS sensor costs about $120-150 each + labour. I was quoted $1200 from a local bentley dealer and $700 from the rolls royce dealer I bought the car from.

For #7:

"To achieve optimum performance, Premium unleaded fuel, 95 RON minimum should be used."

Min octane is 91. 87 AKI unleaded can be used but with reduced performance.

Do not use lower than 87 AKI because it will damage the engine

Do not use leaded fuel. Just one tankful of leaded fuel will seriously impair the efficiency of, and cause damage to, the catalytic converter.

Do not use fuel additives.

Last edited by lilo1980; 06-13-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 PM
REDNOSEGT is infamous around these parts
Run high octane don't put **** in there

And 500 ball park to re glue the headliner , needs to be pulled out and re foamed with new foam

The trunk have drains blow some air thru them
Lift the wing up and I'm sure there is a drain hole there too

Last edited by REDNOSEGT; 06-13-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 PM
jeffreym is infamous around these parts
1. This is a known issue with the headliner. Expect to pay $500-$1000. 4. Just bought new TPMS from Bentley @ $150/each. Also known issue is the main control unit being defective. Cost on that is $500 plus $350 labor. The above is from my experience with my 1 month old '05 car also.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats, owning one is a pleasure second to none.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 PM
I disabled the tpms system
Cost = 0
Headaches with tpms failing = 0

Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 PM
How do you disable tpms?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:30 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
problem with 05 gt

#1 southern upholstery in miami repaired my sagging headliner, good job at fair price. #3 may be clogged drain holes. clear out with compressed air. also clear out drain hole in gas cap recess.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Larry, how much was it out the door for Southern Upholstery?
Also, where do you shoot the compressed air. I've looked up down and all around and can't figure the darned thing out.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by cbarkly
How do you disable tpms?
there is a diy section on here, do a search for tpms, you will find it. it involves a programmer or vcds vag, pull the fuse and recode the tpms code. its not that hard but you need the computer to do it.

print off instructions and bring to a vw or audi shop, cant charge you more than 40-60 bucks for a 10 min job.

im old school i like cars with less features, i hate all electronic gadgets,

Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
southern upholstery was $450.00 but he said more labor intensive than he realized so now may be more $. it has been a while since clearing drain holes, sorry for confusion. i think i came in through the 2 drain holes you see when you open the trunk and look along the bottom edge(about eye level)

Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Hope you get all your issues solved so you can more fully enjoy what i believe to be a great car.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Im killing each issue...one by one.
There is still an issue that lingers, pun intended. That is the smell of putrified leather (due to moisture coming into car via a leak) and I have yet to find a way to stop the smell emanating from that leather.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 PM
There is still an issue that lingers, pun intended. That is the smell of putrified leather (due to moisture coming into car via a leak) and I have yet to find a way to stop the smell emanating from that leather.

the interior shop that does your headliner tell them to re-wrap the panels and clean them all, unless you want to do it yourself. but its a job i would leave to a pro.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
As to your issue I'd take a round of Penicillin and use Leatherique to finish the treatment.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My first bentley