Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Help please with loading music to the hard drive.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:00 AM
V12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura about
Help please with loading music to the hard drive.

Hi all
May I have some help with loading my music onto the cars hard drive.
It's a 2013 Continental GT V8 with the stock infomat syatem.
I have all my CDs copied onto my laptop and play them with Itunes.
When I copy the songs onto an SD card and load it into the car it won't recognise the card.
I'm not a very good techie person with this stuff.
Can someone please give me some advice on how to do this.
Thanks

Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Alas, do not have that system here to do R&D testing, yet odds are it may be the way you formatted the memory card and/or the way you ripped the music. Some system require a certain type of formatting of the memory card to then read it. Is the card formatted in FAT32 or NTFS or ???? Also, when you copied the music are they in MP3, FLAC, WAV or ????

Old 09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
V12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura aboutV12Vantage has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for the information it has helped me to make some head way.

The car only reads MP3 files, the Itune files are MPG4 files.

I converted one song and it worked.

I now need to find a way of converting all my music without having to do them one at a time.

Any ideas welcome

Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm... not sure what computer program changes an entire library from ___ to MP3. Sorry, wish I knew more

Old 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM
I have pretty much solved the problem. Itunes allowed me to convert (export) all the songs to MP3 format, I left this running overnight.
The problem is that both Mpeg4 and Mp3 formats are now stored in the Itunes folder.
I then copied the entire folder to another MP3 folder and sorted the contents by type and deleted the MP4 files, this can now be loaded onto the car.
I still have to remove the MP3 files from my Itunes folder.
It's been a bit of faffing around but I got there in the end.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Dr. G has a spectacular aura aboutDr. G has a spectacular aura about
Steven, can players like the AK100/120 or the FiiO X3 interface with the car? I have everything stored in FLAC at home being that I'm using the Bryston as a digital source.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Yes with the MediaBridge, not sure if the new B models have analog input. For the MediaBridge it is analog 1/8" stereo input (SONG/input 5). The AK120 works fine in the B
Just remember that input ALSO has adjustments for bass/midrange/treble too. Of course the AK120 has an EQ too built-in.

MediaBridge source selection: The MediaBridge adds additional audio sources including iPod and auxiliary audio input. To cycle between these sources, use the TRACK buttons within the first 5 seconds of accessing the MediaBridge as the audio source. TRACK 1 = USB/iPod, TRACK 2 = Bluetooth, TRACK 5 = Auxiliary audio source.

Attached Images  

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 09-16-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM
I'll check into what inputs are available in the car I'm looking at. Is your system the stock or the Naim?

If it has an analog input, does that mean I need to call George to have him make me a cable?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Dr. G
I'll check into what inputs are available in the car I'm looking at. Is your system the stock or the Naim?
I have standard system in 2007 GTC as Naim was not offered until 2008 or thereabouts. Odds are the next (used) B will have the Naim system in it (and the speed/radar cruise control).

If it has an analog input, does that mean I need to call George to have him make me a cable?
George Cardas? Sure, great cables those! Use them in the 'recording studio' for the microphones. Smooth sounding cables, wonderfully harmonic and lovely. I use Ray Kimber's cables 100% silver for home/car audio as they tend to be a touch more 'up front'. Personal preference really, both are great so guess it comes down to how you feel the B's system sounds and the sound profile you desire. Come to think about it, should try the Cardas Cables too and will chat with George soon....

To my ears, the stock B system tends to be shy in the range from around 12kHz on up. The system could use more 'SMOOTH air' and uppermost extension, with the stock B's system's lackluster 3-band EQ it is unable to EQ that. The AK120 has an EQ with 16kHz adjustment and that helps out the situation, with my adjustment there being 3dB more at 16kHz.

HINT: If you don't care about front soundstage versus overall harmonics/structure you could use the fader and bring some of the sound to the rear of the car, as this does make a good difference in overall harmonics/inherent tonal characteristics. Note that the 06 GT and 07 GTC systems sound different a bit due to the GTC headliner being a GREAT sound absorption material. The GT seemed to have stronger bass and more muscular sound pressure whereas the GTC is smoother with better definition.

Why yes, I'm a music/sound geek

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 09-16-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Great info, thanks. I'm a music/sound geek too - I worked in a high end shop in Manhasset, NY on my day off when I first started practicing dentistry. I also played in a band, headlining around Manhattan for 11 years.

I'm currently organizing a jamfest type of festival at my home for next spring/summer (I have a good number of musician friends).

Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 PM
dtbh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
I have standard system in 2007 GTC as Naim was not offered until 2008 or thereabouts. Odds are the next (used) B will have the Naim system in it (and the speed/radar cruise control).
Is it difficult, or possible at all, to convert my 2007 GT stock to 2009 Naim? I may have a set of Naim available to me for free.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Impossible, i asked as have friends @ Naim. Harness and of course other bits are too different according to Bentley/Naim. Wanted to do the same thing.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 PM
dtbh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Impossible, i asked as have friends @ Naim. Harness and of course other bits are too different according to Bentley/Naim. Wanted to do the same thing.
Ooops, no luck. Thank goodness the stock system is already quite good. Thanks Steven.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi again guys, I need your opinion here.

I have eventually successfully loaded my music onto the hard drive, but I have a question.

Basically, I loaded the music with a folder for each artist, with each album in a sub folder beneath.

However when I select and play an artist it starts with the first album folder, if i use the random play it only plays that folder, it won't go the the next folder.

What have I done wrong or is this how it is supposed to work. The handbook isn't very helpful.

I expected to be able to randomly skip around all the albums for each artist.

Any sound advice graeatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Call Bentley is your best bet, every system has its own 'wonkiness'. This is why I prefer full control via the iTouch or for much better sound quality the Astell&Kern AK120.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help please with loading music to the hard drive.