Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

What kind of battery for CGT and Low Battery warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 PM
cl600bill is infamous around these parts
What kind of battery for CGT and Low Battery warning

My '06 Bentley Continental has started throwing "Low Battery Please Start Engine ' messages intermittently. Sometimes after 3 days of not starting it I'll not get the message and then after driving it for half an hour, parking for 10 minutes and restarting I will get the message. No pattern, just random. Always starts immmediately like in 2 seconds so I never get a chance to hear if starter is struggling with low power. Sometimes get "Key Not Recognized" message. Bought the car 2 years ago and the Battery make is VARTA AGM. Don't know if it could be original factory battery or has been replaced. Are replacements in the US typically with the VARTA or something else. What are you guys using for replacement batteries? Any advice or experiences appreciated. Bentley dealers are not real close so anyone with experience withVW dealers replaceing batteries or can an indy do it. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:30 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, we just discussed this a week or two ago:

Batteries from VW, CDN$

Main battery: 000 915 105 CE $220
Starter battery: 000 915 105 DE $139

Local VW dealer can easily do it as your Bentley GT is really just a VW Phaeton with some added bits.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Yes, I made a similar post a few weeks ago and received two excellent replies re cost and where I might have batteries replaced. I am hoping someone may have some input about brand of batteries to consider and especially any experience with "Low battery Please start engine" warning message. I did all the searching I could before I posted but if I broke any forum rules, I apologize. Thanks for any replies.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:53 PM
This is an update to previous post.I just talked to a highly recommended independent RR/Bentley service shop who said they usually use Interstate as replacement batteries. Has anyone used Interstate or other brands. I want to use the best available for greatest performance, reliability and durability. Thanks

Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Imho I've had the best results with Odyssey batteries. Their Extreme series in not cheap, yet have used them extensely in the Ferrari track rat, F2000 and others. If you want the best, imho the Extreme is the way to go.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme_batteries.aspx

Old 04-08-2017, 11:16 AM
jim2331 is infamous around these parts
...How did you resolve your battery issue...I replaced my main a month ago with help here from Johnny...a good experience...any other issues with your 2006 JimB

Old 04-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Smile CGT Battery Replacement

Jim I had Roselli's Foreign Car Service in San Jose replace both batteries with Interstates for about $500. Since then, no more "LOW BATTERY PLEASE START ENGINE" messages or throwing of strange codes or occasional no start without using key to turn in opposite direction that I think uses system battery instead of start battery for power. System battery on left side may have been OK but since both were VARTA brand which were likely original I opted to replace both for peace of mind.

You asked about other issues off the battery topic --- these cars seem to be bulletproof. It does have a few idiosyncrasies and quality items that seem to be common.

On coupes, the headliner detaches from the roof and sags. This should not happen on high end cars.

I have a rattle in the right exhaust at startup apparently caused by a baffle in the muffler or pipe that remains partially closed at idle to reduce rumble. My mechanic said it's so when two Bentleys are stopped along side each other they are better able to hear each other talk with the reduced rumble. No Grey Poupon stories required!

My car sometimes has a rough shift or "clunk" between first and second gear especially with slow starts. If I drive it more aggressively for a day it smooths out. I wonder if there is some kind of adaptive shift learning going on. I know the advice on this forum will be "Drive More Aggressively" and I would have to agree. In Sport mode, car becomes a rocket -- I've had friends drive it and they are shocked at the massive difference between D and S.