Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Advice on which car to get

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:58 AM
onefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to all
Advice on which car to get

I am getting ready to buy my first modern Bentley (had a turbo RL last year). I am coming from a tuned Porsche 996 Turbo.

To explain what I am looking for first understand that I want a car that will hold its value reasonably well (absolutely nothing that will depreciate faster than the payments buy down the loan), this is due to principle and not financial reasons.

Second, I would like a car that is less likely to have catastrophic issues (anything over 10k) that by fixing do not add value to the car (again, a matter of principle). For example, a week in on owning my turbo I had to pull the engine to fix a common issue with the coolant lines (would have been 5K with nothing else done, I spend 10k to get every little part replaced that could fail in the future) but doing this repair improves the value of the vehicle ~3k (with all I did it improved the value 5-6k).

I'm aware of the issues with the vacuum lines, struts and pumps that fail, and a few other issues that will thousand dollar you to death. I'm trying to find the sweet spot between increased price on a newer vehicle and issues that certain years of older vehicles have.

I have so far surmised that 04-06 is a bad idea given the vacuum issues and given that they didnt have a GTC or speed available, are out of the running.
I have not yet been able to figure out of 07's have this issue but understand it was fixed by the time 2008's came around (did 2007's have the vacuum issue that requires engine removal for repair?).
2009's have upgraded steering and a few electronic tidbits (naim, ipod, etc) but cost a good bit more (is a 2009 worth the increased $ over a 2008?).

I'm not afraid of mileage for a driver but tend to keep cars 1-2 years and drive them ~10,000 miles a year so would prefer a lower or mid mileage (40,000 mile) car so the mileage isn't a deterrent to prospective buyers when I resell.

Now to the good stuff, the vehicles I am considering

The specs are:
2008 Speed in Bernardo Green over Beige with 17,000 miles and I can buy it for low 70's. Clean Carfax, records, good tires, recent service, books, keys, car cover, battery tender, etc. How sensitive are these cars to resale with a color like this? It isn't my favorite but think its novel and if I dislike it I would wrap the car while I own it.

2009 GTC in Black Metallic over a Black Interior with 51,000 miles and I can buy for very low 70's or maybe high 60's. It is a mulliner spec car, naim audio, convenience package, and ipod. Clean carfax, some records, keys, and still waiting to hear about the other goodies.

2007 GTC Gloss Black over Saddle with 45,000 miles and I can buy for low 60's. It has mulliner wheels, records, new front struts, new tires, clean carfax, books, and keys. Do these cars have the engine vacuum leak issue in 2007 or was it fixed for this model year?

Having never driven a speed I'm not sure on the merits of it but if I had to choose I would choose a convertible over a coupe any day of the week.

Given my preference for a cab, is the speed that much better than the base car? I would also tune whatever car I got.

Sorry for the long winded post with so much information but such information is required for everyone to make a response that is helpful to me in making a decision.

If you have actually read all this to formulate a response I thank you and if you ever come to St. Louis please contact me and I'll buy you a drink.

Last edited by onefastman1; 12-26-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:25 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Depreciation at these lower levels should not be too bad (famous last words, I know). You seem very well informed so you know the costs to keep these running. Basically plan on losing only $6k or so per year one way or another. If you're good with that figure 'give or take' you'll be fine.

>>>2007 GTC... Do these cars have the engine vacuum leak issue in 2007...?<<<

Yes, the one here did.

2009 in the high 60's would be a good target. 2008 was a good nice refresh year versus 2007 and earlier. The 2009 with Naim audio and other bits you mentioned seems nice so work as good a deal as you can perhaps. One guy here wisely had the Bentley dealer include two years of CPO coverage in case something went wrong as i recall... shoot for that for sure.

BTW, we have seen the odd vacuum problems with 2008 (I think it was a 2009 actually). Look, we all know you don't buy a Bentley for its reliability, low cost to maintain or resale value. Overall it's a nice cruiser with good speed and comfort. Keep about 5k to 10k ready for that 'just in case' fund and you should be ok.

As for the Speed version, save your $ imho and get the 2009 and then add $4k to have GAIC tune and bypass the 'extra' cats done. JMHO unless you plan to track it here and there and need CF brakes, a bit stiffer suspension and whatnot.

It is great you appear to have done lots of research so know the deal going in on these cars. Look fwd to you posting pics of whatever you decide upon.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Townshend is infamous around these parts
Steven might be referring to me, I purchased an 09 with two years CPO negotiated into the final price. I posted some details but happy to share specifics directly. Feel free to PM me. FWIW the warranty has, sort of, already paid for itself. The black plastic piece that goes inside the volume **** came out somehow (my guess is vacuum). To replace, the whole head unit needed to be swapped, $6k in parts alone! Dropped it off, Bentley overnighted a new unit, car was ready the next afternoon: $0 spent.

Conversely if you ever make it up to Chicago happy to let you take her for a spin and answer any questions.