Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Should i replace all o2 sensors? Engine removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 01:08 AM
turbo_secret is infamous around these partsturbo_secret is infamous around these parts
Should i replace all o2 sensors? Engine removal

I will be removing the engine for the second time in one year due to the leaking vacuum line and was wondering if i should mind as well replace the o2 sensors? It's a 05 continental gt with 70k miles. Flying spares has the sensors for roughly $1200 but ive found aftermarket ones for $100 each. Anybody use the aftermarket o2 sensors?

Old 01-31-2016, 01:11 AM
turbo_secret is infamous around these partsturbo_secret is infamous around these parts
I have codes p0160 and p2279. P0160 is a o2 sensor but i dont know if the vacuum leak would be causing the sensor to act up.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:45 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
I'd change it just to be safe. Good 'insurance' for only $200.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
If you're going to change the sensors, change all four (each side has a pre-cat and a post cat sensor). Given the cost of the engine removal, also check your starter motor which is relatively inexpensive but requires an engine out to replace.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by PMS
If you're going to change the sensors, change all four (each side has a pre-cat and a post cat sensor). Given the cost of the engine removal, also check your starter motor which is relatively inexpensive but requires an engine out to replace.
Have you ever heard of anyone using aftermarket o2 sensors?

Old 01-31-2016, 11:50 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by turbo_secret
Have you ever heard of anyone using aftermarket o2 sensors?
I'm not saying aftermarket won't work, only that given the cost/effort of engine or cat/downpipe removal, it isn't worth the risk. If you want OEM, try Flying Spares or Scuderia Systems in the UK. I have been able to land OEM parts at about 55-60% of what the local B. dealer wants. Also, check with VW. The Phaeton sensors are probably the same and if so, substantially less money.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:10 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
GREAT advice PMS! VW parts work fine for me and good catch on replacing the starter, another known problem.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by PMS
I'm not saying aftermarket won't work, only that given the cost/effort of engine or cat/downpipe removal, it isn't worth the risk. If you want OEM, try Flying Spares or Scuderia Systems in the UK. I have been able to land OEM parts at about 55-60% of what the local B. dealer wants. Also, check with VW. The Phaeton sensors are probably the same and if so, substantially less money.
Yea thats true! I will probably order all four from flyingspares. I dont know if i should do the starter though because 70k miles sounds low for a starter.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:14 PM
And 28k miles was low for a known defective false air problem to develop. Remember, these cars have widely known problems and the starter is one of those. Of course you can always just pull the engine again if that situation occurs.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
And 28k miles was low for a known defective false air problem to develop. Remember, these cars have widely known problems and the starter is one of those. Of course you can always just pull the engine again if that situation occurs.
Yea we took the engine out already and its a pretty big job. I dont want to be taking the engine out every year haha. I will probably order the starter since its about $600 from flying spare. Good website for bentley parts compared to dealer prices.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:54 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
what brand of the aftermarket sensor you use?
is it plug and play or u need to rewire it?
if u need to rewire it i suppose u shouldn't do it.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang
what brand of the aftermarket sensor you use? is it plug and play or u need to rewire it? if u need to rewire it i suppose u shouldn't do it.
I'm actually going to use OEM sensors from flyingspares. Too afraid that the aftermarket sensors might not work as they should and don't want to risk it!

Old 04-08-2017, 08:44 AM
jim2331 is infamous around these parts
....like the guy says on Shark Tank...might be time to take the dog behind the barn...JimB

Old 04-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced my O2 sensors with aftermarket Walker brand, costed bout $300
1x Walker Products 250-25003 5-Wire Wideband Sensor 1x Walker Products 250-25003 5-Wire Wideband Sensor
1x Walker Products 250-25008 5-Wire Wideband Sensor 1x Walker Products 250-25008 5-Wire Wideband Sensor
2x New O2 Oxygen Sensor Downstream Upstream VW, AUDI BENTLEY 234-4809 \13

I have to admit though, I was really nervous about them first not working right, but now its tested and working.