Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

06 Contiental GT idle issue when cold out, misfire codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Adrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud ofAdrenalinejunky has much to be proud of
06 Contiental GT idle issue when cold out, misfire codes

Fairly new owner of a 06 Gt. With 23,000 miles. I have owned and wrenched on several Audi's. Including head jobs and timing belts, clutches and brakes. Usually mods or preventive maintaince,
When warm out the Bentley runs and idles normal, no issues. But if the temps outside dip below let's say 40? When I start the car it idles perfect for about 20 seconds then it's starts a "mis type of rough idle" any gas pedal movement and it smooths out. Once the car is running for a min or two the idles smooths and it runs drives and idles just as it should. The first time it didn't throw a check engine light so I initially chalked to up to inferior gas possibly. I have ran at least 2 tanks threw it since the first time. Going to near empty then refilling at a known good gas station with premium. Again if it's above 40-50 outside the Car Always starts and idles drives perfect. This only happens when it is "colder" outside. So it did finally throw a check eng light. It goes away after you cycle the ignition. So on a cold day I May (but not always) get a check engine light but I definatly get some rough idle after 20 seconds. Then it smooths out and runs and drives normal. Then the next day it is warmer and I got no rough idle whatsoever ever even in the "morning" start. And of course it runs fine.

Check engine light... Goes off when you cycle ignition and restart car and stays off till you start the car "when it's been cold out and has sat for several hours"
Autozone cheap reader says. 2 codes
Multiple misfires, and misfire on 1,2,3,4,5,6.

Bentley suggested I put new battery's in. "They Always start there he said" they at just so power hungry and low voltage can "cause weird things" but it has New battery's within the last 4 months. Also I tried to force it to do the rough idle when it was already up to temp by leaving on ignition HVAC and headlights on purpose for about 45 min Not running! and the battery got down a little under 12v. Car did crank a little slow but no rough idle and no check engine light. So I don't feel it is battery related at all. I'm wondering why 1,2,3,4,5,6 are all misfiring or is possible just info from a limited ability scanner? The scanner did read the vin and pull up the car so it's not the very basic basic one.
I went to a independent shop, they do some Bentley but not many mostly VW Audi. They can't get me in for over a week. Plus I honestly haven't ever really had much luck a shops that's why I end up doing it myself.
After some VW phaeton searching I am leaning towards replacing the 2 coolant temp senders. I inspected 1 throttle body and it was super clean. Thoughts? Thanks and Any suggestion or other places to look or ask would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Rons GT Speed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Adrenalinejunky
Fairly new owner of a 06 Gt. With 23,000 miles. I have owned and wrenched on several Audi's. Including head jobs and timing belts, clutches and brakes. Usually mods or preventive maintaince,
When warm out the Bentley runs and idles normal, no issues. But if the temps outside dip below let's say 40? When I start the car it idles perfect for about 20 seconds then it's starts a "mis type of rough idle" any gas pedal movement and it smooths out. Once the car is running for a min or two the idles smooths and it runs drives and idles just as it should. The first time it didn't throw a check engine light so I initially chalked to up to inferior gas possibly. I have ran at least 2 tanks threw it since the first time. Going to near empty then refilling at a known good gas station with premium. Again if it's above 40-50 outside the Car Always starts and idles drives perfect. This only happens when it is "colder" outside. So it did finally throw a check eng light. It goes away after you cycle the ignition. So on a cold day I May (but not always) get a check engine light but I definatly get some rough idle after 20 seconds. Then it smooths out and runs and drives normal. Then the next day it is warmer and I got no rough idle whatsoever ever even in the "morning" start. And of course it runs fine.

Check engine light... Goes off when you cycle ignition and restart car and stays off till you start the car "when it's been cold out and has sat for several hours"
Autozone cheap reader says. 2 codes
Multiple misfires, and misfire on 1,2,3,4,5,6.

Bentley suggested I put new battery's in. "They Always start there he said" they at just so power hungry and low voltage can "cause weird things" but it has New battery's within the last 4 months. Also I tried to force it to do the rough idle when it was already up to temp by leaving on ignition HVAC and headlights on purpose for about 45 min Not running! and the battery got down a little under 12v. Car did crank a little slow but no rough idle and no check engine light. So I don't feel it is battery related at all. I'm wondering why 1,2,3,4,5,6 are all misfiring or is possible just info from a limited ability scanner? The scanner did read the vin and pull up the car so it's not the very basic basic one.
I went to a independent shop, they do some Bentley but not many mostly VW Audi. They can't get me in for over a week. Plus I honestly haven't ever really had much luck a shops that's why I end up doing it myself.
After some VW phaeton searching I am leaning towards replacing the 2 coolant temp senders. I inspected 1 throttle body and it was super clean. Thoughts? Thanks and Any suggestion or other places to look or ask would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like one of the coolant sensors especially when it is below or near 40 degrees during startup. The misfire could possibly be the sensors causing a rich run condition until operating temp is reached. Do you have any way to read the 02 sensors when the condition exists? If not pull a couple spark plugs during the first startup to see if they are running rich (wet or dark colored). Also you might entertain the use of a local smog machine when the condition exists.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:31 AM
jim2331 is infamous around these parts
....just read your issue...what was final solution...JimB San Francisco

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.