Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Is PMS a Forum Moderator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:47 AM
jim2331 is infamous around these parts
Is PMS a Forum Moderator

....This is a valid question...While I respect PMS's knowledge of this Forum's subject matter, I would like him to state publicly if he either is a moderator or is acting as a moderator. If that is the case I will restrict my forum activities accordingly...
....I particularly question that this Forum's goal is to be Bentley "Wikipedia" restricted to technical discourse...
....I understand Forum rules prohibit impersonation of Forum Staff...
....Further...Public and Free discussion is superior to Private...

PMS

PMS is a jewel in the roughPMS is a jewel in the roughPMS is a jewel in the roughPMS is a jewel in the rough

Continuing discussion
Hi Jim,
As I mentioned on the forum, I am using the PM function to communicate directly with you.

Here is your last public comment to me:

....you may be totally correct...however...if my son was considering buying an early Bentley or for that matter almost any GTC...I would strongly advise against it for all the known defects. I do not think I am more emphatic than Steven, who has forgotten more on this subject than I will ever know. If one wants to buy an early CGT
as a project, that makes sense, as long as you know up front the existing or potential issues.
I'm sorry you think reviewing year old posts is a waste of time. I find them very interesting.
Now on the technical matters, please advise me what matters you take exception. I have no technical expertise regarding Bentley and less about computers but I do have 70 years experience working on my own cars so that counts for something.
....Do you particularly object to my recent post about the inept, dishonest Indie in Florida who was recommended here...that was from a year old post.
...anyhow I will take your criticism seriously since I believe both of us have good intentions...
JimB

Here is my response:

I would treat your father/son analogy this way. If my son was considering buying an early BCGT, I would be compelled to alert him to problems that owners have reported. However, if my son announced that he had bought an early BCGT, I would not impune his judgement by saying he had made a mistake. This would serve no purpose and would only add distance to our relationship. I am not defending the early series BCGTs, I am pointing out that criticizing them to existing owners is corrosive.

Regarding your review of old posts. I was not criticizing as much as pointing out that the general lack of response to your questions is probably due to the fact that the original poster had moved on. Like you, I like to see the final resolution of identified problems as it is most helpful. That being said, when you add a comment, you bump the post to the top. Those of us who think of the forum as a Bentley Wikipedia, wish to review new insights, not get bogged down in personal comments.

Regarding technical expertise. Forum members cover the broad spectrum from world-class mechanical engineers to backyard punters. The common and compelling focus has been on technical questions and published technical responses. Your 70 years as a car enthusiast certainly qualifies you to participate. However, this is a Bentley forum, not a platform for sharing past adventures. You are not currently a Bentley expert. You are an owner and an enthusiast. If a member wishes to search out a subject, many of your comments do not contribute to the factual base of information being researched. If you don't have a technical question or a technical response, I am asking you to observe the dialogue of others and benefit from it, not comment on "how things were done back in the day" as this is not helpful and clutters up the forum. Doing so turns the forum from an invaluable resource into a type of FaceBook for car guys.

Younger members wish to customize their Bentleys. That is their choice and it is not my place to criticize their efforts. If they want to put a different bumper on, the only point of interest to me is the technical considerations in doing so. I am not qualified, not do I feel it appropriate to comment on their taste.

That being said, your battery replacement adventure was a good example of the forum at its best. You had a question, Johnny walked you through it and success was achieved. Those that didn't know the procedure, benefited. I do not object to you commenting on a dishonest indie in Florida if you have direct experience with this vendor. Doing so benefits all members of the forum. What I object to is expressing an opinion on topics without having hands-on knowledge or experience.

Again, thank you for considering my comments. I hope you will accept them in the spirit they are offered.

regards,
Peter

Old 04-13-2017, 10:17 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I am not the forum moderator. My views are mine alone and are not offered as representing any other member's opinions.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM
jim2331 is infamous around these parts
...Thank you Peter for the clarification...out of consideration of your sensitivities I will hence forth restrict my "droning on" about whatever...you know us old folks get a little dotty...now me and my caregiver will take our walk around the ward...JimB

Old 04-13-2017, 10:58 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Sorry Jim, but I don't consider that to be a valid question on an open forum.
PMS was courteous enough to PM you, so you should have asked that question the same way.
As for the Mod's, I haven't a clue who they are and am not really bothered.

Les.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
You guys should be happy you don't know who the mods are...it's a good indication you are being left alone to enjoy the site...this thread is inappropriate for open forum as questions about members should be directed at staff not posted in open forum...thread closed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.