Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

New Bentley Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:01 AM
BenTailor is infamous around these parts
New Bentley Buyer Questions

New member, new Bentley buyer -- looking at a 2014 Flying Spur, 25k miles, with at least one year of CPO Warranty. Coming from a Mercedes S550. $120k now, $230k new.

Questions for you experienced Bentley owners:

* How much depreciation can I expect over the next 2 years? Dealer says $15k per year for a trade. Fair?

* How much will a car like this cost to own? Service / maintenance? Do I expect things to go wrong, or will a 2014 be reliable? What do I budget?

* Is there a big difference between taking it to a Bentley certified independent mechanic versus the dealer? Especially for trade in / sales value. I may prefer the Indy.

* What's your take on these 12 year exotic car loans from companies like Woodside Credit? With the value of the trade-in, the payment would be lower than on my S550.

* Live in Chicago. Tough winters usually. Anything to know about this car as a daily driver?

Thank you in advance!! Grateful for your experience.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:01 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
here's my responses below

Originally Posted by BenTailor

* How much depreciation can I expect over the next 2 years? Dealer says $15k per year for a trade. Fair?

Take a look at ebay sold prices for 2010-2013 models to see what the going prices are for 1, 2 and 3 year older cars. This will give some indication of depreciation and mileage impacts, particularly 2012 and 2013 as these have the same updated body style/tech.

* How much will a car like this cost to own? Service / maintenance? Do I expect things to go wrong, or will a 2014 be reliable? What do I budget?

I'm a 1st time owner but I am mentally putting aside $4-5k per year on average. Same as for my boat, which to me is a similar investment from usage, maintenance and costs vs. value. You can DIY but parts are crazy prices and space to work on the motor is tight.

* Is there a big difference between taking it to a Bentley certified independent mechanic versus the dealer? Especially for trade in / sales value. I may prefer the Indy.

In either case, you want one with a proven reputation. May want to also check out that your Indy has the proper tools. My local VW/Porsche/Audi independent does many local Bentleys and maybe you have a similar situation.

* Live in Chicago. Tough winters usually. Anything to know about this car as a daily driver?

As good or better in snow than my previous a6 4.2 quattro. Nice and heavy, and as with all snow driving AWD/weight/traction is good to get you going, but remember the weight of these things and that the bigger source of problems / accidents is getting the vehicle to stop or turn on slippery surfaces. If you live in an icy area with hills, the weight could be a a disadvantage unless you have studded tires. The one I drove in snow wasn't mine and had all seasons but I imagine blizzaks or the like would be a great addition if you insist on/have to be driving it in inclement weather.

Like a lot of VAG products (I have 4) it does prefer to be kept in the garage. 3 of my 4 vw based cars (930, 951, Audi Q7 and Continental) have had water intrusion problems. (930 is only one that didn't have any problems. Q7 and continental have similar problems with drains needing to be cleared and 951 hatch de-laminated after many, many years of service.)

*Thank you in advance!! Grateful for your experience.

you bet

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.