Headliner question for Johnny Hotspur GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2018 | 03:56 PM
|
zissis is infamous around these parts
Headliner question for Johnny Hotspur GT

Johnny,

I am about to do the headliner fix and since you have done it ... twice, I have a few questions if you don't mind.
  1. You have stated that we should not use the crappy environmentally friendly spay adhesive but the stronger stinky one. What's the brand name?
  2. You stated that you had to redo the work because you initially used a 1 inch foam but since the leather shrinks you had to use a thinner one. What was the thickness that worked and what type of foam should I use?
  3. I watched the Alpine Performance video about how to remove the headliner, they stated that we have to remove the weather stripping around the door opening. Did you have to do that and if so, is that glued on and if so what type of glue do I use to put it back on?
  4. The front seat area of my headliner is still securely fastened. I assume I will have to peal it off and start from scratch instead of just replacing the foam in the rear area correct?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-09-2018 | 10:00 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Zissis,

Back in the day I always used 3M's "8080" it was great, but now it is called "8088", and I do not think it is as good, nor was the one in the orange can, (can not remember the number of the orange can at the moment) but the 3M HS 90 is a good one.

1) So for number one question look at these links, and check out either the Rochford HL adhesive, or their HD adhesive.

8088 AKA "8080" http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/A...80)/index.html

3M HS 90 http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/A...ive/index.html

Rochford HL & Trim adhesive http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/A...ive/index.html

and the one I think would be the best by specs..... the Rochford HD adhesive. http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/A...ive/index.html

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/tech_d...ive%202016.pdf

2) You should use either 1/4" or 1/2" at the most, it should be a firm foam but not to hard, you want some cushion, but not that greenish foam that collapses to nothing between your fingers, I got my white foam at a arts & craft store "Michaels", but here are some foams from Rochford with the 1/2" listed. http://www.rochfordsupply.com/produc..._ProdID_E_3310

3) I already had mine off for cleaning of the complete body, so I could not say at this moment if it is necessary to remove the gaskets to do HL, but either way there is no glue, they are pressed on, very easy to remove and re-install, I am not at the car at this moment, but as I type this I am thinking that the felt trim may be attached to the gasket or itself may have to come off, but again, no glue, I will look when I get home after mid-night.... working 7 days since November, I think.... No time to work on my Baby...

4) Yes, you will have to pull it all off, BUT, look and see if you can determine how bad the foam deterioration is, mine was bad, and when trying to glue in place it left pimples all over the leather from the little pieces of foam all up in there, see my rebuild pics where I scraped all the bad foam off to expose the fiberglass shell.

Good luck to you !

Johnny J J 908-507-6357

Originally Posted by zissis
Johnny,

I am about to do the headliner fix and since you have done it ... twice, I have a few questions if you don't mind.
  1. You have stated that we should not use the crappy environmentally friendly spay adhesive but the stronger stinky one. What's the brand name?
  2. You stated that you had to redo the work because you initially used a 1 inch foam but since the leather shrinks you had to use a thinner one. What was the thickness that worked and what type of foam should I use?
  3. I watched the Alpine Performance video about how to remove the headliner, they stated that we have to remove the weather stripping around the door opening. Did you have to do that and if so, is that glued on and if so what type of glue do I use to put it back on?
  4. The front seat area of my headliner is still securely fastened. I assume I will have to peal it off and start from scratch instead of just replacing the foam in the rear area correct?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-24-2020 | 08:56 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @zissis ,
I just realized that you never responded to my long detailed response to your questions, how did you make out ?

Johnny

Old 05-24-2020 | 09:44 PM
|
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @zissis ,
I just realized that you never responded to my long detailed response to your questions, how did you make out ?

Johnny
I forgot to respond. It worked out perfectly. Your advice on the thickness was spot on.

Old 05-25-2020 | 02:27 AM
Administrator
Great pics !
Thank you.
Which glue did you end up using ?

Johnny

Old 05-25-2020 | 12:06 PM
|
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Great pics !
Thank you.
Which glue did you end up using ?

Johnny
I asked my local fabricator who is a friend of mine and won sema many years in a row. He recommended the Landau contact cement. He uses it on all his builds and never had it come undone.
https://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/...ontact-cement/

Old 05-25-2020 | 10:03 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by zissis
I asked my local fabricator who is a friend of mine and won sema many years in a row. He recommended the Landau contact cement. He uses it on all his builds and never had it come undone.
https://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/...ontact-cement/
@zissis ,
Thank you for the information.

Johnny

Old 06-26-2022 | 09:42 AM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
Zissis, What thickness foam and type did you end up going with? The 1/4" or 1/2"? The link to the Rochford Foam doesn't work anymore, but I do have an email out to them to see if they still have the E 3310 or if has been replaced.