Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley Continental GT 2005 strange engine sound on start up and during drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2019 | 06:01 AM
|
shangatic is infamous around these parts
Post Bentley Continental GT 2005 strange engine sound on start up and during drive

Hi everyone, I've got a Bentley GT 2005.
My car has started to make a strained engine sound everytime I start the car and is there when I'm driving it too.
I was wondering if someone could help me diagnose what this sound is coming from the engine bay.
It only started making this sound yesterday.
I've made a short clip of the the ignition cycle and you can hear it when it fires up.

Video LINK of issue>> - Bentley Continental GT Engine strange noise - YouTube

Any help is appreciated. Also, if anyone knows what the remedy is and roughly what it entails.
I'm based in the Midlands UK so any recommendations where to get it fixed would be great.
Thanks

Old 07-14-2019 | 08:12 AM
W. M. Hellinger is infamous around these parts
That sounds like the power steering pump is cavitating.

Old 07-14-2019 | 08:57 AM
|
Thanks for the message Mr Hellinger. I'll look into it. Thanks

Old 07-14-2019 | 09:01 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Indeed power steering pump. Only use chf11 fluid if you need to top off. They do not consume oil so there could be a leak or pump or rack and pinion is failing. These are things to evaluate.

Old 07-14-2019 | 09:39 AM
|
Thanks for the feedback - is this where the power steering fluid goes? I checked this and it is at minimum level so I can top this up with the chf11. I'm wondering whether this resolve the noisy power steering pump if this was the place for the power steering fluid?Thanks

Old 07-14-2019 | 09:44 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by shangatic
Thanks for the feedback - is this where the power steering fluid goes? I checked this and it is at minimum level so I can top this up with the chf11. I'm wondering whether this resolve the noisy power steering pump if this was the place for the power steering fluid?Thanks
That's it. Hopefully that resolves the noise. Should the noise persist then evaluation of the power steering pump and rack and pinion is in order. The fluid went somewhere so suggest having the car lifted and looking around the plastic under shield for dampness. Should there be a slight leak good to catch it now before it becomes a big leak.

Old 07-14-2019 | 12:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
That's it. Hopefully that resolves the noise. Should the noise persist then evaluation of the power steering pump and rack and pinion is in order. The fluid went somewhere so suggest having the car lifted and looking around the plastic under shield for dampness. Should there be a slight leak good to catch it now before it becomes a big leak.
I topped it up with CHF and the noise level did go down but I can still hear a humming sound, I think there is a leak under the car. Im going to get the transported to a local independent garage.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks

Old 07-28-2019 | 02:52 PM
|
I topped it up with CHF and the noise level did go down but I can still hear a humming sound, I think there is a leak under the car. Im going to get the transported to a local independent garage.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks
Update:
It turns out to be a hydraulic leak in one of the power steering pipes. One pipe heavily corroded and split.
1st option - replace existing piping
2nd option - repair the leak using copper piping

The 2nd option costs less due to less labour time / parts material.

The garage also found that the steering rack has slight leak from offside track rod end gaiter area. Could this be repaired / reconditioned or does it need replacing? Can I leave the steering rack alone ?
Thanks

Old 07-28-2019 | 03:18 PM
Update:
It turns out to be a hydraulic leak in one of the power steering pipes. One pipe heavily corroded and split.
1st option - replace existing piping
2nd option - repair the leak using copper piping

The 2nd option costs less due to less labour time / parts material.

The garage also found that the steering rack has slight leak from offside track rod end gaiter area. Could this be repaired / reconditioned or does it need replacing? Can I leave the steering rack alone ?
Thanks
I'm not confident that copper tubing replacement is a viable option. The factory pipes have pressure fittings that screw things together. Once the hydraulic rack and pinion starts leaking as described it's time to replace it.

Old 07-29-2019 | 04:13 PM
|
Thanks for the advice. I'll get replacement pipes and I've got a quote to the rack reconditioned which is more cost effective than buying a new rack.

Old 08-06-2019 | 05:58 PM
flyer39 is infamous around these parts
Great thread!

Old 08-10-2019 | 05:59 PM
|
Thanks for the advice. I'll get replacement pipes and I've got a quote to the rack reconditioned which is more cost effective than buying a new rack.

Update
I got my car back in Friday. I managed to get the steering rack reconditioned with new seals etc from a local company in the Midlands. I had a local garage to them remove and refit the rack all for a very reasonable price. The garage also changed the damaged high pressure hose with new factory parts I ordered. Overall very happy with the result and can feel the steering really light when making 3 point turns.

What I learned is that it is best to shop around and get opinions on what is best course of action especially when it could cost a lot of money.

Old 08-10-2019 | 06:00 PM
|
Update
I got my car back in Friday. I managed to get the steering rack reconditioned with new seals etc from a local company in the Midlands. I had a local garage to them remove and refit the rack all for a very reasonable price. The garage also changed the damaged high pressure hose with new factory parts I ordered. Overall very happy with the result and can feel the steering really light when making 3 point turns.

What I learned is that it is best to shop around and get opinions on what is best course of action especially when it could cost a lot of money.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Old 08-11-2019 | 02:32 AM
Rico.Adams is infamous around these parts
Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Great Job sounds like a very positive outcome ...

Old 08-12-2019 | 07:39 AM
Yoghurtshotgun is infamous around these parts
Another great thread love this forum and how people help each other (although no one can yet fix my rear spoiler issue ha ha) keep up the great work guys

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley Continental GT 2005 strange engine sound on start up and during drive