Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Rear Led Tail Lamp rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2019 | 01:18 PM
Rico.Adams is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BWings
Most modern lights are glued. We did headlight fixes on Corvettes all the time. The process is bake in the oven at lowest heat about 20 minutes. This softens the glue. Use gloves and work the lenses off with screwdrivers or plastic interior tools. The hard part is cleaning up the glue residue out of the glue track in the light housing. The lens releases usually pretty clean. But we were replacing the lenses because they wouldn't clean up anymore...too foggy.

Then, because I live in the land of fire, I tried these lenses below outside in the sun (107*F) for four hours and the lenses released just as easily as baking in the oven. They glue back in with rubberized construction glue.

This is the set I released with 4 hours of ambient hot air

Then lenses off and glue tracks cleaned up.

One Corvette guy made a business out of this, so if you want pretty sure instructions to remove light lenses from the housings, you can follow his DIY here:

https://www.c6c7vette.com/diy-instructions
You live in an oven Steve ... Lol ... great info & the link ... Im sure NG will be on it ...

Old 09-03-2019 | 05:09 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
You may also check with a local customization shop, the guys here separate/re-glue these all the time to 'black out' headlights and tail lights, etc without using film and for LED conversions of older cars with plastic headlights/tail lights. Lot of 'e - code' audis and the like.

Old 09-04-2019 | 08:20 AM
|
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
@sam08861 Bentley is so rare in my country so less people will touch in it...
do u know how to separte the glue without breaking the Tail Light lens

Old 09-04-2019 | 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang
@sam08861 Bentley is so rare in my country so less people will touch in it...
do u know how to separte the glue without breaking the Tail Light lens
NG ... read BWings notes on how to separate the lens from the cluster ...

Old 09-04-2019 | 10:55 AM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
If you don't want to do the oven method that B-Wings and Rico mentioned you can cut them out with a dremel or hot knife. A lot of folks use clear silicone to re-glue.

Not specifically Bentley, and these guys seem to be hacks, but you'll get the general idea.

Not for the faint of heart, lol

Old 09-25-2019 | 06:22 AM
|
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
sorry for long time reply..
due to bussiness so I'm slow on fixing my bentley....
here is the update... the tail light use special glue...
we even put it in Baking machine but no success to separate the Lens...
I will update soon... what will we do next
maybe cut it in the back?

Old 09-25-2019 | 08:55 AM
sorry for long time reply..
due to bussiness so I'm slow on fixing my bentley....
here is the update... the tail light use special glue...
we even put it in Baking machine but no success to separate the Lens...
I will update soon... what will we do next
maybe cut it in the back?
Seems like your on a mission NG ...

Old 09-25-2019 | 10:23 AM
|
@Rico.Adams yeah... the people I gave my taillight is professional here.. they said it can't be open by heating...
need to be cut.. which I ;m still scare...
just wonder how much is the brand new tail lamp...

Old 09-25-2019 | 10:26 AM
@Rico.Adams yeah... the people I gave my taillight is professional here.. they said it can't be open by heating...
need to be cut.. which I ;m still scare...
just wonder how much is the brand new tail lamp...
I don't know how much new tail lights are but seconds are around £500 each ... What was you doing in the pictures you posted ...

Old 09-25-2019 | 10:30 AM
|
they are putting the heating protection on the lens..
put it in special baking machine for headlight or regular taillight.. then the glue will be soften...then they can pry off the lens so I can take the circuit board out then doing a repair...
but.. the mission is impossible now.. So I'm thinking of cutting in the back to get the board out then doing a repair.

Old 09-25-2019 | 10:32 AM
|
@all : or anyone know if I can bypass the bulb check warning because my Tail light only has problem with few LED bulb out?

Old 09-25-2019 | 11:25 AM
they are putting the heating protection on the lens..
put it in special baking machine for headlight or regular taillight.. then the glue will be soften...then they can pry off the lens so I can take the circuit board out then doing a repair...
but.. the mission is impossible now.. So I'm thinking of cutting in the back to get the board out then doing a repair.
Why is it impossible isn't the glue softening, instead of prizing the lens off which may crack its best to cut in between the lens & the housing.
Making a hole in the back isn't a great idea how you going to make it good & even if you do how you doing to detach the LED board ...

Old 09-25-2019 | 11:26 AM
@all : or anyone know if I can bypass the bulb check warning because my Tail light only has problem with few LED bulb out?
NG ... don't know what you mean by bypassing the bulb (warning) ...

Old 09-25-2019 | 04:48 PM
nguyennhatquang,

See the 2 youtube videos on cutting it open. The materials for the bentley tail lights are not unique or of any special materials or technology than any other led tail light.

You will just need to plan carefully summon the courage to make the cuts where your handiwork will be safely hidden from view. Take your time to inspect the tail light, use a sharpie to mark where you want to make the cuts and then get to it! Don't be scared!

Silicone or anything that properly seals the unit will work fine. If you use flex silicone to reattach, the advantage is that you can remove and replace easier internals in the future. (or re-do it, if you mess up the alignment, though that will be easy to avoid)

If you're looking to save some money, get a dremel with a cut of disc and get in there!

If you're thinking of buying new, you've got nothing to lose by giving this a shot before ordering, so go for it.

PS.. one thing I would DOUBLE check before cutting, is that the voltage going to the tail light is good and changes as it should with brakes pressed, lights on, etc, so that you're not incorrectly 'blaming' the tail light, when it could be a wiring problem.

Last edited by sam08861; 09-25-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2019 | 04:44 AM
Hi NG ... How you getting on with the rear lights, any luck with splitting the lens from the housing ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Led Tail Lamp rebuild