Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Audio Upgrade & Hands Free Calling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 11:44 AM
flaav8r is infamous around these parts
Audio Upgrade & Hands Free Calling

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently purchased a 2007 Continental GT and have a question concerning the Audio system and hands free calling. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the factory radio with an upgraded one that will have XM satellite capability and allow me to do Bluetooth (hands free) calling. Touch screen would also be nice but not mandatory. I spoke to my local Bentley dealer, but they were not much help. By the way, this is my first Bentley, so I am new to this line of vehicles.

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Old 09-20-2019, 12:26 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Yep. Search the forum for radio upgrades. It’s about 4 or 5 of us that has done this and more already. Click on my name and use either the post I made or started link with any topics about audio.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:34 AM
AJ1
AJ1 is infamous around these parts
Hi all,

My very 1st post on here. I purchased 1 month ago a 2008 GT-C from the one and only dealer in Queensland, Australia with only 28,000 klms Im in love with this car and cant get enough of it. I have a similar issue here with mine and Im told that the BenHur is the only option. Mine being the 2008 I believe had a few upgrades from previous years, therefore bluetooth connectivety to my iphone works perfectly. My issue is that I cant stream music from my iphone, Is there a workaround for this ? I have read some posts on here about various gadgets that plug in to the CD changer socket and im happy to trade that for wireless music stream from my iphone. Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:37 AM
So, looking around on eBay, I came across a few listings like this: What are your thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2011-BENTLEY-CONTINENTAL-KENWOOD-DDX9904S-2DIN-RADIO-KIT-PACKAGE/192432402788?fits=Year%3A2007%7CModel%3AContinenta l%7CMake%3ABentley&epid=2086175429&hash=item2ccddd 7164:g:CR0AAOSw1RVaYnkR

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-21-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
Thats the BenHur, where are you based ...
I'm in Palm Beach, Florida.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:56 AM
Lol ... ok your a little far, but its not a problem there are a couple of guys on the forum who have or are in the process of upgrading the audio system, theres a guy TeamJones he's in Indaina & a guy called British can't remember where he's located, I'm sure they can help you locate the Benhur unit, you need to source out a 7" head unit ie, Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer ...
You dont need to upgrade the speakers or the amp if you dont want to, as I mentioned its up to you how far you want to go with this ...
Yeah, I don't want to upgrade anything other than the head unit part. All I really want is to have hands free calling, Android Auto Capability, touch screen and I would like to have the XM satellite radio.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 AM
Rico, thank you very much. I will call the shop that is selling this unit and see if they have a head unit to go with it that meets my needs.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:49 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Good morning guys.
Flaav8r, I myself wouldn’t order that from EBay due to the fact the radio that they are selling with it is 3 yrs old. You can find a newer radio that’s more up to date. Getting that one you will have to update the firmware if they haven’t already and I’m sure they haven’t. You can find better on your own. I have the 9905s and just updated the firmware but I want the newer one that you can use a card with.

The hands free mic will need to be ran. I’m running mines to the drivers side of the overhead light panel where it looks like two little speakers.

We are here to help. I work a lot but if you ask a question I will try to get back to you ASAP but there are guy on here who are more then willing to help you out. As Rico said if you want XM you will have to add a antenna as I did. It’s not the best solution but with the way our glass is constructed, the signal may be spotty. I have mines on the front of my roof with Velcro that I’m shocked hasn’t came off. I was thinking of installing a Xmas antenna from a dodge that’s more flat then the shark fin look so it can look like the car came that way. I don’t think our cars came with xm till 08 and I read the factory antennas was bad also. Now I don’t even use xm even tho they just offered me 12 months for $4.99. I use Tidal, Pandora or Spotify and just stream.

A little tip if you haven’t done this already. When I first bought my BMW 750Li yrs ago, I was able to get xm free for a yr just by signing up online. They have since cut that out. But I haven’t paid over $35 every 6 months for years. I set my calendar to alert me a week before it expires and tell them to cut it off. 99% of the time they will try to keep you and ask how can they keep your business. I just say I will never pay regular price and if I can’t keep the deal I have cut it off. Usually you will get to keep it. But if you get that one person that says “ Ok. Sorry to see you go”, just wait it out, they will be sending you a “We miss you” email or post mail with the offer they could have given you in the first place or better.
At one time I had 4 cars all on at the same time till it hit me that I don’t spend that much time in none of my cars ��

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-21-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:55 AM
TJ if you going to do the mic for the infortainment system then go onto Page 9, MY FIRST MODS, I posted the install on there for a chap when I did mine ...

Just took a look. Exactly what I had in mind. But if it’s one there already, I just might play Frankenstein and see if I can just find the wires behind the radio and tap into them and see how good the factory mic holds up with my radio. If not then I’ll just go with the original plan of taking out the factory mic and installing mines.

Mr. Johnny HotSpur, if you see this thread, do you know where the wires terminate from for the factory overhead mic?

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 09-21-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:19 PM
AJ1
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hi all,

My very 1st post on here. I purchased 1 month ago a 2008 GT-C from the one and only dealer in Queensland, Australia with only 28,000 klms Im in love with this car and cant get enough of it. I have a similar issue here with mine and Im told that the BenHur is the only option. Mine being the 2008 I believe had a few upgrades from previous years, therefore bluetooth connectivety to my iphone works perfectly. My issue is that I cant stream music from my iphone, Is there a workaround for this ? I have read some posts on here about various gadgets that plug in to the CD changer socket and im happy to trade that for wireless music stream from my iphone. Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy.
ill get my coat then

Old 10-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by AJ1
ill get my coat then
Lol damn AJ1, by the time I get on here sometimes it’s 10 post down and I don’t scroll through them all....I apologize!

If you don’t want to change the radio, ppl have been using a streamer that plugs into the cigarette lighter and you have to dial it into a lower radio station. They seem to love it. Look up bluetooth on the board.

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 10-18-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM
AJ1
Originally Posted by TeamJones1962
Lol damn AJ1, by the time I get on here sometimes it’s 10 post down and I don’t scroll through the all....I apologize!

If you don’t want to change the radio, ppl have been using a streamer that plugs into the cigarette lighter and you have to dial it into a lower radio station. They seem to love it. Look up bluetooth on the board.
Yes, Ive tried those things and they compromise the sound quality to the extent of useless. So its BENHUR or nothing according to my local Audio shop.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by AJ1
Yes, Ive tried those things and they compromise the sound quality to the extent of useless. So its BENHUR or nothing according to my local Audio shop.
If your going to go with the Ben HUR from a shop, how much are they charging you for it? And what is their warranty on it? Although British problem was not normal, have them tap the power for the radio from the factory plug(I think it’s the green one) and not use the power the Ben HUR offers. Look up British post on his unit to get a better understanding of what I’m talking about.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:41 PM
AJ1
Local shop charging $4500 (Australian dollars) including the Kenwood head unit, however Ive decided against it. I prefer the quality look and feel of the original against the cheap looking benhur buttons. especially when all im trying to achieve is wireless music streaming from my iphone.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:44 PM
AJ1
"AJ1 Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting"
Why do I always get this message every time I post something and it takes about a day to complete ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audio Upgrade & Hands Free Calling