Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Egts 2004 Bentley continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 02:57 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of

That's what I'll do next time... bank 1, in particular. Just a thermo coupler. Easily spliced and will not affect the real time temperature reading.

Old 08-09-2024, 07:28 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @1eapplebaum ,
What are your thoughts on possible relocation of the bank one box, as I was reading the comments here by All, and thinking back, I recalled that another 6speed member had wrapped the box in a (IIRC) heat resistant tape, but still had another fault some time later, so wondering as to extending both the wiring for the 3 pin plug, and the 2 wires for the probe, this way, the circuit board box will no longer be mounted to heat soaked valve cover, maybe move the box to the cowl area for much lower temps.

I ask this, as to any issues with the length of the wiring, and the signal produced, as I personally would think it to be a non-issue, but want to be sure, I know that I have always read how one could not, or should not tap into or extend CAN-BUS wiring, as it would cause issues, but I have done that for years adding certain options into the CAN-BUS with no issue what so ever.

Johnny

Old 08-10-2024, 12:58 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @1eapplebaum ,
What are your thoughts on possible relocation of the bank one box, as I was reading the comments here by All, and thinking back, I recalled that another 6speed member had wrapped the box in a (IIRC) heat resistant tape, but still had another fault some time later, so wondering as to extending both the wiring for the 3 pin plug, and the 2 wires for the probe, this way, the circuit board box will no longer be mounted to heat soaked valve cover, maybe move the box to the cowl area for much lower temps.

I ask this, as to any issues with the length of the wiring, and the signal produced, as I personally would think it to be a non-issue, but want to be sure, I know that I have always read how one could not, or should not tap into or extend CAN-BUS wiring, as it would cause issues, but I have done that for years adding certain options into the CAN-BUS with no issue what so ever.

Johnny
Hi Johnny,
I was also thinking the same, however The egt probe is not resistance based. Its a thermocouple using 2 dissimilar metals producing a very small Voltage and not a resistance. I wonder if increasing the length might interfere with the very low voltage produced by the probe. Tha black box is in fact and amplifier taking mV to volts.
So not sure about relocation??

Old 08-10-2024, 09:12 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @1eapplebaum ,

Johnny
Hello Johnny,

Splicing a small length of high quality wire to all the lines should work. At the plug end of the CanBus side I would prefer to get the little pins inside the plug for the new wires. This way there is only one splice on the CanBus side to reduce any impedance. As to the thermocouple I doubt a little bit of wire will cause significant reporting issues.

Best regards.

E

Old 08-10-2024, 01:34 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Hello Johnny,

Splicing a small length of high quality wire to all the lines should work. At the plug end of the CanBus side I would prefer to get the little pins inside the plug for the new wires. This way there is only one splice on the CanBus side to reduce any impedance. As to the thermocouple I doubt a little bit of wire will cause significant reporting issues.

Best regards.

E
Looking at the mV chart ( link attached) I think the probes are very sensitive. I wonder if any extra resistance in longer wires might upset the voltage??
https://images.app.goo.gl/mMZ8N3xPmqA1dUNk6