Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2006 cfs warning lights, et. Al.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 04:27 PM
Barry DeWitt is infamous around these parts
2006 cfs warning lights, et. Al.

Have the big Spur in the body shop for some minor touch-ups, including blending in some minor scrapes on the lower bumper. Of course, without fail, The Body Shop guy is backed up and running behind. After the car sitting in his garage for 3 weeks I stopped by today to start it and to try to Spur him to get it done by next week.

First thing I noticed was the front end was sitting very low. Keep in mind the car has not been moved for close to a month. Is this normal?

Next thing, when I went to start the car first turn of the key... nothing! I thought the battery was dead. I close the door and turn the key again a moment later and she fired right up. It did Flash some type of low battery light but it only was on for a second or two and then went right off.

The next warning light that popped up was the car is too low do not drive. That also went off within 10 or 15 seconds as the shocks filled up with air. However, the traction control light came on and stayed on. Also suspension fault visit Workshop light came on.

I did not drive the car, only let it run for about 10 minutes to make sure battery doesn't go dead. At this point I can't wait to get it back next week. I know these cars sitting is not a good thing, especially without a trickle charger. I'm hoping after driving it and getting it going again these faults will clear? That possible or is there definitely an issue with the front struts? Also, what's up with the traction control light?

You guys are awesome, and your advice is always appreciated. I hope everyone had a terrific holiday and is having a great 2020!! -Barry

Last edited by Barry DeWitt; 01-06-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:37 PM
AJ1
AJ1 is infamous around these parts
Im sure, once youve taken it for a good run, and I dont mean 20 minutes., Itll be just fine. From now on, keep it on charge while youre not using it.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:38 PM
Samhain is infamous around these parts
Hi Barry - no it's not normal for the suspension to drop after sitting for three weeks (if ever). What happened after you started the car? Did the car rise fully and hold? Could be one or both air struts leaking, a leaking air line, or a broken level sensor. Prob unlikely IMO that the front suspension dropping would be electrical.

The electrical stuff is almost always a bad left-side battery. I've gone through 3 of them in the last two years in my Phaeton. That could generate the traction error that might go away after a short drive. You should get your guy to charge/maintain the left-side battery while he has it and see if that cures the issue.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:48 PM
Barry DeWitt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Samhain
Hi Barry - no it's not normal for the suspension to drop after sitting for three weeks (if ever). What happened after you started the car? Did the car rise fully and hold? Could be one or both air struts leaking, a leaking air line, or a broken level sensor. Prob unlikely IMO that the front suspension dropping would be electrical.

The electrical stuff is almost always a bad left-side battery. I've gone through 3 of them in the last two years in my Phaeton. That could generate the traction error that might go away after a short drive. You should get your guy to charge/maintain the left-side battery while he has it and see if that cures the issue.
Thanks for the reply. Once I started she aired up right away (maybe took 30 seconds or so). I also cycled back and forth between high mode and normal mode and she seemed to rise up and down fine. I'm guessing a slow leak? She was really slumping up front.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Samhain is infamous around these parts
Well if it came back up it's not the level sensor. So yeah prob a slow leak in one of the struts (if one fails in the front the whole front will drop). You may want to prepare to replace them - getting to be that time. I just did the 2 fronts on my 2005 Phaeton.

Drive it around a bunch like AJ says. I'm amazed at these cars' ability to heal themselves. You may need a new left-side battery if it keeps misbehaving and generating faults.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:55 PM
AJ1
AJ1 is infamous around these parts
Sounds to me like its a combination of a sick battery and youve probably had a tiny leak in the front for ages. As I said, charge it and use it.