Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley Continental GT 2005 - Rad fan issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 AM
Littlj01 is infamous around these parts
Bentley Continental GT 2005 - Rad fan issue

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on my current issue with FAN1 on my Conti GT. Car has had not issues for year now, then started the car the other day and after 5-7 seconds the radiator fan came on along with the engine management light. Engine was cold. Turned car off but the fan remained on all the time. The only way to stop the fan was to disconnect the battery for a couple of seconds. I'm driving the car but have to disconnect the battery once I arrive somewhere to shut the fan off.

On a basic OBD reader it reports P0691 Fan 1 Control Circuit Low. I have checked all the fuses but can't find the root cause. I have been looking for a radiator fan replay thinking it might be that but can't find one.

So my question is, is there a fan relay in a Conti GT or is the fans operation controlled from the management module on the fan housing? If there is no reply is the most likely cause of the problem the fan module and the solution to replace the fan and controller?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Littlj01
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on my current issue with FAN1 on my Conti GT. Car has had not issues for year now, then started the car the other day and after 5-7 seconds the radiator fan came on along with the engine management light. Engine was cold. Turned car off but the fan remained on all the time. The only way to stop the fan was to disconnect the battery for a couple of seconds. I'm driving the car but have to disconnect the battery once I arrive somewhere to shut the fan off.

On a basic OBD reader it reports P0691 Fan 1 Control Circuit Low. I have checked all the fuses but can't find the root cause. I have been looking for a radiator fan replay thinking it might be that but can't find one.

So my question is, is there a fan relay in a Conti GT or is the fans operation controlled from the management module on the fan housing? If there is no reply is the most likely cause of the problem the fan module and the solution to replace the fan and controller?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Hello J,
Here are the fuses for fans 1 & 2, located in the "E" fuse box under the hood/bonnet at the firewall.
Instead of disconnecting the batteries each time, pull the fuse.

Johnny.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Johnny, I have no idea what the owners on this board would do without you!

Old 01-13-2020, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by British
Johnny, I have no idea what the owners on this board would do without you!
Thank YOU British !
I try....

Old 01-14-2020, 12:10 AM
Johnny,

Many thanks for the quick response. It's a good idea to pull the fuse instead of the battery lead. Any idea if there is a a rad fan relay or is it all controlled in the fan motor module?

Many thanks
J

Old 01-14-2020, 09:20 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Is there an interlock on the bonnet catch .. stops the fan(s) for obvious reasons ?
In which case try just opening the bonnet should stop the fans , Then close it to see if they stay off ?

Old 01-14-2020, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Johnny,

Many thanks for the quick response. It's a good idea to pull the fuse instead of the battery lead. Any idea if there is a a rad fan relay or is it all controlled in the fan motor module?

Many thanks
J
Checking now, be back in a few.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Checking now, be back in a few.
I see no sign of any fan relays, so I believe it is as you stated, controlled by the fan control modules.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-14-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:02 AM
Thanks Johnny really appreciate your time and help. I will try the fuse today and see if that stops it. If I want to replace this fan 1 do i need to dismount the front of the car bumper radiators and come in from the front of the car or can the fan cowling be removed from within the engine bay?

Old 01-15-2020, 01:21 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Thanks Johnny really appreciate your time and help. I will try the fuse today and see if that stops it. If I want to replace this fan 1 do i need to dismount the front of the car bumper radiators and come in from the front of the car or can the fan cowling be removed from within the engine bay?

Just a bit of info for you.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:05 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Just to add yes the bumper had to come off and the radiator is moved forwards to its “ service “ position .
Swing it to one side while the pipes still connected to access the fan pack .Theres threads on this .
While in there , yup that famous phase Consider
1- changing the poly belt £120 , idler pulley £34 ,
2- Remove the alternator ( while belt is off ) and replace the water pipe 0 ring ....it’s a £3 part and WILL leak killing the alternator. Again google this .

Additionally my tech tells me they ( the rads ) all leak as the aluminium corrode s in the salty U.K. winters .This will need a close inspection now you can see behind they go at the bottom rear .
So bite the bullet and replace the rad itself ....you swop over any useable fan pack btw .New rads with pipe pack £700 + vat

post some pics of the bottom rear and under the alternator and the belt when it’s in “ service “ mode .

Old 01-15-2020, 02:17 AM
Thanks John. Really good advise. I will look at these things, well worth doing if you have the front of the car off. Appreciate your feed back.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:31 PM
neiloakley is infamous around these parts
It was me that originally posted the problem, and never really solved the issue but where i gave up was the twin-wire can bus circuit was down to one wire at some point (most likely around a door module) and that was causing other circuits to wake up, somehow causing the fan to trip in well after it had sat down (odd i know, but the logic did make sense at the time).

Anyway, issue hasn't reoccurred for a while - maybe because it's winter. I'll worry about it if it comes back again.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ar-locked.html

Old 01-21-2020, 01:16 AM
Neil,

Thanks for the link to your post. I've read it and it sounds like a nightmare. I'm going to replace my FAN1 motor and module and additional parts as recommended by John. If that fails to fix the fault then I will dig deeper. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:02 AM
neiloakley is infamous around these parts
Condiser using VW Phaeton parts, same fans and modules but a fraction of the price.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Bentley Continental GT 2005 - Rad fan issue