Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2003 Bentley Arnage key / alarm problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Al Abbasi is infamous around these parts
2003 Bentley Arnage key / alarm problem

All, I picked up a 2003 Arnage T at auction in Californiway that was said to run and drive. Driver indicated that the car would not start when he picked it up and the auction forked into the trailer. No problem, sometimes they sit and batteries go dead.

When I got it here to Texas, I replaced the batteries but when I tried starting it, it would not start indicating throttle control warning on the dash. The remote keyfob was unresponsive so i tried locking and unlocking the car which set the alarm off and now it won't go off. It also appears to be a valet key as the key fob does not unlock the trunk or glove box.

I suspect the issue is either with the key fob or the alarm system but on calling the dealer, they said that they no longer provide keys for this car so i am SOL there.

Anyone understand how these alarm systems work or whether I can bypass them?

Old 10-10-2020, 09:51 AM
drswami is infamous around these parts
Did you get it fixed ? if not you can try downloading the BMW diagnostic program for those years (prior to audi) and see if it will not work . I have also simply pulled the various fuses (main in trunk ) let it sit then reboot . IF you open the door with the key and start the car within 30 seconds it should also bypass and reset.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:01 AM
Not quite, I ordered a key from the dealership and was able to code it to the immobilizer with my Autel. I could not do anything about the alarm system which is bespoke so I ended up buying a Bentley assist diagnostic scanner but even that won't talk to the alarm module. I'm going to try to do a full system reset to see if it helps. The engine will start for now but the alarm still goes off.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:27 AM
if it silences after a few moments you can try locking it with with the key if not in the door then try the trunk . If that shuts it off then open the door with the key and start the engine within 30 seconds . Sometimes you need to repeat a few times . you might also yank the fuse for awhile drive it , shut it down , refit the fuse wait for it to quiet then try the above.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:37 AM
Thanks, I've tried just about every permutation and combination of methods to disarm the alarm. I had to go into the wiring harness and disable the dead locks so that I could get into the car. The battery has been disconnected for about a month while I had the interior apart (replacing seat belt pretensioners and side curtain airbag). I'm hoping that whatever memory was in the system is gone by now. It's very frustrating.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Yeah these alarms are less than dependable . even the later ones are full of glitches . I ended up putting in a piggyback system in my 2005 and now for some reason both systems work . All I can figure is that the sensor input into the controller has to be very specific and any corrosion related resistance screws the system .

Old 10-10-2020, 01:31 PM
If i can figure out a way to bypass the alarm module, I'd be happy. I'm having the same problem with my 98 Brooklands and it's more integrated. the alarm module on that also houses the immobilizer, interior light delay and routes power to the ecu and fuel pump. Again, my omiscan scanner cannot get into the system.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:57 PM
I have the Volkswagon Audi program and I am able to access some modules but not that one . Sorry.

Old 03-01-2022, 07:29 PM
euronoah is infamous around these parts
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2002 Arnage T with the exact same issue. It won’t start (it will crank), I have the Throttle Control error, and whenever I try to lock/unlock with the fob, the alarm goes off. How did you program it to get it to start? I’ve been fighting with this issue for a couple days now and it’s driving me crazy!