Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Taking out the door latch. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 04:59 PM
rich9911 is infamous around these parts
Taking out the door latch. Any tips?

I want to check out the power door latch on the drivers door. The power soft close isn't working and the door controller is reporting that the door handle switch is short to ground (F272 on C00474). On VCDS the door switch is showing active all the time. I believe this might be why the windows sometime shuffle on their own as if the door was being opened.

I have read the IETIS on this particular rabbit hole! Looks like a very long winded task requiring a lot of dissassembly of the door and its internals.

I've had a dry run today and took off the door panel (those body clips are a work of art!) and got the inner panel loose too. Everything looked clean and tidy and dry but I did notice a cable (electrical) was tight across the bowden to the latch from the interior door handle. The bowden must have been assembled on the wrong side of the wire.

My understanding is that I need to take the latch driver off, the window driver off, inner panel off, the door lock off, door handle off and then I can get the latch out.

The proceedure for putting the door handle and lock back together sees complex, requiring the lock to be pre-loaded and the link cable to be set just right?

Anyone with experience of getting this lot apart and more importantly, back together? And gotcha's or tips?

I am hoping that the door switch fault is just a broken microswitch. This may also explain why the door closer isn't working...

I see that a new power latch is £200+ and the driver is another £225+ so I really hope it is just a microswitch.

Interesting that if you google 3D2837016, you get the bog standard VW door latch (unpowered) for £20! I wonder how similar they are? They look identical physically with the exception of a plastic carrier for a connector. Might be worth getting one if it has the same microswitches in? The power close driver just operates the standard latch via a bowden I think?

Cheers!

Old 02-21-2020, 07:07 AM
W. M. Hellinger is infamous around these parts
I've only been as deep as changing the window regulator in a GT door... and I'm quite interest (will stay tuned to this thread) in what's involved with the soft-close door stuff re the outside door handle as I'm fixing to get into that someday with my 07 GT driver's door to fix it's intermittent soft-close function. And yes, I agree, the door panel body clips are a work of art. I needed to replace some broken ones when I changed that window regulator... as I recall I sourced a packet of Autex #143263 that are direct replacements.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:53 AM
broncoupe is infamous around these parts
looks a complete PIA so guess what i have todo this job on a 2013 GTC will post when done

Old 02-21-2020, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by broncoupe
looks a complete PIA so guess what i have todo this job on a 2013 GTC will post when done
Yes, its a 'non trivial' task thats for sure. Not difficult, just several layers of stuff to remove before you get to the latch.

I was slightly demused by the sound deadening material. Almost like cotton wool.

Oh and the mechanism for the door pocket is just bonkers... shame it doesn't really damp the action any more....

Last edited by rich9911; 02-21-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:37 PM
W. M. Hellinger is infamous around these parts
Rich: There's a removable rubber plug with what looks like a "lock symbol" embossed on it, located on the door a bit above the latch mechanism. I'm guessing at this point you're deep enough into the guts of the door to see on the inside what that plug might gain access to? Like possibly a fine adjustment for the soft close feature? eh?

And I'll pass something on that may be useful, although totally unrelated to your dancing window project. It was a super nice day here for Feb, and you've inspired me to get to some nit-picky details on my 07 GT that I've been waiting for such a nice day to get to... so I pulled the vehicle out into the sun and changed my wiper blades and learned something in the process: So there's a "service function" for the wipers that parks the wiper blades at the other end of their stroke from the regular "down" parked position... for easy access to change the blades. Cool feature, but I'll caution: The key must be on (I had the vehicle running) to put the wipers in the service position... but don't turn the key off with the blades in the service position and the wiper blade arm flipped up/away from the windshield... because when you turn the key off, the wiper blades will go back to their parked position... and with the arm flipped up, when it tries to go back town to the park position, it mashes into the trailing end of the hood.

Last edited by W. M. Hellinger; 02-21-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
Rich: There's a removable rubber plug with what looks like a "lock symbol" embossed on it, located on the door a bit above the latch mechanism. I'm guessing at this point you're deep enough into the guts of the door to see on the inside what that plug might gain access to? Like possibly a fine adjustment for the soft close feature? eh?

And I'll pass something on that may be useful, although totally unrelated to your dancing window project. It was a super nice day here for Feb, and you've inspired me to get to some nit-picky details on my 07 GT that I've been waiting for such a nice day to get to... so I pulled the vehicle out into the sun and changed my wiper blades and learned something in the process: So there's a "service function" for the wipers that parks the wiper blades at the other end of their stroke from the regular "down" parked position... for easy access to change the blades. Cool feature, but I'll caution: The key must be on (I had the vehicle running) to put the wipers in the service position... but don't turn the key off with the blades in the service position and the wiper blade arm flipped up/away from the windshield... because when you turn the key off, the wiper blades will go back to their parked position... and with the arm flipped up, when it tries to go back town to the park position, it mashes into the trailing end of the hood.
Thanks WMH, yes I use the service mode on the wipers. I have noticed that the car ignores that sometimes...

So the lock bung is a mystery then? It seems to have a key sized slot in it. I wonder if its a way to reset a latch without taking the door apart. I've not got the latch out yet, but when I do, I will certainly see what that bung is for.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:59 AM
neiloakley is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rich9911
Thanks WMH, yes I use the service mode on the wipers. I have noticed that the car ignores that sometimes...

So the lock bung is a mystery then? It seems to have a key sized slot in it. I wonder if its a way to reset a latch without taking the door apart. I've not got the latch out yet, but when I do, I will certainly see what that bung is for.
if I remember rightly, that bung covers a piece that you need access to when reinstalling the lock relating to the pre-tensioning spring thingy. When you get back to putting it all together, it will make sense.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:44 AM
broncoupe is infamous around these parts
That bung didnt seem to do anything
Straight forward job todo just a bit of patience required the only irritating things i found was
1- you need to release the outer door handle lock which was very stiff to pull out after releasing hidden screw on door frame
Do not force screw out when it stops turning - lock should remove - on refit hit lock with palm of your hand to make sure its located
Tighten screw but dont over tighten
2- rotate the lock mechanism to remove around the window frame when refitting rotate again and pull metal gently to help clearance
3- Before you start make sure window is up
4-When you undo screws for window motor The glass will remain in place
5-Remember to cable tie the wiring near the lock other wise window glass will catch it when window lowers
6-At the front of the window switch panel there is a small piece of trim to remove prise it off from under the door pull
7- Hidden screws behind door handle X3
8- Allow a couple of hours

Old 03-11-2020, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by broncoupe
That bung didnt seem to do anything
Straight forward job todo just a bit of patience required the only irritating things i found was
1- you need to release the outer door handle lock which was very stiff to pull out after releasing hidden screw on door frame
Do not force screw out when it stops turning - lock should remove - on refit hit lock with palm of your hand to make sure its located
Tighten screw but dont over tighten
2- rotate the lock mechanism to remove around the window frame when refitting rotate again and pull metal gently to help clearance
3- Before you start make sure window is up
4-When you undo screws for window motor The glass will remain in place
5-Remember to cable tie the wiring near the lock other wise window glass will catch it when window lowers
6-At the front of the window switch panel there is a small piece of trim to remove prise it off from under the door pull
7- Hidden screws behind door handle X3
8- Allow a couple of hours
Thanks for the tips!

Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Well my door seems to have fixed itself... Auto close works fine now.

I did take the door card off and found a cable that was routed wrongly around one of control cables making it very taught. So that may have been the issue.

The windows were also shuffling up and down and that's stopped too!

Too bad I can drive it anywhere other than to the supermarket...