Bentley GT strange fault and noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2020 | 02:34 AM
|
Shaqovic is infamous around these parts
Bentley GT strange fault and noise

Hello there guys,

I am back after I installed the alternator from Johnny Hotspur GT, The car it self now i drivable but this strange tree kinda sign came on the dash, and the dash isn't broken or cracked !!!

Also I have included a youtube video of the noise coming from the engine.

Hope to receive some help here.

Old 02-25-2020 | 03:43 AM
rich9911 is infamous around these parts
Looks like a

Lichtenberg figure

High voltage has somehow got into the LCD on the dash? Did it grow or just appear?
Could be caused by static discharge into the LCD?

Old 02-25-2020 | 01:47 PM
|
Originally Posted by rich9911
Looks like a

Lichtenberg figure

High voltage has somehow got into the LCD on the dash? Did it grow or just appear?
Could be caused by static discharge into the LCD?
Thanks for the reply, I guess it has remained the same so far :|
I had to google Lichtenberg figure and it's guess the car got shocked by a thunder or somethin

Any Idea how to fix it or a lead to follow ?

Old 02-25-2020 | 03:08 PM
rich9911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Shaqovic
Thanks for the reply, I guess it has remained the same so far :|
I had to google Lichtenberg figure and it's guess the car got shocked by a thunder or somethin

Any Idea how to fix it or a lead to follow ?
I can only think that if that is inside the screen, then its new instrument cluster time... It doesn't seem to have stopped the screen working or lose pixels though, so maybe it's just the glass?

Never seen anything like it, apart from high voltage patterns!

Old 02-26-2020 | 08:48 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
I have seen fungus that looks just like that on some old camera lenses from the 70s. Have also seen water frozen that way on some surfaces.

Cool fractal design though!

Old 02-26-2020 | 09:24 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
I am refunding the money for the alternator, I am not happy about it as it was a tested and in proper working order unit when shipped, something killed the OP's original alternator, and now the one I sent him, he said it was charging and the vehicle was operable after the install, and a video showed the battery light on during bulb check at startup, then go out while running, as it should, now the vehicle I am told is not running, he did say he had a noise after the install of the alternator, but a video taken at the top of the intake does not pinpoint the alternator as the point of the noise, the alternator made no noise at all during bench test, and it put out between 13.5 and 14.1 volts during said testing.

A picture of the artwork nature made on my B.

Johnny

Old 03-11-2020 | 06:17 AM
|
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
I am refunding the money for the alternator, I am not happy about it as it was a tested and in proper working order unit when shipped, something killed the OP's original alternator, and now the one I sent him, he said it was charging and the vehicle was operable after the install, and a video showed the battery light on during bulb check at startup, then go out while running, as it should, now the vehicle I am told is not running, he did say he had a noise after the install of the alternator, but a video taken at the top of the intake does not pinpoint the alternator as the point of the noise, the alternator made no noise at all during bench test, and it put out between 13.5 and 14.1 volts during said testing.

A picture of the artwork nature made on my B.

Johnny

I Confirm receiving the refund and also I have provided you with videos showing noises as discussed, The car started with scratching/whining noise immediately after this alternator was installed and for 2-3 days noise was very loud and then it died, unfortunately I have to look now for an alternator as the PSH alternator is sold out, perhaps someone in the united states bought it !!

Again sorry for the inconvenience I have also wasted a lot of time and money in this.

Old 03-11-2020 | 10:13 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shaqovic
I Confirm receiving the refund and also I have provided you with videos showing noises as discussed, The car started with scratching/whining noise immediately after this alternator was installed and for 2-3 days noise was very loud and then it died, unfortunately I have to look now for an alternator as the PSH alternator is sold out, perhaps someone in the united states bought it !!

Again sorry for the inconvenience I have also wasted a lot of time and money in this.
Hello Abdusalam,
I am too sorry for you wasted time and money, BUT I have great concern that you have other issues that are causing the alternators failures, as I have said, the unit I sent you was bench tested and was all in working order, it supplied the proper voltage and had no adverse sounds at all during the test, I do have another unit on a 2004 engine from Canada by way of Florida as a salvage vehicle , carfax and autocheck show the vehicle at 46710 KM or 29024 miles, but I would need time to remove the alternator and bring it to the electrical shop for testing, this time I will video the test to share with you, it would be the same amount as before being you have the belt, let me know.

Now what really concerns me is the message on whats app, and please do not take offense, but you wrote that you would now have to "again pay $450 labor and new batteries", you won't need new batteries if they are already new, just a recharge, yet the video you sent me shows the battery light on with key in the on position, yet when you crank it over and it starts, the battery light goes out, I only mention this because that video shows it working as it should, now to my concern, and please again I mean not to offend, I believe you meant $450 just for the labor, and not the batteries, and if you only paid $450 labor to have a shop install the alternator in a Bentley GT, I have concern of the shops knowledge and workmanship, as I believe that "Tree Branch" high voltage fault on your center display is a result of a short, bad module, or the work done during the installation, like being sure both batteries where disconnected during such work, I just don't see how a perfectly working alternator as it was when shipped would make noise and fail to charge after so many days of driving, just my thoughts.

Johnny

Old Yesterday | 08:06 PM
virtual_law is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello Abdusalam,
I am too sorry for you wasted time and money, BUT I have great concern that you have other issues that are causing the alternators failures, as I have said, the unit I sent you was bench tested and was all in working order, it supplied the proper voltage and had no adverse sounds at all during the test, I do have another unit on a 2004 engine from Canada by way of Florida as a salvage vehicle , carfax and autocheck show the vehicle at 46710 KM or 29024 miles, but I would need time to remove the alternator and bring it to the electrical shop for testing, this time I will video the test to share with you, it would be the same amount as before being you have the belt, let me know.

Now what really concerns me is the message on whats app, and please do not take offense, but you wrote that you would now have to "again pay $450 labor and new batteries", you won't need new batteries if they are already new, just a recharge, yet the video you sent me shows the battery light on with key in the on position, yet when you crank it over and it starts, the battery light goes out, I only mention this because that video shows it working as it should, now to my concern, and please again I mean not to offend, I believe you meant $450 just for the labor, and not the batteries, and if you only paid $450 labor to have a shop install the alternator in a Bentley GT, I have concern of the shops knowledge and workmanship, as I believe that "Tree Branch" high voltage fault on your center display is a result of a short, bad module, or the work done during the installation, like being sure both batteries where disconnected during such work, I just don't see how a perfectly working alternator as it was when shipped would make noise and fail to charge after so many days of driving, just my thoughts.

Johnny

I know this thread is 4 years old, but was just reading through alternator threads (to determine if the replaced one on mine is bad), and wanted to add my experience with diagnosis.
My alternator was replaced. Sometime after, I noticed the snowflakes on my instrument cluster LCD too. The same has happened to my Satnav screen. So it does seem like some 'accepted' work method is being used across cheap shops (Ill admit my indy isnt the most fancy or knowledgable) that our aged LCDs dont take to very well.
Anyhoo, the fix for the instrument cluster LCD is a replacement from a salvage unit. Phaeton clusters are usually the best value on ebay and the LCD can be swapped. AliExpress also has replacmeent LCDs, part number 3W0920852A
Now, with replaced alternator, the car would start but after a few mins electronics would start shutting off one by one and the car eventually would die also. The workshop said the replaced alternator is bad or "weak".
So I dug in hard and spent two weeks measuring voltages.
I discovered that the left big battery wasnt charging. It was a faulty battery ECU (located behind the left battery). Replaced that and it started receiving a charge and car became normal, no more consumer electronic shut off mid-drive.
Hence, if anyone reading this is diagnosing, dont be quick to fault the alternator.
However, my voltage on the left side battery hovers between 12.0-12.6v. My right side battery does 13.4 to 13.7v. Left battery is Varta and fairly new.
So my question now is, what could be causing left side battery to NOT go above 13v when idling? Is the battery relay a possible concern maybe? How do I test alternator output via scanner?

​​​​

​​
​​​

Old Today | 11:30 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
Hi,
I have the same - left-side battery on idle is 12.5. When it is charged by alternator voltage goes to 13.6.

Old Today | 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by sazam
Hi,
I have the same - left-side battery on idle is 12.5. When it is charged by alternator voltage goes to 13.6.
My left side battery never reaches 13v even after a spirited drive. Do you see 13.6v while idling?

Old Today | 11:40 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
no, 13.6 is only when my car is running - so alternator charges.
when i turn car off, then the voltage very fast will go to range 12.5-12.6

Old Today | 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by sazam
no, 13.6 is only when my car is running - so alternator charges.
when i turn car off, then the voltage very fast will go to range 12.5-12.6
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. My alternator seems unable to supply enough juice to the left side battery to reach 13v or above. What year is your car?

Old Today | 03:41 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by virtual_law
I know this thread is 4 years old, but was just reading through alternator threads (to determine if the replaced one on mine is bad), and wanted to add my experience with diagnosis.
My alternator was replaced. Sometime after, I noticed the snowflakes on my instrument cluster LCD too. The same has happened to my Satnav screen. So it does seem like some 'accepted' work method is being used across cheap shops (Ill admit my indy isnt the most fancy or knowledgable) that our aged LCDs dont take to very well.
Anyhoo, the fix for the instrument cluster LCD is a replacement from a salvage unit. Phaeton clusters are usually the best value on ebay and the LCD can be swapped. AliExpress also has replacmeent LCDs, part number 3W0920852A
Now, with replaced alternator, the car would start but after a few mins electronics would start shutting off one by one and the car eventually would die also. The workshop said the replaced alternator is bad or "weak".
So I dug in hard and spent two weeks measuring voltages.
I discovered that the left big battery wasnt charging. It was a faulty battery ECU (located behind the left battery). Replaced that and it started receiving a charge and car became normal, no more consumer electronic shut off mid-drive.
Hence, if anyone reading this is diagnosing, dont be quick to fault the alternator.
However, my voltage on the left side battery hovers between 12.0-12.6v. My right side battery does 13.4 to 13.7v. Left battery is Varta and fairly new.
So my question now is, what could be causing left side battery to NOT go above 13v when idling? Is the battery relay a possible concern maybe? How do I test alternator output via scanner?

​​​​

​​
​​​
Although the battery in theory is good, a load test is recommended. This is to ensure that the previous problems didn't ruin the house battery. Than we can proceed from there. As to VCDS alternator monitoring. A search on line referring to "VCDS alternator output monitoring" will enable you to see the Alt. output.

A bad battery can ruin an alternator. The alternator will over work trying to charge a defective battery

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; Today at 03:49 PM.