Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Solar charger Bentley GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 03:05 PM
kongolo is infamous around these parts
Solar charger Bentley GT

Does anyone have any advice on connecting a solar trickle charger to a Bentley GT 2007?
I don’t have a garage and now with the lockdown in place here In the UK I can’t imagine I’ll drive a lot in the next few weeks. Stay safe!

Old 03-23-2020, 05:49 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
I use one @ airports .
Open the ski flap to pass the wire from the LHS bat .
Park with the rear window facing S and place the panel on the rear parcel shelf propped up a bit by a head rest .

The thing will come with two crock clips and two proper batt connectors .
The connector s are the same plug as my home trickle charger ......so it’s plug and play for me .

Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Thanks John. Will any charger do? Does it charge both batteries at the same time?

Old 03-25-2020, 03:29 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kongolo
Thanks John. Will any charger do? Does it charge both batteries at the same time?
Just the RHS the ‘ domestic “ as it powers everything in all the engine management stuff as well as benign parasitic stuff like the alarm , sear / window , radio memories + much more .
the RHS bat just only turns the starter motor period .So is hardly used and hardly drains .
Once fired up the LHS runs the engine + every other consumer .
There is a get out of jail card a cross over switch ( just like a boat btw -with the same dedicated starter batts + “ domestic “ ) .With the Bentley use the key and turn it to the L first to energise the x over relay then over to the R in the normal way .If you do that it’s actually the LHS that’s crossed over to power the starter motor .So zero need to trickle the smaller RHS .

The pic below shows the OEM + ve and - ve wires from the plug in the trunk / boot side wall ....they just go to the LHS bat

.2 nd pic my own trickle charger connections - easy to do .Note the in-line fuse that comes with it ,

3rd pic the size of the solar charger ....it’s day job is topping up the ride on , but I take with me in the Bentley for extended car park ...airports mainly use .

4 th pic the spec ......it was iirc £30 or less from E bay .
You see I suspect central locking issues + much more if you risk leaving it at an airport for 2 weeks , it’s not the kinda hassle you want after a long day ? Airport car park guys as well as recovery guys can boost battery issue cars but again there’s so much stuff to blow on theses , ECU s for everything and nothing is a 2 cent fix on theses .As said I connect up the solar and stick it in a sunny window inside .

Old 03-25-2020, 03:59 AM
Thank you very much for the pics. Will give it a shot.
I see your charger states 17.5 V / 21 V. Is the battery itself 12V or higher?

Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 AM
It’s designed for 12 v batts , all chargers run a higher V in .The crucial number is the W , and with this it’s sunlight dependent.So @ night there’s nothing going in until sun up . Or on a cloudy day a lot less .
I can’t see this overcharging a 160 Ah bat ( or what ever the LHS is ? ) considering as said the parasitic drain of all the silent stuff when you lock it and walk away .

The ride on has a tiny 12 v batt to run a 18 Hp 450 cc single cylinder, in comparison and it’s shows zero detriment to basically permanently connected .
so I can’t see this solar panel causing any damage to a huge Bentley LHS batt .

But a can see hassle and expense coming down the tracks if the LHS batts left to drop below a certain V , and a guy ( with good intentions) screws up a jump start .

Old 03-30-2020, 10:06 AM
Thanks makes sense! Going to order one and give it a try.