Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley air suspension restart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 01:37 PM
Recher123321 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sazam
1. what measuring blocks you check to confirm the preassure? would like to make sure we are on the same page with checking the preasure in the tank, absorbers etc.
2. trying to understand you - you say "when i use vcds push air to front or rear" - this is interesting - the output tests are sequential so you can not force to pump front or rear as you wish, it goes thru sequence. what you are doing actually?
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
@Recher123321 ,
Ok, thank you for clearing that up, 16 bar at the accumulator is great !

It certainly appears to me that you have a leak, as the compressor fills the accumulator to 16 bar, and the accumulator will not be involved in filling or maintaining pressure in all of the struts unless the pressure between the accumulator and each strut is within 3 bars, the sound of air you hear on the left front is no good, no air vents from any of the struts ever, the air vents for lowering of the vehicle at the rear of the vehicle on the compressor valve block assembly and it's exhaust solenoid.

You have a leak, that is why the vehicle will not raise up, on the compressor keeps overheating.

Which front strut did you replace ?

Johnny
I replace both 2 front air suspension,thay are new, I try use vcds charging front air suspension only have 7.16 bar and with noise,when I charging rear suspension it have 7.8 bar,and the rear suspension won’t up also,
But I didn't even touch the rear suspensions,Is there a solenoid valve on the suspension that controls the intake air?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DCD6E5C1-F0C3-47C3-9E66-60C82813F416.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	544995  
Old 06-08-2023, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@Recher123321 ,
What brand are the front struts, do you have a video of the leak, I assume so, as your picture with the red outline has a play symbol, please post video to you tube and share link.

Yes, the vehicle has the valve block as I previously stated, mounted on the compressor assembly, this valve block has all the solenoids/pistons built in, all the air to and from each strut is done at the valve block.

But if you have that severe of a leak up front, it will affect the rear in a way, I would also suggest doing the soapy water test on each strut to test for leaks.

Below is from the Audi A8L self study 292, the Bentley GT/FS is the same system, just with the components mounted in a different location.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-08-2023, 02:05 PM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
@Johnny Hotspur GT

"unless the pressure between the accumulator and each strut is within 3 bars of each other"

for my knowledge and understanding - you mean the difference? theory scenario - if in the strut has 3 bars and tank has 6bars, it will release the air from tank to fill the strut to get 4.5 in strut and 4.5 in tank?

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:50 PM
@Recher123321 ,
What brand are the front struts, do you have a video of the leak, I assume so, as your picture with the red outline has a play symbol, please post video to you tube and share link.

Yes, the vehicle has the valve block as I previously stated, mounted on the compressor assembly, this valve block has all the solenoids/pistons built in, all the air to and from each strut is done at the valve block.

But if you have that severe of a leak up front, it will affect the rear in a way, I would also suggest doing the soapy water test on each strut to test for leaks.

Below is from the Audi A8L self study 292, the Bentley GT/FS is the same system, just with the components mounted in a different location.

Johnny

I maybe can sure front right suspension is leak, but it’s new, I tried to switch the lines right and left in front of the distributing valve but to no avail, I think it's like an electric current that doesn't flow through a place of pressure, So that explains why the shock absorber on the left doesn't go up, I am very frustrated now, I replaced the first two shock absorbers, they are from the same manufacturer, why is the right one broken and the left one not, I'll try to buy another used one.

https://youtube.com/shorts/pGayVqvU0uQ?feature=share

here is vedio link.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Link
Old 06-08-2023, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@Recher123321 ,
I know it is getting late for you, 11:30 PM I believe, but to put your mind at ease somewhat, you would not be the first member here who received a brand new faulty unit, I will post pictures below from a fellow member who had the same, that is why we always try to talk about which brand is purchased, but some don't follow up with the information...

As to the strut in your video, right off the bat it is missing the upper ring to secure the dust cover / boot in place, but that is not the cause of the leak, the leak is most likely the bladder leaking up inside the cylinder housing, or up top under the bonnet, see picture of bubbles on the upper portion of a brand new strut from a fellow member.

This may be a defective unit, a returned and resold unit, or just a poorly made item, so a question would be, did you take the upper ring off, or was it missing when you received it ?

Let's not get started on if the struts you purchased retain the factory designed oem variable active dampening valve inside the strut itself, or are they the aftermarket type with a fixed dampening valve with a resistor inside the strut to fool the suspension control module... but that is another matter.

Let's talk tomorrow with a fresh head, unless you are staying up tonight and want to continue.

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION, THE LEAKING STRUT IN THE PICTURES, IS NOT AN AEROSUS.

You should spray each strut with soapy water top (under bonnet) and at top and bottom of the rubber dust cover/boot you pulled back in the video, then send to pictures of the bubbles to the seller to demand a replacement.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:19 PM
2005flying supr

@Recher123321 ,
I know it is getting late for you, 11:30 PM I believe, but to put your mind at ease somewhat, you would not be the first member here who received a brand new faulty unit, I will post pictures below from a fellow member who had the same, that is why we always try to talk about which brand is purchased, but some don't follow up with the information...

As to the strut in your video, right off the bat it is missing the upper ring to secure the dust cover / boot in place, but that is not the cause of the leak, the leak is most likely the bladder leaking up inside the cylinder housing, or up top under the bonnet, see picture of bubbles on the upper portion of a brand new strut from a fellow member.

This may be a defective unit, a returned and resold unit, or just a poorly made item, so a question would be, did you take the upper ring off, or was it missing when you received it ?

Let's not get started on if the struts you purchased retain the factory designed oem variable active dampening valve inside the strut itself, or are they the aftermarket type with a fixed dampening valve with a resistor inside the strut to fool the suspension control module... but that is another matter.

Let's talk tomorrow with a fresh head, unless you are staying up tonight and want to continue.

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION, THE LEAKING STRUT IN THE PICTURES, IS NOT AN AEROSUS.

You should spray each strut with soapy water top (under bonnet) and at top and bottom of the rubber dust cover/boot you pulled back in the video, then send to pictures of the bubbles to the seller to demand a replacement.

Johnny

Hi
thanks for your help
When I received it, the fixing ring of the dust jacket was loosened, which I did not care about. I thought it might be loosened because of transportation and did not care about it,I have taken my car to two garages and they promised to fix it when they received it, but after a few months they told me there was nothing they could do, they had charged me £4,000 to replace the shock absorber and compressor, and then they dumped the car on me and I had to start all over again. I learned by myself what is vcds,what is a steering Angle sensor, what is canbus and what is the working principle of compressor and pneumatic shock absorber. I tried to contact the seller, but they did not reply to me. I don't know whether I can successfully change to a new one.I was saw an ebay seller near London who was selling a used original shock absorber, and I looked at the address, and I was pretty sure that what was supposed to be my accessory had been replaced by the garage, and I was trying to have a conversation, and I could learn how to fix a car, but I couldn't learn how to fix the bad heart of a person😮‍💨😮‍💨😮‍💨
The two new pneumatic bumpers I bought are not quite the same as my original ones, they seem to be very short, and when I jack up the car, they are still very short, and when I jack up my previous original bumpers, they will be pulled very long

Last edited by Recher123321; 06-08-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:14 PM
Administrator
@Recher123321 ,
What brand are the new struts, that really is disgusting that a shop charged you £4000 / $5000 for what appears to be aftermarket struts... or are you saying that you personally purchased the struts and the compressor, then the shop charged you £4000 just for labor ?

As I read your latest comments as to the struts being shorter, I wonder if that is the cause of the leakage on the new bags, if the struts are to short to raise to the proper height, and the level sensors up front are still calling for more air to lift, did it over inflate them causing a leak, 16 bar is 232 psi, just a thought.

Another person had new struts that were too long, but not really, they wouldn't collapse at all to become the proper length to install, even with the suspension hanging down, as I recall, he said the struts were stuck, an exchange solved his issue iirc, do your struts have any movement ?

Can you post the link for the struts, or the brand, seller, and part number please ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:27 PM
@Recher123321 ,
What brand are the new struts, that really is disgusting that a shop charged you £4000 / $5000 for what appears to be aftermarket struts... or are you saying that you personally purchased the struts and the compressor, then the shop charged you £4000 just for labor ?

As I read your latest comments as to the struts being shorter, I wonder if that is the cause of the leakage on the new bags, if the struts are to short to raise to the proper height, and the level sensors up front are still calling for more air to lift, did it over inflate them causing a leak, 16 bar is 232 psi, just a thought.

Another person had new struts that were too long, but not really, they wouldn't collapse at all to become the proper length to install, even with the suspension hanging down, as I recall, he said the struts were stuck, an exchange solved his issue iirc, do your struts have any movement ?

Can you post the link for the struts, or the brand, seller, and part number please ?

Johnny
4000 Just for labor,if I don’t give them money they won’t give me my car key,I even try called police.
Is there a chance that the prop will get stuck because the left and right sides are short, and should I try to stand on top of the prop to try to pull it apart.that’s fully jacked up picture

Old 06-08-2023, 06:36 PM
Administrator
@Recher123321 ,
That is just about normal riding height, and you have the tire off the ground, correct ?

When you let it down, how far up into.the wheel well does the tire go ?

Is the suspension just stiff ?

What happens is you put both feet in the wheel slots and stand on it, rotate the wheel to get the schrader valve out of the way.

Please give the the brand and part number so I can double check fitment .

Johnny

Old 06-08-2023, 06:44 PM
@Recher123321 ,
That is just about normal riding height, and you have the tire off the ground, correct ?

When you let it down, how far up into.the wheel well does the tire go ?

Is the suspension just stiff ?

What happens is you put both feet in the wheel slots and stand on it, rotate the wheel to get the schrader valve out of the way.

Please give the the brand and part number so I can double check fitment .

Johnny
I will try tomorrow morning,When I put it down, the car will sit completely on the tires,I'll find the part number on the strut tomorrow and send it to you,I found a pic that when I bought it.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:57 PM
Administrator
@Recher123321 ,
Wait a minute, if the two struts in the boxes is what you ordered, then you ordered OEM Factory Bentley struts, as the "Bentley" label shows, yet your video doesn't look the same as to the finish on the aluminum cylinder, I surely hope that each strut has the Bentley label still on each.

I will search for issues with struts being to short, is it possible that they are locked somehow to be partially collapsed for shipping.

Let me ask around.

That part number in the morning would be great.

Get some sleep.

Johnny

Old 06-08-2023, 08:49 PM
@Recher123321 ,
Wait a minute, if the two struts in the boxes is what you ordered, then you ordered OEM Factory Bentley struts, as the "Bentley" label shows, yet your video doesn't look the same as to the finish on the aluminum cylinder, I surely hope that each strut has the Bentley label still on each.

I will search for issues with struts being to short, is it possible that they are locked somehow to be partially collapsed for shipping.

Let me ask around.

That part number in the morning would be great.

Get some sleep.

Johnny
Hi
I can’t sleep,this thing already make me crazy,I thought of another reason, I think the pillar is locked by the system, because I used vcds to clear Jack mode, I used to change a large screen of Android, although it has canbus box system also has conditions about the soft and hard pillar, but I think it can not adjust the suspension. Is there any way to unlock or adjust the suspension by vcds
Recher

Old 06-08-2023, 09:47 PM
Administrator
@Recher123321 ,
By Android, I assume that you no longer have the factory infotainment head unit, if so, it would have been nice to state that from the beginning, so please, is there anything else we should know ??

When did the issue of height start, before or after the head unit swap, which Android unit did you install, pictures, and who installed it ?

As to the locking of the "pillar", I take it that by pillar you are talking about the strut shaft, I do not think that it would actually lock that way, allowing the tire to ride up into the fender, but not hang down when you jack up the body, the active dampening valve does not limit the distance of travel of the shaft, just the speed / stiffness of how the strut reacts to road surface.

If for some reason the Android head unit is interfering with the struts, then unplug each strut under the bonnet to see if they relax and hang down, just follow the wire out of each top of the strut to the 2 pin plug connector, and unplug each.

I am not saying that this may be your issue, but depending on lhd or rhd, there may be a extra 2 pin plug in the same area as the 2 pin plug for the strut, this extra 2 pin plug is for an extra coolant circulation pump for other parts of the world, I plugged in the wrong one as discussed in my rebuild thread, and I had a left front strut fault code, but I never had my struts lock in place or fail to hang freely down very low, like to the full extension of each strut, be it with power or no power, my suspension system had no power for just over 8 years, and it has always moved freely during my multiple times of jacking it up and down.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:04 AM
@Recher123321 ,
By Android, I assume that you no longer have the factory infotainment head unit, if so, it would have been nice to state that from the beginning, so please, is there anything else we should know ??

When did the issue of height start, before or after the head unit swap, which Android unit did you install, pictures, and who installed it ?

As to the locking of the "pillar", I take it that by pillar you are talking about the strut shaft, I do not think that it would actually lock that way, allowing the tire to ride up into the fender, but not hang down when you jack up the body, the active dampening valve does not limit the distance of travel of the shaft, just the speed / stiffness of how the strut reacts to road surface.

If for some reason the Android head unit is interfering with the struts, then unplug each strut under the bonnet to see if they relax and hang down, just follow the wire out of each top of the strut to the 2 pin plug connector, and unplug each.

I am not saying that this may be your issue, but depending on lhd or rhd, there may be a extra 2 pin plug in the same area as the 2 pin plug for the strut, this extra 2 pin plug is for an extra coolant circulation pump for other parts of the world, I plugged in the wrong one as discussed in my rebuild thread, and I had a left front strut fault code, but I never had my struts lock in place or fail to hang freely down very low, like to the full extension of each strut, be it with power or no power, my suspension system had no power for just over 8 years, and it has always moved freely during my multiple times of jacking it up and down.

Johnny
Hi
I only changed the android screen,that’s all,Do you know the underlying logic of jack mode? Does it lock the suspension by controlling the valve link via a solenoid valve?
I can confirm that my suspension is locked in some way, because it was raised by jack and he would show the normal ride height, not the maximum height, and when jack was lowered the car would sit on the tire again because there was no air in the air bag,Now the more difficult is how to unlock the suspansion solenoid valve (note: not the distribution solenoid valve on the compressor,is the 2pin solenoid valve on the suspansion)

Last edited by Recher123321; 06-09-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:45 AM
@Recher123321 ,

Johnny
I think I figured it out. The garage put my shock absorbers on the wrong side of me,The pins of the solenoid valve on the shock absorber are reversed when the air pump is locked when the shock absorber movement is locked when the air bag inflation top is not opened and the locked movement explodes,The 2 pin connector or definition is reversed, resulting in a locked state when it needs to be opened and closed,I think that is reason

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Bentley air suspension restart