Bentley Continental GT 2004 Boot Gas Struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2020 | 02:14 AM
|
Stuart2004 is infamous around these parts
Bentley Continental GT 2004 Boot Gas Struts

This might be a rather rudimentary question, but here goes:
My GT does not have an electric / auto boot operation mechanism and the unlocking / locking mechanism works fine.
When the boot is released, should the gas struts raise the boot lid to its maximum open position?
And should the closing operation require you to lower the lid to the closed position, against the upward reaction of the gas struts?
At the moment, I need to physically lift the lid open, the struts will hold it in this position and I need to take the weight of the lid through the closing operation.
This is clearly a 1st world problem, but replacing the gas struts is not a huge task.
However, it would be nice to have the mechanism working as designed.

Old 05-16-2020 | 04:01 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
With my 04 ( thankful for not funding the electrotwackery that goes into the electric opening btw ) you have to hand lift it up and down .
It unlocks and opens say 1/2 inch .
Closure .....you use the inside grip pull it down and it mates with the lock and pulls itself shut and locks .

Gas struts just stop it slamming and keep it open / up when it’s fully open .Having said that they do hold it at any reasonable angle from fully open .
So if it’s raining / snowing and iam changing my ski boots and want to stop water getting in I can partially bring it down to cover more .

Old 05-16-2020 | 04:07 AM
|
John
Thank you for the quick response.
And for closure to my first issue . . . now on to TMPS . . .

Old 05-16-2020 | 04:45 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
I saw this from another guy on here and copied in “notes .”
Have not used it yet ....but will do once mine pack in .
I figured out how to disable the infamous TPMS Light.

First, pull the fuse #11 from the fuse box located in the driver side boot on top of the battery.Next, get the Vag can bus scanner or ('v-checker' from ebay). V202 is what i used .

last, go to menu #19 from the scanner, hit coding, type in 0000006.

Not always 0000006, just type in exactly the same, that was coded before.

TA-DA~ light is gone!Make sure you always check the tire pressure like you used to do before TPMS , and enjoy!!

Old 05-16-2020 | 05:01 AM
|
Thanks for this; and certainly worth applying is I am unable to find the route cause of the issue

I was working well until about 12 months ago and it seems that all gave up the ghost.
I replaced the transponders with the 'D' type, but they would not connect with the ECU.
I picked up a used ECU from Flying Spares in the UK, but still no success.
Since then I have been staring at the Dash Board Warning Light!

Need to do some more research before resigning to disconnecting the system at source.

thanks

Old 05-16-2020 | 10:12 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @Stuart2004 ,
I'd like to help, but you kind of confused me, as you have a 2004 GT, then you do not have the power lift and close of the bootlid as you stated, that did not come until 2006 in NA, so therefore your 2004 boot/trunk lid will not lift itself to fully open or fully closed as you do not have the option that came in 2006, so, yes, you will have to lift it by hand to fully open, and lower it by hand to close.

As far as the TPMS, tell me what you mean by "transponders" and "d" type, as the system has sensors in the wheels, and antennas in the wheel wells, so please tell us what a d type is.

http://www.titantpms.com/tpms/bentle...rs-for-Bentley

Johnny

Originally Posted by Stuart2004
This might be a rather rudimentary question, but here goes:
My GT does not have an electric / auto boot operation mechanism and the unlocking / locking mechanism works fine.
When the boot is released, should the gas struts raise the boot lid to its maximum open position?
And should the closing operation require you to lower the lid to the closed position, against the upward reaction of the gas struts?
At the moment, I need to physically lift the lid open, the struts will hold it in this position and I need to take the weight of the lid through the closing operation.
This is clearly a 1st world problem, but replacing the gas struts is not a huge task.
However, it would be nice to have the mechanism working as designed.

Old 05-17-2020 | 12:28 PM
|
Johnny
Thanks for the replies:

On the boot lid issue: it clear that my 2004 does not have the powerlift.
The next question was should the gas strut be powerful enough to merely hold the boot lid open, or stronger, such that they lift the boot lid up, and then requires you to 'pull' the boot lid closed against the pressure of the struts.
The Bentley Arnage has struts that push the boot lid, from release, to about 90% open and then you need to positively close the lid, rather than allow its own weight to close it.

Try www.joshsworld.com

On the TPMS, I replaced the in-tire sensors with the ones you referenced.
By Type D, I was referring to the part number: 4D0907275C rather than 4F which is for 2006 and beyond.

I made no changes to the wheel arch antenna.

I tried a replacement used ECU, but the original and replacement units would not register the new in-tire sensors.

Any thoughts?