Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Trickle charging batteries 2005 Bentley GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 06:03 AM
JStiles01 is infamous around these parts
Trickle charging batteries 2005 Bentley GT

Have a 2005 Bentley GT and have been putting two trickle chargers on during winter, for each battery; however in looking under Maintenance in the Owner Manual it instructs you to connect the negative post of a donor battery to the negative post to the accessory battery (driver's side) and the positive post of the donor battery to the positive post of the engine battery. This is Fig 1-13 "Emergency starting battery connections".
So, is this how should connect the trickle charger and not use two?

Old 10-15-2020, 07:10 AM
Not aware of connection will check out. so, if found, this keeps both batteries charged? Didn't see any reference in Owners Manual.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:01 AM
xclens is infamous around these parts
My GT has only been sitting in the garage for about 3 weeks now and it's already giving me low battery warnings when I start it. I tried to charge the battery on the driver's side in the trunk, but it says that it is full (it is 2 months old). What's the next step? I'm curious about this "battery charging point" and how it works.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:56 AM
Samhain is infamous around these parts
Yeah you should have a cigarette lighter-ish connector that pops out of the side wall on the left side of the trunk. I keep my 2005 charged that way with the Ctek charger and everything's been fine for the two years I've owned it.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:35 AM
Battery charging

I have an 05 GT. I see from another response there should be a cigarette-type socket to plug into. I have not been able to find that. In talking to a Bentley service manager in Scottsdale AZ, USA he said that I could put the Ctek chargers on both batteries. that seems to be working.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:13 AM
The charging connection I mentioned is about halfway back on the left side wall of the trunk, about halfway up. When it's closed it's flush with the side wall, a little press will cause it to pop out and present the charging socket.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:25 PM
Trickle charging batteries

Thank you for the charging station location, don't know why I have never found.
Two questions: do you use a generic cigarette type plug in or is there a special Bentley adapter? Also, does this charge both batteries?

Old 01-24-2021, 02:20 PM
Hi - I use these products - Ctek charger and cig lighter adapter:

Amazon Amazon
(unavail but there should be something similar) and

Amazon Amazon

I *think* it charges both batteries. But the right-side battery hardly ever fails on people. It's almost always the left-side battery. In my 2 years with a Continental and 13 with a VW Phaeton (same electrical system) I've never had to replace a right-side battery. I've replaced a half-dozen left-side batteries. I don't use the charger on my Phaeton as that's my daily driver.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:38 PM
scotstern is infamous around these parts
Unless the rear boot (trunk) connector uses some sort of an isolation circuit then I do not see how it can charge both batteries as one is a house battery and the other is a starter battery. You would not want to tie them together unless there is an isolation circuit that protects each battery.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Dark Green,

This is a fantastic explanation to say the least. My first take on the detailed explanation is that I still do not fully understand exactly how both batteries get charged by the plug but the "mystery circuit" that they describe apparently will charge both if the starter battery is below 11vdc. This circuit is not a long-term solution as it is temperature controlled but it would appear to work for the short term.

Thanks soooooo much for the information!

Old 01-25-2021, 05:40 PM
silvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud of
Deltran 1.5A Battery tender not good enough for this car? I have them on 5 other cars and they all charge to green light 100%. But the Bentley will only get to the 80% or higher charge state. Newish battery.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:56 PM
Strange, as like you I have them on all of my cars and they work very well. I have one on the Bentley and it works perfectly. I am using the 4 amp models on all of the cars. No problems.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:10 PM
silvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by scotstern
Strange, as like you I have them on all of my cars and they work very well. I have one on the Bentley and it works perfectly. I am using the 4 amp models on all of the cars. No problems.
I have all 1.5A models of Battery Tender, that might be the difference then

Old 01-25-2021, 06:33 PM
I could certainly be wrong, but I would think that 1.5A would be fine, it might just take longer. Sounds to me like your battery may be a little suspect.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @Dark Green ,
Great SSP, thank you !

Although, I also have recently have had the issue of the starter battery not maintaining charge while the C-tek is hooked up to the house battery, I left said C-tek connected to the house battery and left it for a few weeks in a shop that most likely reaches 34-40°f on cold nights, well the new starter battery was low, I switched the C-tek over to the right side starter battery and she took charging for some hours, I know from hands on that the two batteries have separate circuits, and always wondered how the C-tek would charge both, others here have said to use 2 C-tek's, but your SSP from the way I understand it should work with 1 charger, yet it failed to to so on my vehicle, and my battery management module is brand new...

Just odd..

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-29-2021 at 07:13 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trickle charging batteries 2005 Bentley GT