Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2004 Bentley GT coolant drain plug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 09:04 AM
ExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really nice
2004 Bentley GT coolant drain plug

Does anyone know how to remove the coolant drain plug? It appears to be threaded as when I turn it clockwise or counter clockwise it screws in and out. Once its screws all the way out, I pull on it and I can't get it to come out. Can you please advise so I won't break anything? Also, does anyone know why it has a hole and 2 slots on the end of it? Does anyone know the exact replacement o-ring size instead of having to buy the whole thing new?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
It does not come out, you just turn and drain, are you trying to drain the system, or is it leaking ?

Johnny

Old 03-15-2021, 10:54 AM
ExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really nice
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
It does not come out, you just turn and drain, are you trying to drain the system, or is it leaking ?

Johnny
The o-ring is leaking by so I need to either replace the o-ring or a purchase a new drain plug.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Well it does appear to be available separately, instead of a one piece item consisting of the lower hose.

I would check to see if the 2 slots have some kind of release built in, I have a few extra lower hoses and will check to see how to separate it from the housing later today after my wheels get delivered.

As I also have a very slow drip from the same spot, after sitting dry for some time the 2014 hose assembly I used most have shrunk the o-ring.

And I agree, if it isn't cracked at all, just replace the o-ring, as to the size, don't know, but I have a large selection of sizes in my o-ring kit.

Amazon Amazon

New plug is $30 at Scuderia.

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...rain-plug.html

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-15-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Well it does appear to be available separately, instead of a one piece item consisting of the lower hose.

I would check to see if the 2 slots have some kind of release built in, I have a few extra lower hoses and will check to see how to separate it from the housing later today after my wheels get delivered.

As I also have a very slow drip from the same spot, after sitting dry for some time the 2014 hose assembly I used most have shrunk the o-ring.

And I agree, if it isn't cracked at all, just replace the o-ring, as to the size, don't know, but I have a large selection of sizes in my o-ring kit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN6Z7T7...937Y4JEXX4M3TN

Johnny
Thanks for looking into this. BTW, I asked Scuderia (in UK) for a quote and the freight to ship to the USA is more than the price of the plug

Old 03-15-2021, 12:52 PM
CatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ExoticCarDriver
Thanks for looking into this. BTW, I asked Scuderia (in UK) for a quote and the freight to ship to the USA is more than the price of the plug
More than happy to ship one over for you.

C

Old 03-15-2021, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by CatmanV2
More than happy to ship one over for you.

C
Thanks but I just ordered one from the local dealer for $50

Old 03-20-2021, 02:56 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN6Z7T7...937Y4JEXX4M3TN

Johnny
Did you get a chance to see how to separate the plug from the lower hose from your spares hoses? The slots do look like they come into play for removing the drain plug.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by ExoticCarDriver
Did you get a chance to see how to separate the plug from the lower hose from your spares hoses? The slots do look like they come into play for removing the drain plug.
I am here now, give me a few minutes.

Johnny

Old 03-20-2021, 03:23 PM
Administrator
@ExoticCarDriver ,
The 2 slots really don't serve a purpose as I thought, just turn it counter clockwise and pull out as far as possible by hand, then place the pliers at 12 & 6 o'clock while the slots are at 9 and 3, give a light squeeze to spread the 2 bumps out and over the end of the guide slots..

Johnny

Old 03-20-2021, 11:52 PM
Thanks Johnny. I will give it another try for removing the drain plug. Its not much room in there. The hose is still on the car so I have to use pliers from the side.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:18 AM
mohara is infamous around these parts
love the wheels !

Old 03-29-2021, 02:10 PM
I finally got the plug out. I ended up buying a VW/Audi part# 6Q0122291F from O' Reillys auto parts as it had a similar plug which was only $10 with the piping. Keep in mind the Bentley plug from the dealer is $50! This part allowed me to analyze how to remove the plug. What I found out is the plug can easily be removed through the 2 slots with either snap ring pliers or two 2" screws placed all the way through the slots and then you pinch them together and pull out the plug.

With the little clearance that's available there is no way to remove the plug with these options unless you remove a lot of stuff! The only way I could find was to destroy the old plug by using a dremel tool to remove one of the 2 teeth inside the plug and slowly peel away the the plug to remove it.

The plugs are similar and I didn't have a way to check to see if they are exactly the same. Who knows they may be and this will be a cheaper option. Please see the pic below for comparison.

Old 03-11-2023, 10:25 AM
edinp is infamous around these parts
Hi did the Audi drain plug fit the Bentley? I have the same problem on my 2005 GT. Anything else you can share on this replacement? Thanks

Old 03-12-2023, 12:47 PM
edinp is infamous around these parts
Johnny , can you confirm that those 2 slots on the drain **** indeed don’t serve the purpose of sliding it out from the housing? Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 Bentley GT coolant drain plug