Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Secondary Air injection fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 06:33 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Secondary Air injection fault

I read the 2019 thread on this fault (P1423) and I'm still a bit unsure about the background. My check engine light came on, I ran the codes, got the (below) readout. It didn't seem like something that was critical, so I cleared the codes, it's run about 20 miles, including a cold start and the light hasn't come back on.

I had all of my vacuum lines replaced with stainless, my internet research shows a possible vacuum leak, a bad vacuum switch or maybe even an O2 sensor (I proactively changed out my O2 sensors when the engine was out).

Does anyone have any advice? My independent is great, I sent them a note to see if they had any thoughts. I'm hoping it stays clear. But what brought it up to begin with?

1 Fault Found:

17831 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 1

P1423 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent - MIL ON

Readiness: 0000 0000

Old 04-07-2021, 08:27 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Independent says it's emissions for the catalytic converter, the air pump, it might come on again, it might not, but won't harm the car.

If anyone else has had this, fill me in.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @British ,
"insufficient flow" may just mean that you have a loose connection on the large plastic secondary air injection lines, therefore not getting the full flow/pressure for bank 1, or it could be that the bank 1 secondary air injection pump is starting to fail, there are 2 sai pumps mounted together on the passenger front area, and their lines run to each combi valve at the front of each cylinder head.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 04-07-2021 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 04-07-2021, 02:24 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
There are little filters on the inlets of both sai blowers they are in a stupid place and clog up especially if driven on flooded roads.
They are not hard to replace. You will have to remove the rh inner wheel arch liner. You can then check the filters. Johnny has posted pictures above of the blowers.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:09 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
As Frank stated, there are filters for each sai pump air intake.

Thank you for the reminder Frank, I will blow mine out before I button up my front end..

See pics.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 04-07-2021 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-09-2021, 08:04 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Thanks guys, I'm sending this to the mechanic

Old 04-09-2021, 09:46 AM
CatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud of
@British any chance of a response on the phone holder questions? I never saw one

C

Old 04-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Ah geez, I forgot to take a pic! And now the car is in the shop. Let me see if I have something I can figure out the case from.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Here is the product line: https://www.proclipusa.com/product-f...ce/phone/apple

It's a "proclip". They just routed the wire in and plugged it into the USB port…actually, they put a short USB cord on the port, then connected the Proclip to that where I can reach it under the glovebox, so I can access the radio's USB with a different cable if I need to.

I don't know which model and how they mounted it, the pic below is the best I have on this computer. The way they have it mounted, it does facial recognition easily, I can just turn to it and swipe up. It's adjustable, others in my family have different sized phones, we can wedge pretty much everything in there when needed. I also have the HDMI cable routed to my ashtray and a second USB charging port next to that. I rarely use either, but if I'm bored and waiting I'll watch Netflix on the Alpine, but I have to plug in the HDMI adapter to my iPhone, kind of a pain. The hard mount won't do video, you have to use an HDMI cable for that. Don't know why.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:54 AM
CatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud of
Thanks! It's more how they mounted it to the dash, really. The proclips are fine, although generic. Perhaps I can bug you some more when you get over the current niggles?

Cheers

C

Old 04-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Yeah, I know exactly what you're looking for, since they did a nice job. The mount is hidden, the fascia can still be removed with the mount attached, I never thought much about it until you started asking. When the current troubles are over, I'll get some good pics. I don't know I'll get the model number, but maybe. I love the setup, I wouldn't have it any other way. I want to put the exact same one in my wife's car, but the high-end stereo shops are so booked up, I don't make the effort to get an appointment, since it's really two appointments, one for them to look at it and decide on the solution and the other to put it in once the parts are ordered.

I've really been having trouble with my Ben Hur, I'm bummed about that .

Old 04-09-2021, 12:36 PM
Thanks @British
FWIW I just got my GT Speed back from Cowdray Cars to take a look, give it the once over, sort the no KESSY etc. Excellent service. I've got issues with my Ben-HUR (see posts passim) and Cowdray got in touch with Vi-products for me.
Basically for (I think) £90 they'll ship it, examine it and quote for repairs. Max repair is about £500 which is a good deal compared to a new one (although perhaps not great if it's only just out of warranty.

Cowdray's communications with them identified an internal fault, but on return, it's much better than it was in that the lights on the Ben-HUR all go off when the car is closed and locked.

I am a happy man (not least because they told me I'd scored a good car. The only 'issue' is that it needs a new latch on the driver's side to get the soft close working and a new handle on passenger side if I want to have keyless entry / locking there.....)

C

Old 04-13-2021, 04:06 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Thanks for this. I took your advice and I got in touch with Nav-TV today, they're going to issue an RMA. They want me to send the whole enchilada in, the head unit and the radio to figure it out.

I lose one or both channels when I go over a bump, I can get it back if I thump on the top of the head unit with my knuckles. Changed out the wiring hardness, that didn't help. There's some loose connection in the head unit I think.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Hello @British ,
Did your man give any update as to the SAI insufficient flow ?

Johnny

Old 04-13-2021, 05:58 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
I gave them all of your pictures, I don't think they've touched it, they're dealing with my blown-out air bladder. But I'm hoping that they find a clogged filter, they know where to look now, thanks.

This car is getting wacky; first the bad turbo waste gate, then the thermostat, the bad wheel bearing, then the blown power steering hose ($450 for the hose, geez) and now the air suspension. I'm averaging about five bucks a mile driving this thing, not counting gas.

II hope it gains a little reliability, I really do. I don't mind repairing it, but when I have to be at the airport, I have to be at the airport, I'm starting to get worried that I can't count on it.