Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley Continental GT (2008) Seat recline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 05:10 PM
GTSeth is infamous around these parts
Bentley Continental GT (2008) Seat recline

Hi Guys, new member here! I just got a Bentley GT 2008 a few weeks ago and love it.

I've searched the internet high and low for an answer on this but cannot find one! can anyone help?

The driver and passenger seats only seem to recline to about 70 degrees, now it might seem odd but my driving preference is about 55 - 60 degrees but with the seat higher up, I find any more than this makes my back ache a bit on long trips and every other car I have owned goes this far back, most of them go all the way back! At first I thought it was faulty but the passenger seat reclines the same. Is there any way around this? Protractor image below for tax

just to help explain my seat recline!

Old 09-24-2021, 02:53 AM
GTSeth is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dark Green
Welcome to the forum.

I understand the point you’re making, but I think you face two issues here:

Safety – at the inclination you are trying to achieve there is a real danger that you could ‘submarine’ under the belts, in the way in which Jochen Rindt sadly did.

Physical obstruction – on my, admittedly earlier, car, the back of the front seat would collide with the rear three quarter trim panel if the seat were to be reclined any more. I suspect that the seat control computer doesn’t have any sense of where the seat is in either axis, so is unable to permit greater recline if the seat squab is motored forward, than is allowed when at the rearmost extent of its travel.
Thanks, Appreciate your response, but even with Bentleys super sensitive sense of ensuring the seats don't collide, there is so much more room for it to recline even set at its furthest back. Its a shame really because I used to love having a lunch time nap in the cars by setting the seats recline back a bit...

so do we know then that it is just a limitation of the seats and not a issue with them or a setting that can be modified?

Cheers