Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

coolant/antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Jasonbrand57 is infamous around these parts
coolant/antifreeze leak

On my 2006 GT, the engine coolant is leaking out of the - what looks like a drain hole at the bottom of the radiator right were the fitting & hose is connected to it. the one side has a Drain Plug part# 3w0121297, that is in all the way but still coolant is leaking out. I've ordered another plug ($61 american, coming from scuderia - Hysterical - piece of plastic for $61!!!)

I am assuming the plug is pulled out - don't know if it's threaded but picture of new plug shows, o ring on tip and no threads - i guess. Why would this all of a sudden start leaking and does someone know precisely how to remove the old one and replace the new one? Do I remove the intercooler Hose (complete with oil accumulated over time) to get at it - or is a long, long needle nose plier the best way to manipulate the drain plug - If at all this is the real problem?

Any suggestions on refilling coolant, as in many american cars, getting the air out of the coolant system is essential for proper cooling

Old 10-23-2021, 10:31 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Without a pic it’s difficult to comment .The rads eventually corrode away and weep bottom inside precisely where you describe.
Its the bi metallic but alloy core + steel frame = electrolytic corrosion .
Not if but when .My 2004 went in 2018 so your 2006 ( albeit better climate ? ) is bang on time wise, you can almost set your watch on this .
Btw it’s a VAG issue the bi metallic corrosion, inevitably.

Plenty of threads on what else to do “ while in there “

Old 10-23-2021, 10:55 AM
coolant leak

I was afraid of that. I've been reading the other threads about what else to do when you remove the rad. So I'll address when I get down to business. Thanks again!

Old 10-23-2021, 11:31 AM
yes I would appreciate that. I've already (yesterday) put the car down and back into the garage - I should have included a pic!

Old 10-23-2021, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @Jasonbrand57 ,
I am sorry to hear that you paid $61....

Here is the link to a discussion about the drain plug from back in March, if you are able to remove the plug without damage, as I did, then you would just replace the O-ring.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rain-plug.html

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 10-23-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:11 PM
As everyone has lamented, the part itself is $31 or so - but scuderia's insurance and shipping made it $61. I tried the VW/Audi equivalent but i wasn't getting anything (poor internet searching skills I guess). But, this thread is the award winner - it shows the construction and what I'm up against. Was thinking the same about just replacing O ring (if only i looked here 2 days ago). My concern is John's thread about the rad being corroded, in which case this won't help - but we'll see and thank you for your guidance!