Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2005 Bentley continental gt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 06:21 AM
2chainz is infamous around these parts
2005 Bentley continental gt

I've had this 2005 Bentley continental gt for 6mo and it's perfect until now . It has 64k miles but recently I have felt something different on takeoff road construction has been going on so I associated it with that but yesterday it was significantly worse then I slightly hit the gas and felt like something gave loose on the driver's side front. I pulled over and turned the steering wheel and I could hear something. Its shaking terrible any ideas or anyone have had this problem?

Old 12-21-2021, 07:48 AM
Samhain is infamous around these parts
Not me. Please tell us more about it. Seems to be associated just with the suspension? Does it shake on braking? Associated with engine power?

Old 12-21-2021, 09:01 AM
Shaking

It's got the power but the shaking is violent enough that I will not drive it and it is noisy even parked turning the wheel

Old 12-21-2021, 09:43 AM
Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2chainz
It's got the power but the shaking is violent enough that I will not drive it and it is noisy even parked turning the wheel
Just to be absolutely clear: are you saying that the engine is shaking whilst the car is stationary and the transmission is in Park?
Or are you saying that the car is shaking only when being actually driven?

Old 12-21-2021, 09:56 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @2chainz ,
I am taking it that the shaking is while the vehicle is in motion, and that when you stop the vehicle, you have no shaking, but when parked and turning the wheel, you have noises of some kind coming from the drivers side front suspension area, am I correct in my assumption?

First, I would check the lug bolts on that wheel, and also show us what wheel you have, 1 piece wheels, 2 or 3 piece wheels, as multi piece wheels may become loose.

May I ask if you are mechanically inclined, if not, please have the vehicle flat bedded to your service shop, if you have worked on vehicles, I would suggest putting the suspension into jack mode and jacking up the vehicle to remove drivers front wheel to inspect for any damage, such as broken ball joints on all upper and lower control arms, ball joints on the tie rod ends, inner and outer, check all bushings of the control arms, check the condition of the CV joint boot, and the CV joint itself.

Post pictures of these items for us to have a look at.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 12-21-2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Missing word...🤪
Old 12-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Shaking only while driving not saying that the motor mounts are good but it's definitely something else

Old 12-21-2021, 11:00 AM
Shaking

I'm talented mechanically but haven't had to diagnose anything like this before I'm a hvac mechanic so I'm very detailed in my work and I don't have a ton of faith in shops.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:25 AM
Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !
In which case I would get the front up in the air with the wheels off, so that you can look at the suspension bushes and also reach in to the driveshafts, and see whether they feel loose.

I'm unsure if it will help, but here’s a picture showing the components of the front suspension:https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/en-...123/2115/37938

The bushes shown as part number 15 take quite a hammering, and due to the degree of articulation in the two ball joints which attach to the top of the upright (12), those two arms (13 and 14) move quite significantly when the steering is turned and the upright rotates.

The same is not true of the bushes in the lower arms, so I would expect them not to make a noise as the steering is turned whilst stationary.

A failed upper arm bush is easy to spot, because they quite visibly collapse, but prior to that will likely result in uneven tyre wear.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:06 PM
Cv axel

I finally was able to get the vehicle in the air with tires of everything appeared in outstanding condition nothing worn etc. I am no auto mechanic but the play on the cv axel didn't seem normal on both sides of the front I was tugging in and out and it had nothing alarming but definitely play. I then put tires back on and proceeded to go thru a series of turns at a crawl the clicking was definitely loud then on a straight away I gave it a small punch probably around 15 20 mph that bitc$ shook so violent I felt as if the entire vehicle was coming apart.... Thoughs???? I appreciate all the help ..

Old 12-23-2021, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
I finally was able to get the vehicle in the air with tires of everything appeared in outstanding condition nothing worn etc. I am no auto mechanic but the play on the cv axel didn't seem normal on both sides of the front I was tugging in and out and it had nothing alarming but definitely play. I then put tires back on and proceeded to go thru a series of turns at a crawl the clicking was definitely loud then on a straight away I gave it a small punch probably around 15 20 mph that bitc$ shook so violent I felt as if the entire vehicle was coming apart.... Thoughs???? I appreciate all the help ..
@2chainz ,
Please post pictures of your wheels.

The play in and out (left to right) to a certain degree is normal, up and down, forward to back at the CV joint itself is not, the clicking on turning indicates a bad/worn/dry CV joint, or depending on what wheels you have on the vehicle, such as a 2 piece or 3 piece, the wheel could be coming apart, therefore clicking and wobbling, or you may have a worn wheel hub bearing at 64K miles.

When you had the vehicle in the air, did you grab the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock, and 9 and 3 o'clock to test for play of the wheel bearing on each side, and play of the steering tie rods ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 12-23-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
@2chainz ,
Please post pictures of your wheels.

The play in and out (left to right) to a certain degree is normal, up and down, forward to back at the CV joint itself is not, the clicking on turning indicates a bad/worn/dry CV joint, or depending on what wheels you have on the vehicle, such as a 2 piece or 3 piece, the wheel could be coming apart, therefore clicking and wobbling, or you may have a worn wheel hub bearing at 64K miles.

When you had the vehicle in the air, did you grab the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock, and 9 and 3 o'clock to test for play of the wheel bearing on each side, and play of the steering tie rods ?

Johnny
I'll post pictures of the wheels in the morning I did a few tests with my buddy who worked for sears lol years ago he definitely has way more knowledge than I. Nothing jumped out at him or my neighbor who currently works in a shop.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:53 PM
Administrator
I'll post pictures of the wheels in the morning I did a few tests with my buddy who worked for sears lol years ago he definitely has way more knowledge than I. Nothing jumped out at him or my neighbor who currently works in a shop.
@2chainz ,
It would be helpful if you actually answered my questions, please, give some detail as to what I have asked, such as what type wheels you have,, did you perform the 12 & 6 / 3 & 9 on each tire to check hub bearing, ball joints, tie rods ?

Are these factory wheels, or aftermarket non hub centric wheels ?

Johnny

Old 12-24-2021, 12:22 PM
Factor rims

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
@2chainz ,
It would be helpful if you actually answered my questions, please, give some detail as to what I have asked, such as what type wheels you have,, did you perform the 12 & 6 / 3 & 9 on each tire to check hub bearing, ball joints, tie rods ?

Are these factory wheels, or aftermarket non hub centric wheels ?

Johnny
I'm sorry they are factory rims. I pulled them off and inspect them thoroughly everything looks tight. I have limited experience none practically but I am mechanical inclined. I didn't perform this check your speaking of if you would be so kind as to explain how I will. Thank you for your time and patience .