Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Upgrading to Tesla Style Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 07:48 AM
xclens is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DR3ADKN0T
I didn't end up using it, I had a bunch of extra cables which I figure was for cars w/o Ben Hur already installed. Looks good, that plastic trim was rough to remove the first time but it its a bit easier after that. Still need to be careful, not sure how easy it is to replace that trim
Thanks for that! I ended up feeling satisfied with the volume (without the RCA converter), so I went ahead and pushed the trim all the way in. It took a hard push before the tabs 'caught on' in a couple of places, so I can imagine that it is in there quite well!

The WhatsApp guy that you sent me the number to has been very helpful. Sure, the answers are not the longest or the most informative, and he usually answers after 12-15 hours, but the other day, out of the blue after a few days of no correspondence, he kindly messaged me "Hi sir, how are you doing with your install?"

Old 03-28-2022, 09:23 PM
iSteve is infamous around these parts
So all in all is it working ok and worth the money? does
wiper service suspension adjustment work ok?

Last edited by iSteve; 03-28-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:29 PM
DR3ADKN0T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xclens
Thanks for that! I ended up feeling satisfied with the volume (without the RCA converter), so I went ahead and pushed the trim all the way in. It took a hard push before the tabs 'caught on' in a couple of places, so I can imagine that it is in there quite well!

The WhatsApp guy that you sent me the number to has been very helpful. Sure, the answers are not the longest or the most informative, and he usually answers after 12-15 hours, but the other day, out of the blue after a few days of no correspondence, he kindly messaged me "Hi sir, how are you doing with your install?"
That's good to hear. Did you install the backup camera? Trying to decide what to do with it. Mine had one already but I can't seem to hook it up. It was a clean install so I don't want to just swap it out. I am bringing into an audio shop near me to build out a custom sub box in the trunk. I like bass but I want it to be clean and tight. Not trunk-rattling. Will have them hook up a backup camera at the same time Did you hook up the GPS sensor that came with the radio so you can see the speed on the screen? I can't figure out the best placement without it looking out of place, it so I haven't added it yet,

Old 03-29-2022, 06:40 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
I did the sub in the trunk and I think it makes a huge difference, so I recommend it. I caution you about what I did; I said the same thing, "I want a subwoofer but I don't want to set off car alarms." Ends up that yes, I did in fact want one that loud, he gave me a 10" and it blew out after six months. I had them completely redo it with a 12" and a much larger amp and I'm really happy with it now. I took the leather out of the ski pass-through and aimed the speaker there, they used a very think speaker cloth, black. You can put the armrest up or down, it changes the sound a bit, obviously I like it down.

So don't skimp on the sub, it really makes the car special to be able to turn up the radio and have it sound that good. I had forgotten how important good bass is, I'm so used to earbuds and tinny car speakers, a real set of speakers makes a difference.

I don't like my tweeters though, I want to replace them, they're too metal-ly sounding, if that makes sense, but we haven't found a good cloth-domed tweeter that fits. We know there are good ones out there, but the set the installer tried didn't fit.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by iSteve
So all in all is it working ok and worth the money? does
wiper service suspension adjustment work ok?
My apologies, but I have no idea what this 'wiper service suspension adjustment' is?

Old 03-31-2022, 09:44 AM
That's good to hear. Did you install the backup camera?
No, my installer felt that the camera that I received with the screen was far too large and ugly. It was about a 1 x 1 inch (like 2,5 x 2,5 cm) cube, and it wouldn't have looked good mounted anywhere.

The factory camera that I have shows like half of a square meter directly below the back bumper, so it is almost completely useless, but with the new screen it also now has horizontal lines flowing down. Perhaps this is a PAL / NTSC setting? I haven't begun to get into those settings yet.

Did you hook up the GPS sensor that came with the radio so you can see the speed on the screen? I can't figure out the best placement without it looking out of place, it so I haven't added it yet,
Yes I did. But I didn't know that it was the GPS sensor that measures the digital speed, I actually thought that it came from the CAN-BUS. My installer removed the factory sensors from the top of the windshield and installed the new sensors on the passenger side of the windshield. I felt that it was a very good placement. I'll upload some pics!

Old 03-31-2022, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xclens
My apologies, but I have no idea what this 'wiper service suspension adjustment' is?
​​​​​​Hello @xclens ,
The question is in reference to the windshield wipers service position, and the suspension control as far as height, and the 4 settings of ride quality, from comfort to sport, the two items used the big center **** on the original Infotainment head unit for selecting each, along with other items.

So, the question is, with any of the aftermarket head units, can these actions still be performed ?

Johnny

Old 03-31-2022, 02:21 PM
broncoupe is infamous around these parts
Antenna

Just bought a Flying Spur which has this unit installed my problem is really poor radio reception tried both original Ariel connections no difference is there a wire that needs connecting for the Ariel amps ?

Old 04-01-2022, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
​​​​​​Hello @xclens ,
The question is in reference to the windshield wipers service position, and the suspension control as far as height, and the 4 settings of ride quality, from comfort to sport, the two items used the big center **** on the original Infotainment head unit for selecting each, along with other items.

So, the question is, with any of the aftermarket head units, can these actions still be performed ?

Johnny
Thank you for the clarification. Yes, all of those things can be controlled in the car settings.

The English is perhaps not the best, but under "Suspension level" there is Comfort, 1, 2, and Sport.

Under "car level" there is General and Advanced, with Advanced being the raised level.

Last edited by xclens; 04-01-2022 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by broncoupe
Just bought a Flying Spur which has this unit installed my problem is really poor radio reception tried both original Ariel connections no difference is there a wire that needs connecting for the Ariel amps ?
Unfortunately I also seem to have a little bit less-than-perfect radio reception. But I had 0 radio stations before the installation as my car is imported from Japan, and now I can find at least 80% of the Swedish stations.

You can go into the settings and change the FM sensitivity. Start the Radio app, then click the Settings icon (gear) in the bottom right corner. Then change the "FM Sens" to 1.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:22 AM
Did you hook up the GPS sensor that came with the radio so you can see the speed on the screen? I can't figure out the best placement without it looking out of place, it so I haven't added it yet,
This is where he placed my sensors. One on the bottom and one up top. They don't bother me..

But I suppose it's not the prettiest view from the outside... heh

Last edited by xclens; 04-01-2022 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-01-2022, 02:18 PM
sal4b is infamous around these parts
Hi,

I am seriously thinking of upgrading to one of theses.

From my research Android 11.0 is the current version.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...martRedirect=y

Decisions Decisions,........

Sal

Old 04-01-2022, 03:14 PM
broncoupe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sal4b
Hi,

Sal
I installed this unit today in a 2008 Flying Spur
very easy install all parts were supplied

The volume of unit was fine I didn’t need to use supplied ground loop isolator
Had terrible radio reception in UK because Bentley requires the Audi style Twin Fakra Ariel adaptor with phantom power this activates factory Ariel filters in rear window / side pillars
Then rest radio setting in menu this rests sensitivity for seek function

Old 04-02-2022, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by sal4b
Hi,

Sal
Yes, I do not think there is a newer version than Android 11 yet. I purchased mine from this store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000299470040.html

I am very pleased with mine! I have unlimited data on my mobile plan, so I just use my phone as a Mobile Hotspot, and connect the screen via WiFi to my phone. That way I have access to every app without the need to purchase a separate SIM card just for the screen.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:36 PM
sal4b is infamous around these parts
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the reply are we saying that these units can be installed by self.

Do theses units come with a rear camera ?

Thanks

Sal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to Tesla Style Radio