Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Upgrading to Tesla Style Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:15 PM
DR3ADKN0T is infamous around these parts
Upgrading to Tesla Style Radio

Figured some others maybe interested in this. I pulled the trigger and ordered a Tesla-style radio unit from Alibaba. I had an updated radio in my car when I bought it. I think it's called Ben Hur or something. I am not a huge fan because it feels cheap and the LCD screen is pixelating out a lot. Link below. So far been relatively smooth, they asked for photos to confirm the color and fit. May not look as sharp as the factory radio but will be a huge upgrade from the current unit. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Android 12.1 Inch Tesla Style Car Multimedia Dvd Player For Bentley Flying Spur Continental Gps Navigation With Carplay - Buy Car Dvd Player For Bentley Flying Spur,Car Gps Navigation For Bentley Continental,Android Car Dvd For Bentley Flying Spur Product on Alibaba.com

Last edited by DR3ADKN0T; 01-08-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:20 AM
NigelM is infamous around these parts
Will be interested to hear how you get on, especially with the colour match/quality.
My Flying Spur is a 2008 with walnut trim, they only seem to do mahogany and black at the moment as I recall.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:43 PM
US06GT is infamous around these parts
Following you on this.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:04 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
My Ben Hur has been nothing but a hassle, it blew out once, got repaired, now the right channel is intermittent. I've put $4,000 or so into this conversion, including installation and the double-din radio you have to purchase with it.

I'm thinking of simply throwing in the towel and getting the Alibaba one, but I really don't want to take out my beautiful burled wood and replace it with black shiny plastic. It's not the money, it's just hard to pull the trigger on taking the wood out.

Let us know how this goes.

Pic below is of my wood. Your thoughts?

Last edited by British; 01-11-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:09 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of

Old 01-11-2022, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I think my wood is a bit darker than yours. I am guessing it would stand out. Scheduled to arrive Thursday, prob will need to wait for it to warm up before I install it but I will send photos once I get it.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:32 PM
Wow 6 days since I ordered it I have it in hand 2 days early. Here are some unboxing photos for those who are interested

Last edited by DR3ADKN0T; 01-11-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:39 PM
Samhain is infamous around these parts
I think your wood is birds-eye maple.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:59 AM
CartoonCrazy is infamous around these parts
Please keep us informed on how it goes!!

I would love to upgrade to this system. I have heard messing with the stock set up can cause bugs and issues with the car's computer system. If it goes smoothly for you, I will probably try this as well. VERY interested in what you think of it once it is in.

The color of the wood looks like what is in my car......

Old 01-12-2022, 02:06 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Originally Posted by Samhain
I think your wood is birds-eye maple.
I absolutely love the wood. It will be really hard to replace it with shiny plastic. But I do like that computer screen and the Ben Hur is making me batty.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:16 PM
So started to install it today. Ran into a couple of hiccups. First the bolts used to hold the vent and clock into the bezel are different sizes. Had to buy other ones to fit.

I do have the Benhur so this install was simpler. Most modifications are done. They do give you the wiring of your coming from stock.

two remaining issues. The remote wire won’t turn on my amp in the trunk (aftermarket) was able to connect remote wire to power and started working so need to sort that out. The other issue is the power for the rear camera. The connection needs power so need to figure out where to tap on for positive and negative sides. Benhur had a connection for it. This kit came with a camera but not sure I wanna rerun the wires when I have one

here are some photos.

Compare front

Compare back

Stick dash bolt hole

New dash bolt hole

Old 01-12-2022, 07:03 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
To power the camera, just tap into the ground and the acc for the radio since you already have the radio out.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by TeamJones1962
To power the camera, just tap into the ground and the acc for the radio since you already have the radio out.
I already pulled the front cig lighter to use for a USB port, so I figured I would just tie the old power for that since it's no longer in use. Also, I think it will work for remote since it shouldn't have power until the car is on.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:07 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Thanks for this, you're doing us all a service!

Funny, I was talking with a friend who was doing the same think for his kid's Ford, the radio was 1/3 the price, seems like the same Chinese manufacturer in the niche of doing infotainment upgrades. It's like they have a "2x" button on the cash register they press when they see "Bentley".

Old 01-13-2022, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by British
Thanks for this, you're doing us all a service!

Funny, I was talking with a friend who was doing the same think for his kid's Ford, the radio was 1/3 the price, seems like the same Chinese manufacturer in the niche of doing infotainment upgrades. It's like they have a "2x" button on the cash register they press when they see "Bentley".
Thanks. I will tell you to make sure to search around, the prices change all the time. The ones i saw a month ago for $1100-$1300 are showing up at $1500-$1700. I was able to use an older quote that had lower pricing. I am pretty sure it's all the same unit but each company sells them as their own.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to Tesla Style Radio