Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

05 Continental GT Vacuum Hose Identification - Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 03:11 AM
JFIRL is infamous around these parts
05 Continental GT Vacuum Hose Identification - Help Please

Good morning everyone,

I'm reaching out to the community to help me identify a hose, possibly vacuum hose, that was damaged by a windscreen wiper linkage failure yesterday. The hose in question, is located at position 2 (credit to past user on this forum for the photo as it's not mine). A close up of the hose is also attached with a yellow arrow pointing to it.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise:

1. What the function of this hose is.
2. What type of hose do I need to replace it and if this is an OEM only repair.

Kind regards,

JFIRL.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:24 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @JFIRL ,
You will really need to step back a bit and take a better picture, showing a larger area, there are no vacuum lines in that area anywhere near the wiper linkage, or even in that section of the cowl, at least not on the USA LHD 2005-07 models, there are however some coolant tubes and hoses that run to the white (mine) or black ( as I have seen before) expansion tank, and a washer fluid line that runs to the hood/bonnet for windscreen cleaning.

Try to get us a better picture.

Johnny

Old 09-09-2022, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @JFIRL ,
You will really need to step back a bit and take a better picture, showing a larger area, there are no vacuum lines in that area anywhere near the wiper linkage, or even in that section of the cowl, at least not on the USA LHD 2005-07 models, there are however some coolant tubes and hoses that run to the white (mine) or black ( as I have seen before) expansion tank, and a washer fluid line that runs to the hood/bonnet for windscreen cleaning.

Try to get us a better picture.

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Thank you very much for the advice. That's the best picture I can get at the moment unfortunately and I appreciate that it's not ideal. My car is a UK spec RHD model. The hose in question is located to the right hand side of the windscreen wash inlet / filler pipe. I got to witness the moment of damage yesterday, when I turned on the wipers having seen the disconnected wiper linkage, only to hear a hissing sound straight away then. I traced it to this location as I was able to affect the hissing sound by wriggling this hose but not others.

Perhaps it was my imagination but I felt that it impacted the idle and acceleration.

Thanks again for the input :-).

Old 09-09-2022, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
@JFIRL ,
Well, now that makes some sense, as you are RHD, your brake master cylinder/booster is not as shown in the borrowed picture of #2 area you posted, therefore it is possible that the wiper linkage did damage to the main vacuum line feeding the brake booster, as the wiper motor and linkage are relocated to the right side on a RHD GT, although, I have to say again, we need a better picture to see the area correctly, as on the main vacuum line to the booster on the LHD model, would really not be damaged by said linkage, as the vacuum line comes into the front of the booster, the line you show with the yellow arrow, does a 180° turn, and I don't see the booster in the picture.

Does your 05 have adaptive cruise control by any chance, I have seen a different setup for ACC.

Johnny

RHD

My LHD brake booster vacuum supply line.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:32 AM
Thank you Johnny,

I had my car to an indy repair shop this AM to repair the wiper linkage and look at the vacuum line leak. I had asked him to take a photo of the area once he had stripped off some of the items preventing me from taking a proper photo (as I'm not great at this kinda thing), however, he forgot. For now, he just reinforced the suspect line with some tape (not great IMO). He did note however that he was able to hear a slight vacuum leak from the area under the plastic B symbol and demonstrated it to me. My heart sank as I'm fearful that this might be one of those 'engine & transmission out' jobs?

Its the area corresponding to "1" on the borrowed photo in my original post. Would you have any thoughts as to whether the lines in this area require the engine & transmission to come out? What function do these vacuum lines serve and will it damage the engine by driving it as is? I don't have any engine lights on and the vacuum pump doesn't sound like its running overtime.

Thanks very much once again,

JFIRL.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Hello @JFIRL ,
Just for all of our knowledge, did he say what the line was that you marked by the yellow arrow, as I can definitely see it is cracked as I marked by a red arrow.

As far as the hissing sound of vacuum leaks under the "B" cover, you do have a 2005, so no solenoids there as shown in my 2011 engine setup, BUT we all have the same 2 big vacuum lines with the check valves going into the back of the intake under that B cover, they are a known failure, you can repair those right at the top with high heat tape, or rubber hose, you can see the tape in my pictures, it is two layers, pull back the mesh sleeve and tape the plastic tube, then slide the mesh back up and tape in place, or use rubber hose and factory style Oetiker clamps, not the worm gear clamps that cut into the hose when over tightened, note, the rubber hoses attached to the intake itself shown in my pictures, are factory, the failure issue is on the other side of the check valves where you see the tape.

See my video at the 16 second mark to around 2 minutes to see the cracking of these two vacuum tubes in question, and let's keep our fingers crossed that you have no issue on the other end of those lines as shown in my video, or over the transmission for that matter.

And just so the in no confusion, yes my body is a 2005 GT, but with a 2011 Supersports drive train package I installed, hence, my solenoids up top.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 09-12-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:34 AM
Hi Johnny,

Thank you so much for your very detailed and informative post. My indy mechanic did not mention what the hose with the yellow arrow was for. I had a look at the vacuum line set up again, inspected the larger lines as best as I could from the top down and the smaller lines. I felt around the connection points in particular to feel for cracks but could not find any. The hiss is minor and sounds like its coming from the top area rather than deeper down so I think it might be best to send the car back to the indy mechanic for a more thorough assessment and take it from there.

Thank you once again Johnny for all your input. I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Regards,

JFIRL.