Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Converting Bentley GT From Air Suspension to Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 07:05 PM
Bent is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Converting Bentley GT From Air Suspension to Springs

Has anyone changed over their Bentley GT from air suspension to springs?
I know most people are going to cringe. I've got a 2005 GT that I'm thinking about doing it to.
Just wanted to know if anyone's done it before or had an opinion on it.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @Bent ,
I have not heard of this being done on a GT here in our forum, that I recall.

And yes, I am cringing... 😂

Strut masters has the four piece kit at 1429, but someone (Mr. Smith) asked a question 43 days ago, and they have yet to respond, I take into consideration when dealing with a company.

Johnny

Originally Posted by Bent
Has anyone changed over their Bentley GT from air suspension to springs?
I know most people are going to cringe. I've got a 2005 GT that I'm thinking about doing it to.
Just wanted to know if anyone's done it before or had an opinion on it.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @Bent ,

Strut masters has the four piece kit at 1429, but someone (Mr. Smith) asked a question 43 days ago, and they have yet to respond, I take into consideration when dealing with a company.

Johnny
Thank you Johnny for the info, I appreciate it!

Old 09-16-2022, 10:31 AM
Tommy305 is infamous around these parts
@Bent I have recently done this conversion and I gotta say the ride is pretty smooth I really wasn't expecting it to be this smooth. I did it on a 2007 flying spur. The kit comes with a module to get rid of any faults that occurs since you're disconnecting the entire system. To think after the install you will never have to worry about a suspension fault ever again... not that cringy but I understand the point some have, a car like this why would you hack it up, but to each his own.

back story I recently purchased the car from copart as a salvage repairable (very minor front end, I even heated up the front bumper to bring it back in shape that's how minor it was, a new AC condenser and grill and that was it.

A month later the front end was slammed to the ground one morning, upon further inspection it seems it was the passenger side strut leaking but that's unconfirmed I've been lurking and read so many posts about people trying to chase down issues and I don't like solving problems I like avoiding them, some people like the chase I do not. and who knows what else was coming so I decided to pull the trigger on the strutmaster conversion.

A very good mod and piece of mind if you ask me. I can travel across the country now without a worry on when the suspension will fault. It seems very cringe I know but if anyone is in the Miami area that would like to go for a ride and feel it out, it would be my pleasure. I attached some photos of the rear installed. Pretty straight forward.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:52 AM
Thank you for the info @Tommy305 ! I purchased the same kit from Strutmasters yesterday. I should be receiving it in the next few days and I'll update everyone once it's done.
My only concern was that they don't have a module to get rid of the code errors for the 2005 Bentley GT. Any ideas about that?

Last edited by Bent; 09-16-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:55 AM
Joe Sheehan is infamous around these parts
Tom

did you change the 2 fronts first or all 4 at same time. Company says need to x=change all of them ? my back are fine also any info on module used or from same company thank joe

Old 02-28-2023, 02:23 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I converted a circa 2005 Jaguar XJR from air springs to coil overs. Very similar system as the GT along with all of the headaches of an air suspension too. I would do it again in a minute.

As Tommy said - it works and peace of mind. I might not on a much newer Bentley but 05/06s are closing in on 20 years old. This is a reasonable time to "let go" and really make it a driver's car.

Last edited by BWings; 02-28-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:42 AM
NigelH is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello @Bent ,

... but someone (Mr. Smith) asked a question ...
Hey Johnny, see even "Mr Smith" wanted to hide his identity lol. That said I can imagine considering this myself.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-02-2023 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Fix QUOTE
Old 03-02-2023, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by NigelH
Hey Johnny, see even "Mr Smith" wanted to hide his identity lol. That said I can imagine considering this myself.
haha, if it was a newer car, I would have had it fixed. The car is 18+ years old. (2005) I've been using it as my daily driver for the past 16+ years.
Saving $16-18k was worth it. Now I don't have to worry about coming out to a leaning car in the morning.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:49 AM
2007Conti is infamous around these parts
The air suspension problems with these cars are right up there with the vacuum hose leaks IMHO. I have a 2007 Continental GT and have had air suspension problems in the past as well. I wouldn't hesitate for two seconds if I wanted to change to springs.

Like posted before, on an older car= no big deal. Late model, I would probably not do it.