Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

gt 2005 - the electric seat part under the knee

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 07:01 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
gt 2005 - the electric seat part under the knee

Hi,
I dont know how professionally call it - I am talking about the electric part of the seat under the knee you can move forward and backward.

On passenger side it is working ok.

On driver side I hear the motor, but it does not move. What can be broken and how to fix it? How to get into it.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:14 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
can it be correlated with the seat memory problem i described in other thread?

i dont think so but...

especially i hear the motor - so i would like to strip the seat but have no idea of the procedure

Old 01-19-2023, 09:31 AM
BruceR is infamous around these parts
The 'official' term is the "knee bolster" and the position is stored in the seat memory.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sazam
especially i hear the motor - so i would like to strip the seat but have no idea of the procedure
@sazam ,
Do you actually hear the motor spinning, or are you just hearing the relay clicking, or clicking from the seat control module that is mounted under each seat, or do you get a clunk clunk when you move the knee bolster switch for in and out ?

Johnny

Old 01-20-2023, 01:24 AM
motor is running - fwd and bckwd - i hear it - also the relay is heard - specific click

but no effect

Old 05-05-2023, 02:00 PM
Hey @Johnny Hotspur GT

it is highest moment to get into it.

Can you guide me how to disassembly the part - I dont want to broke anything.

As I answered to your question - the motor is running - but i dont get effect of it... no move fwd / bckwd.

Have you played with it in your project? What I should look for ? Any help appreciated!

Old 05-06-2023, 09:38 AM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
Sazam,

Wait for Johnny's reply since he knows how to trouble shoot these items, but did you ever get the ITES program? I know it has a section on how to remove the seats and then remove the front seat adjustment motors. Be careful with the seat, I believe it has an airbag and you don't want to set it off by mistake. Here is a diagram of where the motors are at. My guess would be either a small gear broke or got off of it's track.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:11 AM
MikeSpillerr is infamous around these parts
Could be a few things going on here, but most likely something's busted in the motor or the gear that moves the seat. Might also be an issue with the wiring, so don't forget to check that.

As for how to get into it, you'll probably have to take apart the seat and dig around a bit. It might be a pain in the a** depending on how the seat is put together, but you got this.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:19 AM
Thank you Guys.

@Mars911 - yes Johnny had the surgery specialty on it for sure

regarding ETIS - i dont have it, but i contacted bentley dealer with some problem some time ago and they were so kind to share with me pdf dump of one section (just few pages) of their service manuals software and - it looks like they have ELSA - cause the pictures were exactly in the elsa style - with color markers of parts etc - etis looks like very old sw compared to what i got from the dealer. Anyone has ELSA for bentley??? is it ELSA? i am just speculating yes but may be totally wrong - maybe it is newest version of ETIS

Old 05-06-2023, 02:55 PM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
Sazam,
The advantage of ITES is that it has both the ability to look up all of the parts, but also has the detailed instructions on how to take stuff apart and do all of the repairs. Here is the table of contents of ITES. It may not cover the newer cars, but the 2005's has what I need when combined with this forum. It's the best $31.60 you will spend on your 2005 Bentley.
Link to the 2005 Bentley GT Disc.

https://www.flyingspares.com/parts-w...01000-dvd.html

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-07-2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Live outside link
Old 05-06-2023, 03:48 PM
@Mars911 - so in IETIS you have the instructions how to get to this seat part (remove, disassemble etc? to get to the motor or gears or anything which moves the elements fw/bw) - can you put here some screenshots if yes?

Old 05-07-2023, 02:39 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @sazam ,
Being that you definitely hear the motor spinning, I would have to say it is a stripped gear, broken gear housing etc.

BUT,
The issue is that this whole assembly for the movement of the front seat cushion is sold as one assembly, no separate motor, or gear drive, the notes state the if the cushion motor fails, the complete extension assembly must be replaced, that is some bs...

Here are some pictures to see the motor and gear drive, also I am not sure if you will have the seat out of the vehicle, or if the cushion is extended forward at the moment to gain access to the 4 screws at the front of the cushion trim, you will have to remove the trim piece with the seat switches in it for proper access, as the one time use of the clip at the front of the seat on the spiral gear is tough to get off.
You can see how to remove the outer portion of the seat switch trim in my video below, starting at the 50 second mark, and ending around 1:58, I do not show the inner clip of the seat switch trim, but iirc, it is just a push pin ribbed type, I will double check that.

I just took the two gear drives I have from both of my GT flood seats off today to show you the pieces.

Note from IETIS as to motor and assembly, along with mounting points from extension frame assembly.

4 screws under the cushion plate.

Clip at the front on spiral gear.

2 nuts for mounting of the gear drive and motor to seat frame assembly.
These pictures are of both seats, so one already has the motor removed.

Gears.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-07-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2023, 03:19 PM
@Johnny Hotspur GT - thank you so much.

Looks like my next weekend is planned

I am not sure if i understood and assume correctly - all this i can do it having the seat not removed from the car? or no chance???

Old 05-07-2023, 03:55 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by sazam
@Johnny Hotspur GT - thank you so much.

Looks like my next weekend is planned

I am not sure if i understood and assume correctly - all this i can do it having the seat not removed from the car? or no chance???
Sazam,
I can not say for sure, (depending on body size ) I will say it will be tight, lift the seat to it's highest position and furthest back to gain more access up front.

I did all my brown seats red seats work with all of them out of the vehicle, the red electricly damaged seats were a nightmare to get out of the vehicle, as none of the modules were any good, and the same for each movement motors, no up/down or forward or back, I learned on the first red seat by destroying the front tilt motor and gear drive to see how it worked, I then removed the rest of the motors on both red seats and used an old speedometer cable with the square ends to fit in where the motors came out, then a screw gun on the other end of the cable to move the seats forward and back to gain access to the nuts and bolts holding the seat rails to the floor, the brown seats on the other hand, were easy, as they were 100% operational, so, you could move the seat forward and back to remove the nuts in the front and the bolts in the rear, then just tilt the seat towards the back to bring the front up higher, you may have to unplug the harness from the module, or you could just go full tilt to the rear like I did pictured below, of course then unplugging the module, but put heavy padding to protect the carpet from the seat rails from digging into the carpet, the brown interior leather and carpet were soaked in blood, so I didn't take any care to protect them as seen in my photos.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-07-2023 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-08-2023, 01:05 AM
@Johnny Hotspur GT - thank you - in case of gears issue - are there any way of fixing or find replacement gears (can it be disassembled?) or need to find deplacement of whole gear mechanism including motor?

if whole - are there replacements from other cars ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: gt 2005 - the electric seat part under the knee