Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Battery Maintainer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 05:22 AM
Tony Cocks is infamous around these parts
Battery Maintainer

Hello from Plymouth in the UK .

I recently purchased a Continental GT Speed manufactured in 2013.

The car was supplied with a genuine Bentley battery maintainer.

When in use it is attached to the car by means of a magnetic disc which adheres to a slot in the boot lid.

The device runs through its cycle and eventually displays two green lights when in maintenance mode .

However , on several occasions I have returned to the car which is kept in a locked garage to find that the device is displaying one green and one red light . According to the instructions book from C Tek , this indicates a problem with polarity .

Anyone else had this ?

Does this indicate some sort of fault ?

Old 02-07-2023, 07:27 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
this strange behaviours signal 2 options:

1. your battery is faulty and charging process fails occasionally - just need to buy new battery
2. smth wrong with your charger - try it on other battery and see if there are similar issues.

as a replacement of bentley charger you should go with ctek msx 7

Old 02-07-2023, 09:47 AM
BruceR is infamous around these parts
I have the same charger for my '16 GT. Sometimes I have to press the reset button on the CTEK when the lights are incorrect and then it's fine for another few weeks. Try resting and see how it goes as a first step.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:41 PM
US06GT is infamous around these parts
I have a 2006, in US. Somewhere I read here that both batteries were wired together so I charge the system (US on Drivers side) battery and both batteries have been fine. I am using a NOCO trickle charger. Fortunately I can garage this machine and when not in use it is on the charger. Batteries 2 years old, rarely have any problems with systems. I still swear that this machine is a power hog and really never sleeps and a fully charged system is one key to a low stress ownership. LOL

Old 02-09-2023, 09:56 PM
I agree with you. If I'm not planning on driving it for more than 2 days it goes on the charger. It's so easy on the Gen 2's that I almost do it automatically at the end of the day now. The Gen 2 charger has a magnetic disk that just sips into a slot under the trunk lid so it doesn't even need to be opened.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:14 AM
Gents, Thank you for mtaking the trouble to reply .
I think I've solved the problem by soaking a cotton wool bud with switch cleaner and cleaning the contacts on the charger , but more importantly the disc in the boot .
All connected up and haven't had a problem since .

Old 02-11-2023, 08:31 AM
Samhain is infamous around these parts
Guess your charger and your car aren't faulty after all.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the tip Tony! I hadn't given any thought to cleaning the contacts but it makes perfect sense since, even though sheltered by the boot lid, I'm sure dust and moisture accumulates on the contacts. I'll do it today!

Old 02-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Although I wasn't having any problems, I went ahead and cleaned them. Quite a bit of grime had accumulated under the lid so I'll add this to my maintenance list.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:35 PM
Well here's an interesting tidbit. Since getting the car 4 months ago, the green "maintain mode" LED indicator on the charger has never lit up. The best I've seen is the final stage "almost full" orange LED. A few hours after cleaning the magnetic disk under the lip of the boot lid the green LED finally lit up! Once again, thanks Tony, for solving a problem I didn't even know I had.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:52 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
btw - i have ctek msx 7 - and have gt under charging for few days - mode AGM - the charging indicator is on top (battery full icon) - and it stays there - i put voltmeter today to battery and see 13.48v - so it means the charger is charging - do you know how the mtce mode works? it charges periodically on 13.5level then stops and after some time again 13.5? i just hit the moment of charging? not sure how this particular ctek model works - earlier i used different producer and there i saw dedicated light with mtce icon here there is no such direct indicator so not know if all ok or not and my bat is all the time on higher voltage

Old 02-12-2023, 03:08 AM
BruceR , Glad for you .
The very great benefits of a worldwide forum such as 6speedonline !

Old 02-12-2023, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by sazam
btw - i have ctek msx 7 - and have gt under charging for few days - mode AGM - the charging indicator is on top (battery full icon) - and it stays there - i put voltmeter today to battery and see 13.48v - so it means the charger is charging - do you know how the mtce mode works? it charges periodically on 13.5level then stops and after some time again 13.5? i just hit the moment of charging? not sure how this particular ctek model works - earlier i used different producer and there i saw dedicated light with mtce icon here there is no such direct indicator so not know if all ok or not and my bat is all the time on higher voltage
The full manual for your charger is here: https://docs.rs-online.com/b54b/0900766b81270566.pdf
When the circled LED below is on you're in maintenance mode.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:43 AM
ty - so in my case i never reach the maintenance mode - i never saw any pulsing diode

Old 02-12-2023, 09:53 AM
If your batteries are more than 3 years old it may be time to replace.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer