Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

gt 2005 - removal cigar socket in the central panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2023 | 06:52 AM
|
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
gt 2005 - removal cigar socket in the central panel

hi,
I have no electricity there, need to do some inspection.
Do i need to remove the central pannel to get the cigar socket? or can be done without this (just removing from ashtray area?

ps. checked fuses, they are ok, not sure when the electricity should be - tried with and without puting the key into the socket and switching the ignition in ON position.

Old 03-11-2023 | 11:32 AM
BruceR is infamous around these parts
Ignition needs to be on.

Old 03-12-2023 | 09:41 AM
|
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
Hi, anyone can guide me, pleassseeeeee:

1. how to disconnect wiring from the cigar-socket , i tried but gave up - i dont want to broke anything
2. is there any bulb which illuminates in amber the circle around the cigar-lighter? i dont have here light - so bulb (or diode) need replacement???

thank you in advance!!!

ps. at least my car (2005) has the power ALL-TIME in the cigar sockets, no need to have ignition on.

Last edited by sazam; 03-13-2023 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2023 | 03:45 PM
dangme55 is infamous around these parts
I had no power on my 2007 when I got it. We changed out the fuse and it started working again.

The socket is just the right size to collect coins and other materials to short out or obstruct the outlet.

I have two more projects on my car. The Tesla style unit dropped to 800 bucks so I ordered one. I also have broken shifter gate cover. When I get the head unit I plan to pull both trim panels and try the Tesla style unit. Replace the roller cover and also remove the lighter socket and replace it with a 12V to USB connector. I think they are about the same size and no one smokes any more. You can get the converter/socket on EBay cheap. I think in the end it will be a much more 'elegant' solution than sticking one of the lighter socket connectors in there.

There are several videos on YT on pulling the console and the center dash panel without breaking anything.

Old 03-14-2023 | 07:30 PM
Amazon has the shift gate cover for only $30 now!

https://a.co/d/hZCMeHB

Old 03-15-2023 | 12:37 AM
|
@dangme55
yes, I managed to open central console - piece of cake, but... I am fighting with disconnecting the plug from cigar lighter - I have no idea if there is a lock or smth there to open to pull the plug?

@Johnny Hotspur GT
maybe you can tell/ instruct how to unplug this, please...

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited by sazam; 03-15-2023 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2023 | 01:46 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @sazam ,
I take it that you are talking about the wires under the black cap and not the white power plug, correct ?

If so, the wires under the black cap are not removable, they are crimped in place, they are not splade sockets slipped over the splade terminals, as you can see, they actually aren't full splade pieces, they are all crimped to their respective terminals and riveted in place to make the heating element's socket.

These are pictures of a damaged unit, but you can see the connections, I tried to remove each terminal, but no go.

I am going to send you a bill soon...

Johnny

Originally Posted by sazam
@dangme55
yes, I managed to open central console - piece of cake, but... I am fighting with disconnecting the plug from cigar lighter - I have no idea if there is a lock or smth there to open to pull the plug?

@Johnny Hotspur GT
maybe you can tell/ instruct how to unplug this, please...

Thank you so much in advance.

Old 03-15-2023 | 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by dangme55
I had no power on my 2007 when I got it. We changed out the fuse and it started working again.

The socket is just the right size to collect coins and other materials to short out or obstruct the outlet.

I have two more projects on my car. The Tesla style unit dropped to 800 bucks so I ordered one. I also have broken shifter gate cover. When I get the head unit I plan to pull both trim panels and try the Tesla style unit. Replace the roller cover and also remove the lighter socket and replace it with a 12V to USB connector. I think they are about the same size and no one smokes any more. You can get the converter/socket on EBay cheap. I think in the end it will be a much more 'elegant' solution than sticking one of the lighter socket connectors in there.

There are several videos on YT on pulling the console and the center dash panel without breaking anything.
If the existing lighter socket works leave it alone and just plug in one of these.(there are many others like it) that sits flush with the top of the socket. Looks nice and just pop in a new one if it ever fails. I use one with no problems.
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-15-2023 | 02:16 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
To add to my prior comments, here are the part numbers for each piece.

And to note, our lighter sockets are not like the Porsche, with the 3 blades that a plug plugs into.

Also, you might find that the power to your socket may turn off 10 minutes or so after you have shut down and left the vehicle, I am not 100 % on that at this moment, but I kind of remember my phone not charging after I left it with power at the time of exiting the vehicle, I will double check that, as I may be thinking of another one of my vehicles.

Johnny

Old 03-15-2023 | 02:34 PM
|
@Johnny Hotspur GT
thank you! your input is so valuable that i dont know if i will be able to pay the bill you are going to sent me

@BruceR
thank you too! Yes - now i found out that even illumination works, I was checking all stuff in sunny day and did not realised it works actually, but today drove the car at evening/night and looked at it and it just works.

regardign the powering, when i open the car and did not turn on ignition i had the power in this socket
then closed the care and still had power in this socket (i bought baseus usb charger with voltmeter and this voltmeter just showed 12.8v

maybe you Johnny are right that this powering may stop after 10mins, did not checked that,
on the other hand a colleague who has a phateon warned me that he had issues with battery and was wondering what is stealing the power,
and he realised it was his iphone charger connected to the cigar plug - all the time it sucked the energy.

btw,
tell me guys, you put here some images and I dont see this? or smth? see below - screenshot from Johnnys msg:

ok now i can not even upload image...

it looks like this

Hello @sazam ,
I take it that you are talking about the wires under the black cap and not the white power plug, correct ?

If so, the wires under the black cap are not removable, they are crimped in place, they are not splade sockets slipped over the splade terminals, as you can see, they actually aren't full splade pieces, they are all crimped to their respective terminals and riveted in place to make the heating element's socket.

These are pictures of a damaged unit, but you can see the connections, I tried to remove each terminal, but no go.

I am going to send you a bill soon...

Johnny

Last edited by sazam; 03-15-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2023 | 04:45 PM
Administrator
Hello @sazam ,
I just had the same issue today trying to upload the pictures, it just hung on zero percent, so I restarted my phone and tried again, a few pictures went, and one hung, so I screenshot it and uploaded it as another photo, and it worked, BUT, the big question is, are you not seeing the 8 pictures in my post number 7, or the 5 pictures in my post number 9 ?

Johnny

Old 03-16-2023 | 12:50 AM
|
@Johnny Hotspur GT
this was exactly what I copy/paste - some text from you, empty space, rest of the text.
And exactly the same problem I had with upload as you...

But today, I started 6speedonline and... I SEE ALL PICTURES.
The same problem I had with the TPMS Humor topic - for last few days i did not seen the content, and I thought it is kind of easter-egg or smth, that this is just empty topic.
Today I clicked this topic and saw the picture / screenshot.

Now I am wondering how many times you guys are talking about, put some pictures and I am wondering what is going on , and you may be wondering why I am asking something which was shown,
and in fact there were pictures I never seen. I wish there could be even some "broken icons" depicting the fact that there was some image but not visible to me, but it is not... is just empty space..

Going back to your pictures, yes I was talking about the black part you presented and now I know from you it is not to unplug. Thank you very much for clarification.
Btw - my cigar plug has the illumination and gives power, but the only thing is not working - this is absolutelly not important detail but would be great to know how to fix,
the cigar lightning is not "parked" for the time of heating. Hope you know what i mean. I should be able to press the cigar lighter and this cigar lighter should stay "pressed" until it get hot, and should go back automatically when it gets right temperature.

Front cigarlight does not work like that, the rear cigar lighter works ok. Have any idea how to fix it?
To be clear - when i press the cigar lighter and hold it pressed by my finger for few secs, then the lighter is getting temperature.

Last edited by sazam; 03-16-2023 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2023 | 07:33 AM
I have a charger plugged in to my lighter socket and it turns off immediately when I turn off the ignition.

Old 03-16-2023 | 08:24 AM
|
Originally Posted by BruceR
I have a charger plugged in to my lighter socket and it turns off immediately when I turn off the ignition.
you have younger car, maybe they mod smth.

Old 03-16-2023 | 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by sazam
you have younger car, maybe they mod smth.
It was the same when I had the '09.
As to your lighter, have you tried swapping the front & rear lighters? It may simply be a bad lighter element which you can replace (or just stop smoking!). The lighter socket itself just provides power. The "pop-up" of the lighter itself is internal to the lighter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: gt 2005 - removal cigar socket in the central panel